• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  2

1 Samuel 28

so in Sam 28:11 Saul said "Bring up the ghost of Samuel".

then Samuel appeared and prophecied:

16 Samuel said:

If the Lord has turned away from you and is now your enemy, don’t ask me what to do. 17 I’ve already told you: The Lord has sworn to take the kingdom from you and give it to David. And that’s just what he’s doing! 18 When the Lord was angry with the Amalekites, he told you to destroy them, but you didn’t do it. That’s why the Lord is doing this to you. 19 Tomorrow the Lord will let the Philistines defeat Israel’s army, then you and your sons will join me down here in the world of the dead.

What do you think he means by "world of the dead?"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Is this what you are asking?

Question: "Did the witch of Endor really summon Samuel from the dead (1 Samuel 28:7-20)?"

Answer:
The story of the witch of Endor summoning Samuel is recorded in 1 Samuel 28:7-20, the only biblical account of someone being visited by someone who was deceased. Saul, having deprived himself of every legitimate means of spiritual input as a result of his own disobedience and rebellion, walked in foolishness again by seeking out the very resource (a medium) he had previously removed from the land. By divine law, mediums and spiritists were banned from Israel (Deuteronomy 18:11), and Israel was not to be defiled by them (Leviticus 19:31). That the king would stoop to this indicates how far he had fallen from God’s grace.

The passage does not give us any reason to believe it was anyone other than Samuel, who is described by the medium as “an old man wearing a robe” (v. 14). Obviously, age and clothing do not exist in the realm of the spirits of those who have died, but God miraculously gave Samuel such appearances as would enable Saul perceive who the spirit was. The message Samuel gave Saul was completely accurate. God allowed the witch of Endor to summon the prophet Samuel in order to give King Saul the news of his coming defeat and death.

This does not mean that it is genuinely possible for witches or mediums to speak with the dead, only that God allowed it in this one exception. When a person dies, his soul is taken to heaven or hell, depending on whether he has placed his faith in Christ (Matthew 25:46). There is no reason to believe that a deceased person has any ability to leave heaven or hell in order to visit his living family members. Any such claim is a demonic deception (2 Corinthians 11:14-15). God declared such practices to be abhorrent to Him, and those who did practice such things in Israel were to be put to death (Leviticus 20:27; Deuteronomy 18:10-12). Satan would like nothing more than for people to dabble in the occult world of spiritism and necromancy. God’s commandments regarding these things are designed to protect us from the schemes of our enemy, the devil, who “prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour” (1 Peter 5:8).

http://www.gotquestions.org/witch-of-endor.html

I'm asking about them being alive in Heaven or in another temporary place...it makes me happy to think someone whose child was stolen from them is now reunited because Sam said "join us in the world of the dead."

There is a mother in particular  filled with grief and whose life stopped and never recovered that a sick man took her daughters life in an unthinkable way, ( he was pretending to be injured and she was a kind soul always willing to help someone handicapped.  

I feel her pain and have been very concerned, because the mother had much hate.  We must forgive to be forgiven says God, so I was worried.)

But that passage about joining the world of the dead. even before the redemption of Christ , gives me hope the two of them are reunited.

Also, Scripture speaks of a place where there is suffering That isn't permanent:

Rev 20

Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened.Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done.14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.

Also, in the story of Lazarus, when He was taken to Abraham's bosom, the rich man suffered in hades, but could still talk to Abraham.

Hades is a place of torment but not permanent.  Could a soul learn the Gospel and repent in Hades?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, spiderman1917 said:

What do you think he means by "world of the dead?"

This is a reference to Sheol/Hades, where the souls and spirits of both the righteous and unrighteous dead went before the resurrection of Christ.  Now only the unsaved go to Hades. Sheol was in "the lower parts of the earth".

5 minutes ago, spiderman1917 said:

Hades is a place of torment but not permanent.  Could a soul learn the Gospel and repent in Hades?

No.

27 minutes ago, Ezra said:

This is a reference to Sheol/Hades, where the souls and spirits of both the righteous and unrighteous dead went before the resurrection of Christ.  Now only the unsaved go to Hades. Sheol was in "the lower parts of the earth".

No.

Since we know God is more merciful than us ,why give up hope that not all of the souls in Hades are eternaly separated from God?

Why would they come out of Hades to be judged if there was no hope of salvation for them?

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

20 minutes ago, spiderman1917 said:

Why would they come out of Hades to be judged if there was no hope of salvation for them?

The Bible gives us the reason (Rev 20:11-15).  After death, there is only judgement, as stated in Scripture (Heb 9:27)/

11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

All children's souls up to a particular age which is the age of accountability will go to heaven. The Bible is silent on what age that is. I could only speculate around 13. It is old enough to know Jesus Christ and ask Christ into their lives. All born again believers will go to heaven. All those who are not believers will go to hell at the end of the 1000 year millennium when hell is opened for all unbelievers,Satan and his demons. All those who are unbelievers souls now are in Hades awaiting their final judgment in the Great White Throne judgment. God did not send them to hell they sent themselves to hell. They had a choice to believe in Jesus Christ. All those born again souls are now in heaven awaiting their resurrected bodies.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

Spiderman, what Bible version are you reading from because I have looked online in about twenty-two different Bible versions and I can't find where 1 Kings 28:19 says "world of the dead".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bopeep

The Bible is silent on the "age of accountability" because there is no such magic number.

I believe, based on King David's assertion that he would one day "go" to where his dead child was, but that his dead child would not "come back" to him, that babies who die go to heaven.

I also believe that the very young children who cannot understand the concept of personal sin and personal wrong-doing will go to heaven when they die.  But the average 13-year-old?  They know what is right and wrong.  There is no "age" because understanding in each small child is different based on what they can understand.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

1 hour ago, spiderman1917 said:

Since we know God is more merciful than us ,why give up hope that not all of the souls in Hades are eternaly separated from God?

There is no repentance once we die, Spiderman.  I know it's what we would like to believe but God has His own plan.

Hebrews 9:27King James Version (KJV)

27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.

1 hour ago, Jayne said:

Spiderman, what Bible version are you reading from because I have looked online in about twenty-two different Bible versions and I can't find where 1 Kings 28:19 says "world of the dead".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bopeep

The Bible is silent on the "age of accountability" because there is no such magic number.

I believe, based on King David's assertion that he would one day "go" to where his dead child was, but that his dead child would not "come back" to him, that babies who die go to heaven.

I also believe that the very young children who cannot understand the concept of personal sin and personal wrong-doing will go to heaven when they die.  But the average 13-year-old?  They know what is right and wrong.  There is no "age" because understanding in each small child is different based on what they can understand.

Contemporary English version:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Samuel+28&version=CEV