IGNORED

How do I know that I am not falling for the new age gimmicks?

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

9 hours ago, existential mabel said:

thanks RustyAngeL

it is now 4 months now that i have stopped taking medication as it was not addressing the hollowness inside and never ever did and  what with side effects. so i do get you there. i wonder if my malaise isnt purely spiritual. which is why i joined this forum. not big on debates though which is why i am not around much.

whilst at my sisters i happened to start joining up some spiritual dots i think, with regards to my sisters many challenges. (some of which are inherited through the family lines) could all be a figment of my imagination..and i dont know whether to broach it with her at some point. but it is a very touchy subject and i am not that brave.

faith hey once i can get my head out of the rabbit hole long enough...

~

Praying~!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Please don't discontinue medication without doctor's supervision.  I had a friend who was bi polar who decided that God had healed her, so she discontinued all her meds.  It did strange things to her and she took off all her clothes and walked down the center of a busy street in front of a middle school!  This resulted in her being institutionalized and I had not heard from her since.  I would never recommend discontinuing psych meds without a doctor's supervision.  They usually must have the dose decreased slowly, during which time they make sure you don't have bad withdrawal effects.  They also don't recommend using homeopathic teas or treatments because they may interfere with the medical prescriptions or cause bad effects.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

23 hours ago, MarleneF said:

I have always used music to help me especially when I was depressed. In the early 2000's, I was very physically ill, unable to do much, and I just felt like giving up on life.  I even stopped reading my Bible, praying and going to church.

I would pull out some of my old 60's and 70's music and listen to the sad songs. The I would feel prompted to listen to one Christian song, then another. Next thing you know, I was praising God, and slept like a baby.

In the end, I improved physically, but the depression and bitterness were still there. But God told me to read 5 Psalms a day. I did for a while, and God showed me amazing things about people and who he was!  In the end, I found a good church, started exercising and went back to playing music in church, and it turned me right around.

Now, that is not the kind of depression you have, I know - mine was circumstantial. Although, I have been through tremendous pain the last year, when the meds failed, but God had helped me grow enough that I did not go through that deep horrible depression, like I did before.

I think listening to the right kind of music is not new age - find Christian music that offers hope in Christ. And try reading the psalms every day. I heard Billy Graham did that, which is part of what inspired me. And try to get to a church and make friends, although that may seem impossible right now. But make it a future goal.

As for healing, there are no promises in the Bible we will get healing, despite the twisting of the Bible by some groups. Instead, God promises us - HIM!  

I do believe that you can improve but it will mean climbing out of that pit. And since it is too hard to do on your own, let us help you!  That is what the body of Christ is for.

Praying and God bless!

thankyou so much for your post it quite made me cry. the reason being is that i struggle every day totally on my own with it.

coming here to this forum has been helpful and thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words. its seems i am going through both dark depression and intense anxiety but as i  say to people, (who maybe ask me how i am on rare occaisions ) "apart from that i am fine" FINE means "Feelings Inside Not Expressed". i could put it far stronger than that but this is a Christian forum!!

again at the mo i am unable to listen to music as i am constantly getting triggered. may have to listen to prescriptive music once again for persistent depression.

3 hours ago, Willa said:

Please don't discontinue medication without doctor's supervision.  I had a friend who was bi polar who decided that God had healed her, so she discontinued all her meds.  It did strange things to her and she took off all her clothes and walked down the center of a busy street in front of a middle school!  This resulted in her being institutionalized and I had not heard from her since.  I would never recommend discontinuing psych meds without a doctor's supervision.  They usually must have the dose decreased slowly, during which time they make sure you don't have bad withdrawal effects.  They also don't recommend using homeopathic teas or treatments because they may interfere with the medical prescriptions or cause bad effects.  

thanks Willa. but my problem is anxiety and depression. i just dont do excitement/exhilaration. its more a flat line and dip in my case. my sister did mention to me to go and have a chat to the chemist as they know more about medication than the doc does. as i was considering taking 5htp and then i read the side effects which could be life changing and that freaked me out that was back in feb 16 i think.

the trouble with mh is that part of me thinks i haven't a problem( and what with society's attitude that perpetuates this) and the other part is experiencing the mh and no i did not stop taking the medication because i was starting to feel better. medication has never made me feel better. it has NEVER addressed the hollowness that i experience on a daily basis with or without drugs. all a bit hopeless really.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I agree about stopping medication without a doctors OK and under his supervision.  It can be and is dangerous.  I knew a man who was a full blown alcoholic, he tried to quit cold turkey ended up in the hospital very sick.  God is the Great Physician and can do all things, but he does expect us to use common sense.  Don't stop believing for a total deliverance. He can do it many ways.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

On March 6, 2016 at 2:53 PM, existential mabel said:

I struggle with both anxiety and depression and over the years I have tried and done much to prevent myself from getting into such a black pit of, blah blah blah

Just lately I am listening to some music that is for various things like happiness, helping with falling asleep to name a couple. In the run up to Christmas last year I was in a dark place and I looked on the web for help. I use this music to get through the day and when I am at my parents to manage my anxiety/depression levels.

For 2 years or more I had not been able to listen to any music as it triggered anxiety/depression. I stopped looking at yahoo news as I had anxiety from the sheer volume of negativity. Not like I can do anything to change it. So I decided to no longer read it.

I know we are not supposed to do things in our own strength. I am not sure where listening to this music comes in where that is concerned. The medication is pitifully rubbish and anyway I read something that anti depression medication and serotonin levels are not scientifically proven. But the pharmaceuticals companies still make the claim that by taking anti depressants it will help with the chemical imbalance. Ie serotonin levels.

anyway by taking medication isn’t that trying to do things in my own strength? The next thing that springs to mind is why God won’t heal me from the curse of mh? I mean it’s totally robbed me of any meaningful life. Life is just about managing the mh and not much room for anything else. So why does God sit back and watch me being so inept. What does this serve for Him or me?

I constantly feel disconnection like I am not plugged in. everything feels grey and now I am having to fake it to even keep to a “basic normal” surely God doesn’t want this for my life?

Allow me to state the issue you face cannot be solved except by the blood of Jesus from that Golgotha (or Calvary, Lk. 22) hill far away. 

Satan once had me so depressed I questioned whether I was or was not human, and praise God he did not let me commit the great sin of self-murder in spite of begging for death to escape Satan's horrid temptations for unspeakable evils. Quote scripture when he manifests (Mt., Lk. four).

You face a spiritual battle, not with the powers or principalities of flesh, but of the devil, Eph. 6.12 AKJB. The answer lies in the problem: you have looked away from Christ crucified, friend. You need to repent, get back to that tree immidiately. The weapons of our warfare are mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds, but dare not try on your own! When you shut the front door, but not the back, Satan is wise enogh to go through the back door! What did Micheal say when contending with Satan? Jude said he durst not bring a railing accusation; he said, "the LORD rebuke thee".

Touching on music, there is much power in it. The Babylonian king commanded, Dan. three, all to worship or die at the music. The drumbeat changes the brain wave. If you listen to rock, rap or any other worldly music, it will depress you farther. Those musicians (read occultists) have made pacts with hell similar to that described in Isaiah 28. The following musicians have long described occult phenomina such as automatic writing, spirits summoned &c.: Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, Frank Zappa, KISS, whose frontman Gene Simmons said in a 1980s Letterman interview echoing those before him back to the boogie woogie days in the Great Depression, that rock is sex with a 100 megaton bomb- the beat! (See the David Cloud book Rock & Roll's War Against God from wayoflifeliterature.org.) Consider Isa. 14.11 KJB, as well as Amos 5.17-21 or thereabouts. Classical music is plauged with it also. Paganini was said to have orbs (devils) floating about him; Mozart was a free mason (read Luciferian solar phallic Hyram Abiff cult). Many CCW/CWM material is just like the world. I encourage you to get that trash out of the house; when it goes many of those evil spirits tormenting you will. Instead, consider getting the KJB on audio as well as some of the old hymns to sing. Hymnals are cheap enough. http://lifeway.com/Product/baptist-hymnal-2008-pew-edition-M00000211See Col. 3.16, Eph. 5.16-18. Good idea turning off the news; per the first Psalm, give the TV the boot. It helps all the more. Try not to be alone from fellowship. Lastly, consider fasting at least once a week (I do it Sunday skipping lunch to pray and fast- as will be for you, friend) to chasten the soul and seek God is mighty helpful. DO NOT, I pray you, do it for the sake of being freed but for to "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you", Mt. 6.33, Lk. 12, lest the devil hang you with a threefold cord.

Praying for you, fellow Christian, 

SGB

Edited by Sovran Grace Baptist

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

See as well Mk. 14.36, Rom. 8.15 in addition to Gal. 4.16 AKJB.

• 1 month later...

Bluebird yes i have lots of crud! over the years i have been gradually addressing it. but i did that without the LORD but i wonder if he didn't indeed have a hand in me deciding to make a start on the overwhelming mess i call my life.

i like that

One of the most effective prayers I ever prayed was who, Lord Jesus, do You think I am. This led to a journey of discovery that no matter how badly some people chose to think of me, Jesus disagreed, and part of my submitting to Him was to agree to let Him be right about me being a worthwhile person.

that is something i will have a go at. the news and the media in general are a trigger for the anxiety, so best to, "not even go there"

On 12/06/2016 at 1:11 AM, Sovran Grace Baptist said:

Allow me to state the issue you face cannot be solved except by the blood of Jesus from that Golgotha (or Calvary, Lk. 22) hill far away. 

Satan once had me so depressed I questioned whether I was or was not human, and praise God he did not let me commit the great sin of self-murder in spite of begging for death to escape Satan's horrid temptations for unspeakable evils. Quote scripture when he manifests (Mt., Lk. four).

You face a spiritual battle, not with the powers or principalities of flesh, but of the devil, Eph. 6.12 AKJB. The answer lies in the problem: you have looked away from Christ crucified, friend. You need to repent, get back to that tree immidiately. The weapons of our warfare are mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds, but dare not try on your own! When you shut the front door, but not the back, Satan is wise enogh to go through the back door! What did Micheal say when contending with Satan? Jude said he durst not bring a railing accusation; he said, "the LORD rebuke thee".

Touching on music, there is much power in it. The Babylonian king commanded, Dan. three, all to worship or die at the music. The drumbeat changes the brain wave. If you listen to rock, rap or any other worldly music, it will depress you farther. Those musicians (read occultists) have made pacts with hell similar to that described in Isaiah 28. The following musicians have long described occult phenomina such as automatic writing, spirits summoned &c.: Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, Frank Zappa, KISS, whose frontman Gene Simmons said in a 1980s Letterman interview echoing those before him back to the boogie woogie days in the Great Depression, that rock is sex with a 100 megaton bomb- the beat! (See the David Cloud book Rock & Roll's War Against God from wayoflifeliterature.org.) Consider Isa. 14.11 KJB, as well as Amos 5.17-21 or thereabouts. Classical music is plauged with it also. Paganini was said to have orbs (devils) floating about him; Mozart was a free mason (read Luciferian solar phallic Hyram Abiff cult). Many CCW/CWM material is just like the world. I encourage you to get that trash out of the house; when it goes many of those evil spirits tormenting you will. Instead, consider getting the KJB on audio as well as some of the old hymns to sing. Hymnals are cheap enough. http://lifeway.com/Product/baptist-hymnal-2008-pew-edition-M00000211See Col. 3.16, Eph. 5.16-18. Good idea turning off the news; per the first Psalm, give the TV the boot. It helps all the more. Try not to be alone from fellowship. Lastly, consider fasting at least once a week (I do it Sunday skipping lunch to pray and fast- as will be for you, friend) to chasten the soul and seek God is mighty helpful. DO NOT, I pray you, do it for the sake of being freed but for to "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you", Mt. 6.33, Lk. 12, lest the devil hang you with a threefold cord.

Praying for you, fellow Christian, 

SGB

hello Sovran Grace Baptist
gosh i have just noticed you have sent a post - been in a black one for a wee while. for a long time now i have not been able to listen to music.

trying to get back into fellowship in fact i feel driven to get back to it. not much of a social animal. i can do long stretches without the need of people. its like people create confusion within me and so i need time out.

DO NOT, I pray you, do it for the sake of being freed but for to "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you", Mt. 6.33, Lk. 12, lest the devil hang you with a threefold cord.

ah ha being freed is an illusion. yes the deepness with God is the way

sorry its taken me so long to get back to you. thanks for your prayers

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

On 7/19/2016 at 10:37 PM, Bluebird said:

I have a suspicion that there are lies you believe about yourself that are the root of your depression.

Without reference to any other aspect in this thread,   just a footnote for research of sorts from my own experience,

there was a year when everything that could go wrong went wrong,  and unknowingly I got into a kind of mild and probably 'clinical'(testable) depression but didn't know it.   (my co-workers noticed it).  (they didn't say anything until after the following> )

For reasons other than and not even related to depression, I started taking the happy pills.  (LEGAL).  I did not know they were called "HAPPY PILLS" - no one had noted that to me.   But I was drinking two pots of coffee , give or take some,  practically every day (especially when I was on night duty in the pharmacy) ....

and read that drinking that much water, soda, or coffee,   could DEPLETE the body of much needed resources (vitamins that were water soluble), 

so just as a preventive measure (for me at the time, my motive),  I went to the commissary and bought a cheap generic brand and started taking one tablet twice a day.  

... .... days went by ... ....

.... .... weeks went by ... .... 

... ... a couple months or more went by .....

and friends and co-workers started asking me "WHY are you HAPPY ? or "SO happy" ?   I < shrugged > and said just by faith and grace I guess,  I didn't know any difference from the past, or realize it....

Then I joined a layman's group for nutrition locally (on whidbey island) and mentioned the co-worker's and friend's question.

So they asked me what I was taking,   "apple cider vinegar" (to eliminate/prevent 40 or more deficiency diseases) twice a day,  and "happy pills" twice a day likewise .....  (only I didn't say 'happy' at the time, I only found out now, here at the meeting when I brought it up)...  

They knew immediately why I was so happy,  and told me so.

My beliefs, doubts, thinking, habits, life, was all together the same except for that one change ,  and

that made ALL THE DIFFERENCE.  (not just in alleviating depression I didn't realize I had had;  but also many other deficiency troubles that could have/ would have occurred later in life if I didn't correct it) .....

p.s. I am continually joyful, throughout all the years, no matter the circumstances,  and have unparalleled peace in my spirit, likewise, as I live in union with Y'SHUA as written in the NT, as the other followers of Y'SHUA likewise had.