IGNORED

How do you make reading the Bible more enjoyable?

Struggling

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Often times, I find the Bible hard to read and understand and I know that many New Christians have the same problem. So to all those experienced bible readers, pastors, evangelists, ministers, disciples and generally those who served our Lord Jesus Christ for a long time, how do you read the bible?

I'm brand new to the faith so bare with me. I'm still a "babe in Christ" if you understand.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,065
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

33 minutes ago, Struggling said:

Often times, I find the Bible hard to read and understand and I know that many New Christians have the same problem. So to all those experienced bible readers, pastors, evangelists, ministers, disciples and generally those who served our Lord Jesus Christ for a long time, how do you read the bible?

I'm brand new to the faith so bare with me. I'm still a "babe in Christ" if you understand.

because of the learning curve factor many turn from learning God's Word because of 'everything being new and undefined in their minds'... a
no cost starter would be
http://www.e-sword.net/
We are in the last days and God has made it so wonderful for us in electronic study... Love, Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Hi, Struggling....

What you are experiencing is very common.  First of all, it's imperative to find a version that is the easiest for you to read.  Go to your local bookstore and read through some of them.  I recommend for people the following:  English Standard Version, Holman, NIV, or New King James.  These are more of a word-for-word translation.  There is nothing wrong with a phrase-for-phrase translation such as the Living Bible.  My preference is the word-for-word.  I do read the Living Bible from time to time.

Secondly, I find for myself after reading the Bible as a Christian for over 45 years that I STILL have occasional times where I need help in understanding.  I write as I read the Bible and I "take notes" so to speak.  I write down what moves me, questions I have, and anything I want to use in teaching my Sunday School class and community Bible study.

Lastly, when I do have questions I seek out HELP!!  If you have questions, come here and ask.  David Guzik is a brilliant online Bible teacher who explains things.  Just Google what you are reading like this:  Matthew 5 David Guzik  It will link you to his commentaries.  Also, there is gotquestions.org.  It's a highly reliable site with almost a half million questions/answers.

Always remember to pray before you read that God will help you understand and give you a burning for his word. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

2 hours ago, Struggling said:

Welcome to Worthy, Struggling.  Let me assure you that most of us who have been Christians all our lives, or at least for a lot of years, still have that same problem.  My advice is to read a chapter or so a day and go on the internet to find a good study on what you have read.  After a few months, you will be amazed at what you know. There are even sites where you can sign up to have a verse a day delivered by email and it's free. Praise God that He has brought you into the fold.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

1 I start in the New Testament, and I pray and ask God to speak to me through His Word and help me to understand it. (The Holy Spirit was sent to help us to understand, so ask for His help.   John 16:31 says when the Spirit of truth has come He will guide you into all truth..)  

2. I read through a book first to get the context.  I highlight or underline verses that get my attention and are meaningful to me.

3. I go back to the first chapter and note the who what where why and when and hows.  

Who are they writing about,

who is writing,  

who are they writing to

What does it reveal to me about God--His character (love, righteousness, holiness, patience, mercy, etc)

Where did it take place.;  

where else is this talked about in the Bible (found in references in margins or after verse in fine print)

Why did it happen--is a purpose stated

When did it happen

How does it apply to me personally

Are there any promises to believers in this passage?  I underline these promises as well

Not all questions are answered in every passage.  Many people journal as they read, recording important things they have learned or questions they have.  But it is important to put into practice the things that you do understand.  Then He will help you understand more.  No one can live the Christian life without the help of the Holy Spirit of Jesus Who lives in you.  We are saved by faith and we live the life by trusting in God's Word.

The Bible often deals more about our attitudes than our actions, because the attitude is what produces the action.

Remember that the Gospels were written to people who lived under the old testament law so it was all about keeping the commandments.  In the book of Acts the Holy Spirit was poured out on all believers and the church was born.  The Holy Spirit writes the Law on our hearts:  to receive Jesus into our lives as God in human flesh, to Love God and the Christ whom He sent to us, and to love our neighbor as ourselves.  No one but Jesus can ever be good enough to go to heaven, which is why He took our sin from us and died for us on the cross; and He gave us His righteousness through our faith in His resurrection.

Some people outline the book--that is how my pastor studies.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I second E-sword--I use it a lot.  

BibleStudyTools.com also has parallel Bibles of different translations so that you can compare how they are said.  Sometimes one makes more sense to you than another.  There are several other great online sites.  BlueLetterBible.com  has a good search engine for finding passages.  BibleGateway.com is another favored by many.  

The better more literal translations are : King James Version, Young's Literal Translation, New King James Version, English Standard Version,  American Standard Version, Amplified Bible;  It is wise to compare other versions with one of these.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I have a couple of different tools of which I study God's word. I also pray before I read God's word and ask for understanding and comprehension.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Struggling,,,,,,

I agree with Willa personally,for all 'babes" I do suggest they begin with ,not just the New Testament but in the Book of John,,,,,,,,The Book of John is a personal Love Letter addressed to YOU from God,,,,,,first see how much you are Loved & this is how we get to KNOW our Lord not just know ABOUT Him,,,,,,,,,the Bible is the LIVING WORD of God,,,,,,it is not simply a Book ,,,,so don't think of it that way.....

You are getting to know me by reading the words I say,,,you are asking,I am answering,right? Same with the Bible,imagine the Bible as your internet connection to God,your direct phone line to Jesus,,,,,,,,,focus on Him ,talk to Him with an earnest heart and ask Him to Reveal Himself to you,,,,,,,,,,,,

King James Bible
But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
                                                                                                                                         1 Cor 2:10

Make it a routine each day (certain time) to read a few passages in the New Testament  ,,,,,there are study tools online as others suggested,but if you are diligent in seeking Him & discipline yourself even by "going through the motions" you will have succeeded in forming good habits that will become very natural     I'm not going to say it s not difficult in the beginning ,,,,but it gets easier & easier & more & more exciting as the holy Spirit Reveals Gods Timeless Truths to you

King James Bible
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
                                                                                                                                      Proverbs 3:5

When I "don't feel like" reading the Bible it is a strong indication that it is when I need to the most,,,,,,,so I read the Psalms of David & just Praise the Lord,,,,,,,,

King James Bible
But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
                                                                                                                 Psalm 22:3

What better way to start each day ,,,,,with God!!!!             To God be the Glory!                  With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

3 hours ago, Willa said:

I second E-sword--I use it a lot.  

BibleStudyTools.com also has parallel Bibles of different translations so that you can compare how they are said.  Sometimes one makes more sense to you than another.  There are several other great online sites.  BlueLetterBible.com  has a good search engine for finding passages.  BibleGateway.com is another favored by many.  

The better more literal translations are : King James Version, Young's Literal Translation, New King James Version, English Standard Version,  American Standard Version, Amplified Bible;  It is wise to compare other versions with one of these.

Yes, I love the sites where you can pick your version and jump over to study a passage in context.  It makes everything so much easier.  I use BibleGateway a lot and I get their Verse of the Day in my inbox every morning.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  603
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

The first time reading through the Bible can be daunting.  There just seems to be pressure to do it a certain way coming from no one in particular, but it still seems to be there.  But, in the long run, it will be the best thing you ever do for your life.  Better than any degree one could get, better than any vacation you could take.  There is nothing that will give you more rewards in your life than completing the Bible from start to finish.  

When I first started reading the Bible I was 18 years old.  It was the year 2000.  I had kind of been a rebellious teenager because I grew up in a abusive household.  I wore jeans and t-shirts to a church with a membership count of like 8, and they were all in their 80's.   They had learned to sing in glee clubs.  They wore clothes from years ago that still looked like they were brand new.  I think one of the ladies had a great granddaughter older than me.  There were not a lot of people in my generation attending church at the time and there still aren't.  Even fewer maybe who have read the Bible.  But, they were the most loving bunch of ladies that you would ever meet in your life.  

And, so they were my motivation to do something no matter how out of place I felt and even when I knew I was the only one who would try doing this, their love.  

I tried reading through the old testament first like three times and would just end up getting very bored and wondering how this anything to do with me.  Then, because I wanted to be friends with this group of older ladies (they were awesome!) I decided I couldn't give up and maybe it would be okay to start in the New Testament instead of the old.  I just took the risk, you know.  

I started in Matthew, read all the way through Revelation.  Then, somehow, the Old Testament wasn't so bad after that.  I read through the Old Testament till I got to the book of Ecclesiastes and then, the light bulb went off.  I just couldn't believe that someone in the Bible actually understood the way I felt.  I worked night shifts in an Alzheimer's care home at the time, and I was floating on air all night.  It may sound very ridiculous if I were to say I will remember that day for the rest of my life.  

So, my advice is the first time you read through the Bible, try not to give yourself too many rules or expectations.  Just set some goals for yourself, like for example, "I will finish reading the Bible even if I skip over the genealogies because they put me to sleep." 

I have read through the Bible many times.  There isn't a whole lot to glean from them other then when Enoch is taken up (Genesis 5:24).  So, don't feel bad if you just want to scan those real quick the first time.  

In conclusion, reading the Bible is like climbing up to the top of roller coaster.  You might be sitting there wondering when this will be fun from time to time.  But, once you get to the top and are on your way down, it doesn't stop being awesome!  

Good luck.