• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  8

Just now, angels4u said:

As Christians, we all entered in Gods rest the day we became born again.

Jesus fulfilled the law and the law is written in our hearts:

God's Righteous Judgment
…14Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the Law, do by nature what the Law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the Law, 15since they show that the work of the Law is written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness,and their thoughts either accusing or defending them.16This will come to pass on that day when God will judge men’s secrets through Christ Jesus, as proclaimed by my gospel.…

The early Christians came together on the first day of the week :

Really Sabbath should be in our hearts every day..( resting in Gods grace)

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--Ephesians 2:8 

Acts 20:7 doesn't say it was on a sabbath

Guest shiloh357
10 minutes ago, Spock said:

I think I stated I believe in keeping all 10 commandments so I'm not singling any one out. 

Maybe not you, but there does seem to be a general tendency among those who believe in keeping the Sabbath, that it be the point by which others' faithfulness to God is tested.    Many like me see the Sabbath as being embodied and personified in Jesus.   Jesus is our Sabbath and from that perspective, we are not ignoring the 4th commandment.

Hey shiloh, I would love to read your interpretation of this OT passage as related to our discussion here if you don't mind:

Thus says the LORD: "Keep justice, and do righteousness, for soon my salvation will come, and my righteousness be revealed. Blessed is the man who does this, and the son of man who holds it fast, who keeps the Sabbath, not profaning it, and keeps his hand from doing any evil." Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the LORD say, "The LORD will surely separate me from his people"; and let not the eunuch say, "Behold, I am a dry tree." For thus says the LORD: "To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose the things that please me and hold fast my covenant, I will give in my house and within my walls a monument and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off. "And the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, to minister to him, to love the name of the LORD, and to be his servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath and does not profane it, and holds fast my covenant - these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer; their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples." The Lord GOD, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, declares, "I will gather yet others to him besides those already gathered." (Isa. 56:1-8)

Well to start off with, it's God speaking to primarily Judah.  Judah/Jerusalem is the addressee in this text. Notice what God wants:

• Keep justice
  • Do righteousness
  • Keep the Sabbath from profaning it.
  • Does no evil  

This holds true for both the eunuch and the foreigner that joins himself to the Lord. And there are rewards for both of them who are faithful to be obedient to the Lord in those areas and who serve the Lord with a sincere heart that loves Him. 

He also states that their sacrifices will be acceptable in God's temple as it will be a house of prayer for all people.    He ends that passage with a promise to gather more of the House of Israel than the outcasts of Israel that He has already gathered.  

I don't think there is a lot to "interpret."  Appears pretty straight forward as to God's promises to Judah, as well as his promise about the House of Israel to the north.

I don't see that you can use that to create a doctrine of the Sabbath for the Church.   The verbiage is clearly limited in scope to ancient Judah/Israel.

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  480
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

Yes, but he commanded that to Israel, not to the Church.

Who told you that?  It is not Biblical....

I chose to follow God's word, and His ten commandments...Exodus 20, John 14.15 Matthew 19.17 and will continue to do so. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Just now, worthy said:

Acts 20:7 doesn't say it was on a sabbath

You're right , it was most likely on a Sunday..the first day of the week.

Just now, heretoeternity said:

I chose to follow God's word, and His ten commandments...Exodus 20, John 14.15 Matthew 19.17 and will continue to do so. 

I agree!

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

20 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

Spock are you SDA ? Just wondering. 

No. I don't really attend a formal religion, I just try to follow the Bible as best as I can. 

A few of us who believe Saturday is the day of rest and who want to exalt the Lord on that day come over my house and we worship, enjoy, and rest in the Lord.

Guest shiloh357
Just now, heretoeternity said:

Every passage of Scripture is like an envelope.   An envelope we send through the mail has two addresses, one for the sender and one for the recipient.   So every passage of Scripture has an audience and an author.   The audience in the OT regarding the Sabbath was primarily the children of Israel, not the church.  We don't take what God gave to Israel and obligate the church to those commandments.   The commandments to the Church are outlined for us in the NT. 

You can do what you want.   I don't care, really.  You can keep the Sabbath if you led that way.  That's really none of my concern, one way or the other.   My point is that you have no right to condemn those who don't keep the Sabbath.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

1 minute ago, angels4u said:

Not quite.

It was on the 1st day of the week.  But not in New York City,  or France, or China.

It was on the 1st day of the week in Israel,  (where the 1st day of the week starts at sunset when Shabbat ends.

Since Paul spoke until midnight,  this further confirms they started about when or after Shabbat ended, (the sun went down),  and talked for hours with the lamps burning for light (as it is written), until midnight (as it is written) and continuing....

The Jews did not use "Americaneze" names of days, nor did their days start at midnight like Americans.

3 minutes ago, angels4u said:

But we can't go by most likelys. The original sabbath was on a Saturday the 7 day of the week. A MAN Changed the day.  A.D. 325, Pope Sylvester officially named Sunday “ the Lord's Day".

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

10 minutes ago, Spock said:

Wayne,

If you don't mind, would you please answer my question in my previous post to you. I'm taking notes. I'm not trying to trick you, just trying to learn. 

Spock eagerly waiting, and thanks

No we are not under any of the ten commandments, we are under Jesus's two mainly along with a few like being baptized and the few that Peter gave to Paul for gentiles. 

I might add that if you live by Jesus' laws it demands that you don't even want to break the others.....  but when you teach following the ten commandments you don't cover the spiritual side of it and can lead people astray.

I would ask you to read the last half of Matthew chapter 25 and tell me which of the ten commandments (those people who Jesus said was going to hell) those people broke.  From that it seems that one could live ones whole life never breaking the ten commandments and still go to hell.