IGNORED

Does A Christian Need To Speak/Pray in Tongues To Filled and Empowed With The Holy Spirit

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

On 15/05/2016 at 11:41 PM, SINNERSAVED said:

so tell me can you interpret your own tongue as you speak, and what does it do for you and how does this work,

Since OO explained that he does not speak publicly, there is no need to bring up the issue of interpretation. He already explained what his gift does and how it works, so once again there is no need to hammer on this as you are doing.

There are many genuine Christians who believe that they have a prayer language for their personal use. Disputing personal experience leads nowhere. 

On the other hand, what we see in Acts chapter 2 is a supernatural manifestation of the power of the Holy Spirit.  And that should be the basis of understanding the gift of tongues (which should really have been called the gift of languages, since the Greek word dialektos -- dialect -- is used in Acts 2:8).  

The Bible does say "whether there be tongues, they shall cease" (1 Cor 13:8), and I believe that when the apostolic age came to an end, supernatural linguistic ability came to an end. The New Testament was completed in Greek by 90 AD, and Greek was the lingua franca of the Roman Empire.  The NT was also translated into Syriac-Aramaic (the Peshitta) shortly thereafter.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  14

19 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Since OO explained that he does not speak publicly, there is no need to bring up the issue of interpretation. He already explained what his gift does and how it works, so once again there is no need to hammer on this as you are doing.

There are many genuine Christians who believe that they have a prayer language for their personal use. Disputing personal experience leads nowhere. 

On the other hand, what we see in Acts chapter 2 is a supernatural manifestation of the power of the Holy Spirit.  And that should be the basis of understanding the gift of tongues (which should really have been called the gift of languages, since the Greek word dialektos -- dialect -- is used in Acts 2:8).  

The Bible does say "whether there be tongues, they shall cease" (1 Cor 13:8), and I believe that when the apostolic age came to an end, supernatural linguistic ability came to an end. The New Testament was completed in Greek by 90 AD, and Greek was the lingua franca of the Roman Empire.  The NT was also translated into Syriac-Aramaic (the Peshitta) shortly thereafter.

so you are saying it is not in effect any more ?, and I should not ask , what it is like ?

really , I think you have contracdicted your self all in one chapter, you just confused me,

so Ezra do you believe that tongues is used today , and it edifys the church ? and in what way , and why do some, have it personally to them selves, and others don't, I do not see how this is to be realistic, and a reasonable answer, it is not correct ? the church or members have it or they don't,  I would like to know if this is in effect true today , and if so , how does it work, and helps people and church?

I see you want to follow and go against what I am saying , and I don't know what your agenda is ?

could you explain how you believe to be right all the time,? and I am wrong just for asking questions,? that are valid and full of substance ? you are trying to push your own views,  and its about what the bible is saying ,?

peace

8 hours ago, SINNERSAVED said:

why do some, have it personally to them selves, and others don't, I do not see how this is to be realistic, and a reasonable answer, it is not correct ?

As I explained above if some claim to be able to speak a prayer language privately, neither you nor I should argue with them, or tell them it is not right. That is totally realistic and reasonable, since it is basically their personal business.

As to the gift of tongues to be exercised within the local church, I already pointed out that Scripture says that tongues would cease, and cease they did. Modern tongues are not the same as Bible tongues.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  14

11 minutes ago, Ezra said:

As I explained above if some claim to be able to speak a prayer language privately, neither you nor I should argue with them, or tell them it is not right. That is totally realistic and reasonable, since it is basically their personal business.

As to the gift of tongues to be exercised within the local church, I already pointed out that Scripture says that tongues would cease, and cease they did. Modern tongues are not the same as Bible tongues.

show your proof to this account, it does not say that in the bible ?

2 hours ago, SINNERSAVED said:

show your proof to this account, it does not say that in the bible ?

Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. (1 Cor 13:8).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 5/15/2016 at 9:54 PM, SINNERSAVED said:

I believe that to speak in tongues is a deception, and a trick of the old devil himself,

and for the people that say they do , what would be the purpose, and how does it do anything to what we believe ?

it is not what people think it is today , it was used in the day of the babel, and when those spoke, in their own tongues, and to communicate, not to babel and be  like taken over by a demon, this is another, deception, but I know I will hear that I am crazy again ?

I would be very careful of what you say is of the enemy.  Praying in tongues in your private prayer life is what a lot of believers do.  To say it's of the enemy come very close to blasphemy.  And I have to ask who gave you permission to to say who and who does not pray in tongues. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 5/17/2016 at 1:16 AM, RustyAngeL said:

I would be very careful of what you say is of the enemy.  Praying in tongues in your private prayer life is what a lot of believers do.  To say it's of the enemy come very close to blasphemy.  And I have to ask who gave you permission to to say who and who does not pray in tongues. 

Your saying that to speak in tongues is a deception and a trick of the "The old devil himself"  You don't believe this is of the Holy Spirit?  Or am I reading this wrong?  To call something that comes from the Holy Spirit from the enemy is very close to blasphemy wouldn't you say?  And what are the people who use this gift in your opinion.  I would just like to know?  Our salvation is totally on the finished work of the Cross.  What we do has nothing to do with our being saved.  Salvation is a gift not of works.