• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

THE LURE OF MEANINGLESS DISTRACTIONS

You make it your goal to walk in the Spirit, and you are sincerely focused on attaining a more Christlike life. You are gaining traction. But the devil doesn't care what he uses to derail you. More often, it may be something that, in itself, isn't evil; its just a distraction. If we unmask this distraction, however, we see its true nature: distraction is a
dis-traction. It robs us of the traction we need to reach our God-appointed destiny. I’m not saying we shouldn't enjoy life, I'm saying this: God has given us a limited number of days. Don't waste them pursuing meaningless distractions. --In Christ's Image Training

Ef. 4:726

BE ANGRY, AND yet DO NOT SIN; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27and do not give the devil an opportunity. 28He who steals must steal no longer; but rather he must labor, performing with his own hands what is good, so that he will have something to share with one who has need.…

Distractions:

Bible verses about distractions

Distraction from God is extremely dangerous. As believers we believe that God is the captain of our ship. When you start losing sight of your captain, you start trying to steer your own ship. Not only does this lead to going the wrong way, but it can lead you in the direction of trials, sin, missed opportunities  and missed blessings.

25 Important Bible Verses About Distractions

When you lose sight of your captain you start to fear and worry. You start to think I’m in this by myself.

Your captain promised to guide you and help you, but instead of focusing on Him, you started focusing on the huge waves and the other sailors around you.

As technology advances being distracted from God is becoming easier and easier. Distraction from God could be because of sin, but that’s not always the reason.

The main reason is life and getting caught up in the world. Reasons for distractions include ourselves, money, hobbies, relationships, cell phones, TV, and more.

Sometimes we’re consumed with our technology all day and we only acknowledge God right before we go to sleepwith a quick 20 second prayer and this should not be.

The quick prayer we did was a selfish one at that and we didn’t even take the time to say thanks and give Him praise. In life we’re supposed to do God’s will not our will.

When we allow other things to consume our lives we drift away from God. Fix your eyes back on the captain. You know where to find Him. Satan always tries his best to distract us and when we get serious about having fellowship with the Lord he will try to distract you even more.

Don’t be afraid. God says draw near to me and I will draw near to you. Keep praying. Many times people pray, but then get distracted and think it’s not going to work. Stay focused on the captain.

Spend time with your Lord like you would with your child or parent. Know that He is with you on the journey. He’s guiding you to the right place. If you persevere in prayer, at the right time He will answer. Have faith!

Quotes

• “The more you focus on yourself, the more distracted you will be from the proper path. The more you know Him and commune with Him, the more the Spirit will make you like Him. The more you are like Him, the better you will understand His utter sufficiency for all of life’s difficulties. And that is the only way to know real satisfaction.”  John MacArthur
  • God did not create you to live a distracted life. God created you to live a Jesus-infused life.
  • Don’t let the noise of the world keep you from hearing the voice of the Lord.
  • What does the Bible say?

1. 1 Corinthians 7:35 I am saying this for your benefit, not to place restrictions on you. I want you to do whatever will help you serve the Lord best, with as few distractions as possible.

2. Mark 4:19 but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things, so no fruit is produced.

3. Luke 8:7 Other seed fell among thorns that grew up with it and choked out the tender plants.

tead, along with the 4. 1 Corinthians 10:13  No temptation has overtaken you that is unusual for human beings. But God is faithful, and he will not allow you to be tempted beyond your strength. Instemptation he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to endure it.

Being distracted from God by the world.

5. Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

6. 1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

We must stay focused on Christ.

fixing our attention on Jesus, the 7. Hebrews 12:2  pioneer and perfecter of the faith, who, in view of the joy set before him, endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

8. Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

9. Proverbs 4:25 Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you.

10. Isaiah 45:22 Let all the world look to me for salvation! For I am God; there is no other.

The dangers of taking your eyes off of Christ. Peter got distracted by everything around him.

11. Matthew 14:28-31 Peter answered him, “Lord, if it’s you, order me to come to you on the water.” Jesus said, “Come on!” So Peter got down out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came to Jesus. But when he noticed the strong wind, he was frightened. As he began to sink, he shouted, “Lord, save me!” At once Jesus reached out his hand, caught him, and asked him, “You who have so little faith, why did you doubt?”

We should follow the example of Mary, instead of Martha

12. Luke 10:38-42 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.” But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Satan seeks to distract us in any way possible.

13. 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary

the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

14. James 4:7 So submit to God. But resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Sometimes we must stop everything and go to a quiet place to hear God. 

15. Mark 6:31 Then Jesus said, “Let’s go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile.” He said this because there were so many people coming and going that Jesus and his apostles didn’t even have time to eat.

We must prioritize our time. There must be a time for prayer daily.

16. Ephesians 5:15-16 So, then, be careful how you live. Do not be unwise but wise, making the best use of your time because the times are evil.

17. Mark 1:35 And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.

Being distracted by the worries of life.

18. Matthew 6:19-21 “Stop storing up treasures for yourselves on earth, where moths and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But keep on storing up treasures for yourselves in heaven, where moths and rust do not destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal, because where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

19. Matthew 6:31-33 “So don’t ever worry by saying, ‘What are we going to eat?’ or ‘What are we going to drink?’ or ‘What are we going to wear?’ because it is the unbelievers who are eager for all those things. Surely your heavenly Father knows that you need all of them! But first be concerned about God’s kingdom and his righteousness, and all of these things will be provided for you as well.

We can even get distracted by doing things for God that we lose our zeal for the Lord. Doing things for Him and getting distracted by Christian projects can cause us to stop spending time with God in prayer

20. Revelation 2:3-4 You also possess endurance and have tolerated many things because of My name and have not grown weary.  But I have this against you: You have abandoned the love you had at first.

Focus on the Lord by meditating on Scripture.

“This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and 21. Joshua 1:8 night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.

We must never let others distract us from the Lord.

22. Galatians 1:10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Reminders

23. Ephesians 6:11 Clothe yourselves with the full armor of God so that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.

24. Proverbs 3:6 think about Him in all your ways, and He will guide you on the right paths.25. 1 John 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols.

http://biblereasons.com/distractions/

While reading this , I thought we could make this into a helpful little study and share with each other where we should be so careful as not to give an open door  to the enemy, he distract us from God with bad events happening in our life but also with good events ,can you recognize those times?

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Yes, I can easily get distracted by computer problems.  During the last few days I was tense and upset trying to download a free Windows 10.  It had to update mine first, and it refused to quit searching for updates for 24 hours.  So I finally was able to download windows 10, but now I keep running into old programs that also need to be configured, and one that isn't working.  My frustration with it all has been overflowing to my attitude in general.  When I finally got my attention back on the beauty of the the Lord, such a peace came over me.  Thank You Jesus for pulling me back to keeping my focus on You.  It is so easy to get distracted by the cares of this world.  Please forgive me.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, Willa said:

During the last few days I was tense and upset trying to download a free Windows 10.

There were many warnings out regarding Windows 10, and perhaps you missed them.  And yes, excessive preoccupation with computers, television programs, movies, entertainment, etc are all distractions meant to cause Christians to waste their time and energy in things which have no eternal value. 

But none of us is helpless. Every action and every thought is a choice, and there are always choices. Choose you this day whom ye will serve.

4 hours ago, Willa said:

Yes, I can easily get distracted by computer problems.  During the last few days I was tense and upset trying to download a free Windows 10.  It had to update mine first, and it refused to quit searching for updates for 24 hours.  So I finally was able to download windows 10, but now I keep running into old programs that also need to be configured, and one that isn't working.  My frustration with it all has been overflowing to my attitude in general.  When I finally got my attention back on the beauty of the the Lord, such a peace came over me.  Thank You Jesus for pulling me back to keeping my focus on You.  It is so easy to get distracted by the cares of this world.  Please forgive me.

Willa,we all are human and this kind of situations will happen to all of us and our first reaction is to fix things ourself and not even to think of  asking  God for wisdom, only when we come to the realization that we don't know everything, we ask God what shall I do,we should ask Him right away. 

I believe we can get too overwhelmed by things which are not even worth it. :(

God is always there to help us and give us wisdom about everything if we ask :) 

I know all about computer problem :) and windows 10 , if you have any questions , Pat is good for advice, he helped me lots of times :)

3 hours ago, Ezra said:

There were many warnings out regarding Windows 10, and perhaps you missed them.  And yes, excessive preoccupation with computers, television programs, movies, entertainment, etc are all distractions meant to cause Christians to waste their time and energy in things which have no eternal value. 

But none of us is helpless. Every action and every thought is a choice, and there are always choices. Choose you this day whom ye will serve.

Amen!

2 Corinthians 10:5King James Version (KJV)

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

6 hours ago, Ezra said:

No Ezra, I didn't see or hear of any warnings.  Both Cohan and 2 of my good friends said that they had it for some time and liked it much better than 8.  Since this puter is a good one I decided to upgrade.  Once I had downloaded updates there wasn't much problem.  But I am still updating other programs.  It took 28 hours to get all the updates because it kept running that again.  I had to go to the next page to actually download 10.  Thanks.  If you have any advice I would welcome it.

3 hours ago, angels4u said:

Willa,we all are human and this kind of situations will happen to all of us and our first reaction is to fix things ourself and not even to think of  asking  God for wisdom, only when we come to the realization that we don't know everything, we ask God what shall I do,we should ask Him right away. 

I believe we can get too overwhelmed by things which are not even worth it. :(

God is always there to help us and give us wisdom about everything if we ask :) 

I know all about computer problem :) and windows 10 , if you have any questions , Pat is good for advice, he helped me lots of times :)

Yes, we are all human, but the flesh still has to die.  I did ask God for help and called my friends in Seattle.  They were both mainframe programmers and are pretty good with Windows as well.  They were very patient about walking me through some things.  I have asked Pat for help before and followed his advice, so I consider him a good source.  Thanks.  I didn't think about him this time.  I am still syncing old programs that I transferred over so he may get asked yet.  Got my printer drivers updated today and got it working.  What a process!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

15 minutes ago, Willa said:

No Ezra, I didn't see or hear of any warnings. 

That's a shame. Had you Googled "Warnings about Windows 10" you would have discovered several, such as the one below (which is from Australia but has some good advice).

http://www.news.com.au/technology/seven-warnings-to-read-before-you-upgrade-to-microsofts-windows-10-operating-system/news-story/1dd126c170e7d0ad332882051ece7759

11 minutes ago, Ezra said:

That's a shame. Had you Googled "Warnings about Windows 10" you would have discovered several, such as the one below (which is from Australia but has some good advice).

http://www.news.com.au/technology/seven-warnings-to-read-before-you-upgrade-to-microsofts-windows-10-operating-system/news-story/1dd126c170e7d0ad332882051ece7759

Thanks.  I figured that by this time they should have a lot of the bugs out of it, since Cohan said he had been using it for a year, and our friend had it that long as well.  I put off getting a MAC update for that reason as well.  I am not very computer savvy but I have learned that much.  One thing that lowered my B/P was getting a new mouse for the Dell.  The old one skipped all over the place and was very hard to use.  I am almost warming up to it but for the fact that it kills my back to sit at a desk.

12 hours ago, Willa said:

Thanks.  I figured that by this time they should have a lot of the bugs out of it, since Cohan said he had been using it for a year, and our friend had it that long as well.  I put off getting a MAC update for that reason as well.  I am not very computer savvy but I have learned that much.  One thing that lowered my B/P was getting a new mouse for the Dell.  The old one skipped all over the place and was very hard to use.  I am almost warming up to it but for the fact that it kills my back to sit at a desk.

Hi Willa, I use windows 10 but not their browser ,I downloaded google and so far it works fine!

There was 1 time I had to go back to the fresh install when I couldn't access the Internet , I couldn't figure out what was wrong :) Windows 10 is very easy to reset to a fresh install.