IGNORED

How do biblical texts apply to modern society?

gavenv

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

The cultural traditions of the Bible are radically different than today’s social norms, so how do you use scripture to address current issues such as gender roles, gay marriage, abortion, immigration reform, and gun control?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Of course cultural traditions change.  People change.  Humanity is fickle and thank God that truth doesn't stand on what humans believe.

God's Word is the standard.  It never changes.  A particular culture may embrace homosexuality as a wonderful thing and another may not.  One culture might view multiple partners as acceptable and another might oppose that.

The answer to every issue is what does God say about this?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

6 hours ago, gavenv said:

The cultural traditions of the Bible are radically different than today’s social norms, so how do you use scripture to address current issues such as gender roles, gay marriage, abortion, immigration reform, and gun control?

Scripture is timeless. There are only two genders in the Bible, and their roles are clearly defined. Abortion is murder, homosexuality is abomination (sexual perversion), immigration reform is covered by the right of every nation to govern itself and maintain its boundaries, gun control is trying to deal with the symptoms (homicides) rather than the disease (sin).  We could go into Scriptures at great length, but I trust you get the picture. As Ecclesiastes tells us "there is nothing new under the sun".

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

7 hours ago, gavenv said:

The Holy Bible touches on all our issues today.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

3 hours ago, Ezra said:

Scripture is timeless. There are only two genders in the Bible, and their roles are clearly defined. Abortion is murder, homosexuality is abomination (sexual perversion), immigration reform is covered by the right of every nation to govern itself and maintain its boundaries, gun control is trying to deal with the symptoms (homicides) rather than the disease (sin).  We could go into Scriptures at great length, but I trust you get the picture. As Ecclesiastes tells us "there is nothing new under the sun".

Amen Ezra just what I was going to say.  The Bible is timeless.  You beat me to the punch.!!!

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

10 hours ago, gavenv said:

Very good questions.  The bible is but a book.  Though it be inspired of God, it is useless without being interpreted through the Holy Spirit.  

Understand the power of the Spirit:

God said and it was.

Whenever God speaks by his Spirit things happen.  The bible helps us to understand the God who authored it so that we know how to act in any instance or occasion.

I meditate on the scriptures in the Spirit so that I might better understand the person of God.  By doing so, I more accurately represent his position in current matters and am able to act and advise accordingly. 

Thank you for the topic.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings gaven......

Welcome to Worthy

You are posting in the Seeker Lounge, I assume you are not a Christian,,,,,,,may I ask if you have read the Bible?The Word of God does not change as mentioned by the others,,,,,,&  neither does anything else

King James Bible
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
                                                                                                                                                   Ecc 1:9

Immediately I thought exactly what Brother Ezra said,,,,Amen & Amen!!!!! The Bible is Gods TIMELESS Truth        With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

The first 3 you mentioned were also prominent in the Greco-Roman world of the first century.  Abortion and killing babies was practiced wherever there were temple prostitutes and was considered one of the abominations for which the Hebrews were to slaughter the first inhabitants of the Promised Land.  

It was not a problem among the Jews because gender roles were clearly defined, gays were executed, and abortion was considered to be murder.   They made no effort to confiscate their weapons.  They just addressed murder and homicide, theft and adultery, and severely.  Most cities were walled.  They were like gated communities.  

We do need to enforce our existing immigration laws.  It is difficult when not even our president respects our laws or our constitution which he swore to uphold.   He should be setting a good example. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/2/2016 at 3:08 PM, algots said:

Scripture doesn't deal with culture. It deals with the human nature. Culture is just the back drop.

Over thousands of years, mankind hasn't changed one bit. We're still the selfish, greedy, prideful animated dirt clods who think we're the center of the universe. Even some professing Christians are more expecting of God to follow them over them following God.

Sure, we've made our sin easier and more accommodating, but we're the same depraved creatures we were when mankind fell. No, for the most part, we don't fornicate behind a bush in the wilderness, we just rent a hotel room after we buy a bottle from the corner liquor store. The sin is the same, only the scenery is different.

This about sums this topic up. Sin hasn't changed one bit, we've simply made sin more attractive and even reasoned that some sin is acceptable.

OP ask yourself, what really has changed? Politicians still lie, the rich only care for the rich, the poor still struggle, there are still homeless people that receive no aid and people are still butchering and murdering one another over possessions, revenge, power and land. If we examine history and its wars we see most were power-struggles over politics, thrones or land. What has changed with our wars? Nothing.

So for this reason, the scriptures are still relevant as we are still a selfish and greedy people in need of good guidance. The Good Samaritan Parable for example applies just as much today as it did then with xenophobia and racism going stronger than ever. Then of course, we have all the scripture verses about leaving sin behind and loving your neighbor. These are timeless.

Immigration reforms have little to do with scripture though. Although from a scripture standpoint, we are called to be wise with our decision making. As much as it would be good for everyone to be able to freely travel everywhere and settle, we have to address the reality behind this worldview, the reality being economical and financial impacts it has on the country and people living there. This of course is a subject for politicians to debate, not a theologian like me. Render unto Caesar, Caesar's things and all that right? I've seen too many Christians make a point for support of relaxed immigration or non-relaxed using scripture when they should really be debating it as a political subject and how it effects their country and current situation. Others use emotional arguments when they need to be thinking of the logical repercussions.

As Ezra said though, "immigration reform is covered by the right of every nation to govern itself and maintain its boundaries." I believe the support for country governance and boundaries can be found in The Bible with God establishing Israel as its own country for the Jewish people rather than inviting the whole world into it. There are however many instances in The Bible of immigration from the Exodus to verses about treating immigrants kindly (Leviticus 19:33-34). So really this is the same issue we're faced with today so nothing has changed and you can argue for and against immigration from verses The Bible but really it is a political matter and Jesus told us to separate the things relating to God away from things relating to politics.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

I think that this topic is good and interesting to read, however there is a problem.

The purpose of the Seeker's Forum is strictly for the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  The goal here is that guests can come to Worthy, read the forums, and ask questions about the Lord. That does not seem to be taking place here.

gavenv, the origianl poster, has not yet posted enough times to post in all the forum areas, when he has, I will move this thread to another area of the Forums. If that has not happened by 5/11, I may move it anyway, so that others can continue in it, if they desire.

gavenv, if you read this, you need to make a couple of ore posts before you have access to other areas aside from this and the welcom area. I suggest going to the welcome area, where it is easy to introduce yourself, and them reply to those who welcome you, with a simple "Thank you". That is a fast an easy way to boost your post count, it will happen in a very short time, perhaps less than an hour.