Church Home Groups??

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I have been in home groups that became very twisted.  If an elder is in charge it is much better.  Some are just prayer groups with no teaching.  Some discussed the Sunday sermon.  Some went though Navigators Bible studies.  But in one a guy stood up, told us he was a prophet and we would go to hell if we didn't follow him.  I reported this to our pastor.  It should have been the group leader who took care of it or reported it.  In one an out of work believer used it as a platform for selling his gummy vitamins, a pyramid scheme.  Another decided that my husband was an unbeliever because he would not commit to the group and they told our pastor as much.  (My hubby had led an elder to the Lord, which dispelled that rumor.)  

Our church's Wednesday night service is like a large home group.  We have a bout 50 regulars who share prayer request that we immediately pray for the request.  Sometimes a pastor prays.  Often the person who made the request prays or and elder prays.  Sometimes people gather around the person and pray for them.  It is very informal.  People are free to ask questions about scriptures they don't understand.  Sometimes people testify or tell of answers to prayer.  We do this for about an hour or more before we start the weekly Bible study which is led by a pastor.  There are also smaller services on Sunday night in which they share a meal.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

5 hours ago, algots said:

Actually, I think it's symptomatic of the American Church, in general.  People, in America, don't want to be taught. They want to have their beliefs reinforced. They despise anyone who tells them other than that which they want to hear. They have itching ears and seek out those who will scratch them.

i think this is very true - by what i read in Christian forums, it seems common, though online communities may be a skewed representation of the churches in general, because people who have not found fellowship in their own cities, may seek it here more often. 
i can tell you, in the church God led me to here, where i live now, it is not so - the Spirit of Truth lives in these people, and i truly "thank God at every rememberance" of them. truly, i am blessed, especially now i realize it, comparing my own experience to some of the ones related in this thread. 
but even in this church, we probably only have 20-25% of the congregation that appears on a sunday morning, also involved in smaller groups and study and prayer in addition. i really wish that this was 100%

but i do think it's also all too common among Americans in general - maybe of all people, but i wouldn't know - that we would rather complain about problems, than to lift a finger to resolve them. we tend to just walk away, and later gossip and fuss about everything we see going wrong. we hear that so often, too often, about people who abandon churches because of "hypocrisy" or "bad teaching" -- but who stays in these places, and labors to make the truth known where deceit has prevailed? or to urge those who confess Christ to live in a way that matches what they profess to believe? 
of course i'm not pointing fingers at anyone -- if i am, i'm pointing them at myself. i am convicted, that if God has given me understanding, that it is not for me alone, but to help others in the body of Christ also to understand - we are all for each other, and i am for everyone. this is the Spirit that works in the home groups that i attend - and we all glorify Christ alone, because we all confess that it is God working through us, not ourselves, to bring us to truly love each other, and grow in grace & knowledge of Him.

i am so blessed! i hope that all of you can also find such joy in fellowship with others, and in the Lord, through each other. pray for it and seek it! and encourage each other to do the same. i can't stress enough how good it is, to be more deeply immersed in Him, and not to be content with one or two days a week  just sitting quietly, being "preached at" -- & i don't mean at all to speak against pastors and what has become the traditional 'system' of American church services: it has its place, and its time, and its benefit. but friends, this is not the fullness of the abundant life that God has purposed us for. surely more than one man in a body of 100's is gifted to teach, to prophesy, to edify. we are all given gifts of God, all for each other's benefits - and if all you ever do is be a spectator in a pew, you are missing out, and others are missing out on what God has put in you for their benefit! love one another, as He loves you - get up and be involved; be fully immersed in Him! 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  14

Bible studies or home fellowships are good and bad,

the good you have really god seeking bible study and really good people attentive to a study and gathering and praying for each other , and a close bond, and the presence of God and the spirit can be felt, that's a good one,

the bad one, I went to the last one a few months ago, when I got there six two to five year olds screaming and running around the house, like crazy, and then they had a cat, I am allergic to cats, and the cat jumps up into my lap, I start to water at my eyes , and listen to a guy say I couldn't get the oil filter change on my car and I think God is mad at me, it was all about people and problems,

it was aweful. so I had really good fellowships, and then chaos and crazy bad ones,

so I believe it all depends on who is leading it and how serious you take study of the bible,

so good luck with that, and blessings to you

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

My experiences with home fellowships (probably 10 or so of them over the last 33 years, have all been positive, and each one unique. They were all small groups, 6 to 15 people I would guess, and there were all under the supervision of a "regular" church. I mention this, because i think in that, there are some important things. If a home church forms from a couple of like minded individuals, perhaps with one who tends to be more a leader, perhaps charismatic (in the secular sense of the word, not the scriptural sense) and seems to have better than average Bible knowledge, I think that can be dangerous. I would not be surprised to learn that major cults like Mormonism and Jehovah's witnesses, or that mess near Waco Texas a few decades ago (Branch Davidians) did not start out with good intentions among a handful of people vulnerable to being deceived.

That is why I think it is a better idea to have the supervision of a larger church, one that has been stable is sound doctrine, and is mature as an asset to the community of faith. In my opinion, then best purpose of a home church group, is as an augmentation to a larger church, not a replacement for one. Larger churches tend to have the advantage of pooling many resources, and stability, but they often fall short in that is it too easy to be anonymous in a large church body. Church, is the people of God, relating to each other on a personal level, we are family. Too often in a large church, a person can attend, here a sermon, and then go home, never really getting to know anyone.

In the home church setting, it is often possible to ask questions and gain insights, that would be awkward or difficult the the 'big church' format. It is easier to receive and offer prayers for each other. Many home churches, create opportunities to help each other, help other church members, even to minister to the unsaved in ways, that might not be available or practical in the big church. There is also the matter or having more personal accountability. In my experience, it seems as though people regularly involved in home churches in addition to their main church, grow better, they seem to be more mature in their faith, but, maybe it is more that case that mature Christians are more likely to attend home fellowships, that it is a fact that home fellowships help them mature, I do not know.

As a recommendation, I suggest that a home fellowship not be seen as a way to avoid conformity with a larger congregation, but as a way to fill the gaps not met in the larger congregation, and that the home fellowship be under the authority and supervision of a larger congregation, that is dedicated to sound, Biblical doctrine and practices.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blesssings,,,,,

Like Omegaman ,I too have had positive experiences over the years with home fellowship groups but I will have to lean towards gdemoss's reply with this particular one,,,,,,,

I would be wary of anyone who says ,come to find out, without first openly explaining to me what it is I am coming to see or be part of.

I cannot see why anyone would not take 5 minutes of their time to tell you what it is about ?  You did say "friends" at 3 different churches,,,,,,,I am wondering "who" is asking & are these churches affiliated in some way with one another? May I ask what kind of "church" you are referring to? (eg:non-denominational Christian ,SDA,JW,church of ?????)                                                With love-in Christ,Kwik   

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/30/1968

I say this while feeling some conviction because I have not been part of a small group bible study in a while. In my experience small groups are where growth happens. For me, it is impossible to have deep fellowship in a large church setting. We are called to fellowship, not just attend church. I believe that where scripture talks about fellowship it is clear that it’s more than just greeting one another in church and attending together.

Acts 2:42 They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

1 Cor 14:26 What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation Let all things be done for edification.

Acts 1:14 These all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.

James 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

Galatians 6:2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

As I read these many of the instructions for us are very personal. I do not break bread or confess my sins or share what the Spirit is doing in and through me in a Sunday church environment, it’s just not the right place. We bear each other’s burdens by investing in our brothers and sisters one person at a time. A healthy small group is a great way to do in fellowship the things that we are called to do. I would encourage anyone to pray about their participation in a small group bible study. If there isn’t one available, I would encourage you to ask your church about starting one.

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.

Edited by johnc5055
spelling

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 3/23/2016 at 9:47 AM, Reinitin said:

Home groups can be awesome or they can be horrible. It depends on the leaders and the group dynamics. A lot of churches grow so large and some times the people of the congregation come from different neighborhoods and towns, so no strong relationships are built and there becomes a lack in discipleship, prayer support and mentoring. So large churches create home groups (which we see in the new testament and acts) in geographical areas for people to meet for one on one ministry and bible study. Some churches are careful and pick mature hosts that meet the biblical standards and criteria for church leadership and home groups can be wonderful. But some church groups don't and they can just create bad doctrine, gossip meetings or cult start ups. when there is no mature leadership.

I would agree with you Reinitin,  We as believers need to be wise as serpents and gentle as doves. Make sure everything you here can be backed up with scripture.  If not..... Run

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Is Prayerful Flower even here ,,,it has been a while since we heard from her I think? This Topic is from 3 months ago

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  187
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/23/2016 at 7:24 AM, enoob57 said:

We have started this in our Church and it is a way for the Pastor through the people to bond and minister in a personal
way ....  I have noticed that I am drawn closer to the people in the group as I hear The Spirit of God in them-> that would
not have happen in a larger setting! Their struggles become my struggles, their needs become my needs, their lives
become precious to me where before it was more ethereal and spiritualized...   Love, Steven 

On 3/23/2016 at 8:47 AM, Reinitin said:

Home groups can be awesome or they can be horrible. It depends on the leaders and the group dynamics. A lot of churches grow so large and some times the people of the congregation come from different neighborhoods and towns, so no strong relationships are built and there becomes a lack in discipleship, prayer support and mentoring. So large churches create home groups (which we see in the new testament and acts) in geographical areas for people to meet for one on one ministry and bible study. Some churches are careful and pick mature hosts that meet the biblical standards and criteria for church leadership and home groups can be wonderful. But some church groups don't and they can just create bad doctrine, gossip meetings or cult start ups. when there is no mature leadership.

Conviction and Repentance also is feasible at least in small groups.   

People's lives are potentially at least more open and exposed (as in the NT) , and people must repent or leave in accordance with God's Directions.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

On 3/23/2016 at 0:05 AM, Prayerful Flower said:

Can some one please explain -Church Home Groups- a few friends from  3 different Churches invited me to thier "Home Group" I ask whats it about? and all my replies are come to find out. I want to check them out ut don't want to walk into something I am spiritually unprepared for, is that a true reason to stay away?

I don't understand why they couldn't tell you what is was about. A church home group could be about anything. Like Bible study or learning how to win others to Christ, or anything else. If it was me, and they can not simply tell me what they are studying; I wouldn't go. But that is just me. If they keep asking push them from more info. Ask them what are they studying or what they do. You can also ask God about.