• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/11/1995

I'm not a new Christian by any means. I was raised in the faith and so maybe that's where I struggle. I feel like I've become apathetic and lazy in my devotion to God and I guess I was wondering how you all manage it? Like, how do I stop being apathetic and make my life revolve around Christ, like I know it should? Any suggestions? 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Apathy is a 'disease' of the natural man. Practice makes perfect, I think a taste for caring, can be aquired, practice it, act like you care more, until it becomes a habit! And of course, pray, ask God to give you a heart after His own heart.

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/11/1995

Thank you (: It really puts it in perspective when I hear apathy as a disease rather than a state of being, ya know? 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

8 minutes ago, AliceJane said:

I'm not a new Christian by any means. I was raised in the faith and so maybe that's where I struggle. I feel like I've become apathetic and lazy in my devotion to God and I guess I was wondering how you all manage it? Like, how do I stop being apathetic and make my life revolve around Christ, like I know it should? Any suggestions? 

~

Welcome~!

~

To Know Him Is To Love Him

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

Love, Your Brother Joe 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  03/08/1973

2 hours ago, AliceJane said:

only way (and i did seek YEARS for some other way) is - read Bible. if i get lukewarm or as you say (because it feels like this) apathetic,  i just force myself read Bible. first just one chapter at time or even less. every day.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Content Count:  210
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Like I always say MAKE SURE YOUR SAVED. Examine yourself to see if your in the faith. MEDITATE DAILY in word and prayer. Confess any known sin because unconfessed sin can be the cause of your apathy. Evil heart of UNBELIEF departing from the living God!  Apathy! 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

On 12/03/2016 at 11:43 PM, AliceJane said:

Like, how do I stop being apathetic and make my life revolve around Christ, like I know it should? Any suggestions? 

You said "I was raised in the faith". Ask yourself (not for publication):

1. Do I know that I have been born again?

2. Do I know that the Holy Spirit lives within me?

3. Have I been baptized as a believer?

4. Has anyone attempted to disciple me?

5. Am I in fellowship with other believers?

6. Am I looking beyond myself to the spiritual and material needs of others?

7. Do I read and study the Bible diligently?

8. Do I pray regularly for others?

Apathy indicates a lack of goals and objectives in your life. All the the above can give you the focus and zeal that you need.

• 8 months later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Die daily each time you don't the old man awakens the old man must die every day 

They are NEW every morning Great is THY faithfulness

You only can do this by daily word KJV And prayer

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The cold and indifferent nature of dead things should be a motivation for us to produce s/Spiritual light without... for God can make the dead things live!  Love, Steven

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,550
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi all,

May I be a bit of the contrarian  for a moment?

Please indulge my own thought about apathy.

I believe it is addressed within the seventh letter to the churches rather directly, and it is addressed to an entire community of Christians, a local body of Christ, as something from which each person must be  repentant. Revelation 3:14-22.

That the consequence of apathy is not light at all, but eternally severe.

With all that dire preface, let me add that I  suffer from apathy often enough to know it, and have to face it down, own it, and repent from it, by attacking the contentment that got me lazy minded in my reading, my prayer, my study, and my application of the Word, the precepts and law of God that I should endeavor to  always dig into deeply and praise my Lord Jesus for it in word and in deed. Basically I can get lazy then find fault in  the church the local body and myself for not moving fast enough to suit me.

I fail, as I am not anywhere near a state of full sanctification. I fail and it is my fault alone. That is when I have to see myself as being out in front of God's will for my own life, and discontent because God isn't moving along as fast as I  demand of Him.  A very foolish mindset, but it happens. The result is; things don't go my way at all, and I soon become apathetic.

Once I  see my error, my sin, has formed yet again, and ask forgiveness of my own sin of , well -arrogance, and wait on my Lord to direct my goals and my acts to His plan for me. I start to do much better yet again.

As a conclusion I don't think we should  find any comfort in our apathy, I don't think it is a disease, least not in that  it came upon me from without for  it is  me. It is my doing. I need repent personally and not find any other source cause or blame. It is always me.

And the only way out for me is to sit in my "prayer closet" wait, and read the word, -and pray,- and ask help, - and own up to my apathy  and then ask what will you have of me - when will you want me to do  or hear your command for me to follow Lord?

As I said, perhaps a bit contrarian and not something that brings comfort to the problem of apathy. It is the solution for me is all I can say. May you all be led of God to find your own way to handle that which is called apathy, every time it becomes an issue.

"14 “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation.

15 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. 19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”

ESV

Thank you for indulging my thoughts. I am interested in contrasting ideas as well as additional Bible references that may guide.

Edited by Neighbor
typos and clarification of a sentence