spiderman1917

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Amen Ezra,,,,,,but still we must live with our HOPE in Christ just AS IF it can change ,,,,,,,people's hearts can change from a hardened heart to one that will return to flesh & Receive Christ,Receive the Word of God & in turn Gods Grace is given ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yes,the prophecy has been given,it Will be done but we keep pressing forward,,,                          Glory to God in the Highest

I only added what I am saying because I can't tell you how many people (Christians)have said to me,,,,,"Then what is the sense of doing this & doing that if what is going to be shall be",,,,,,,,,,,,that is all,,,,,,,                                          With love-in Christ,Kwik

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

On 08/05/2016 at 11:27 PM, spiderman1917 said:

Because prophecies spoken by holy prophets sometimes never took place as a result of the prayers and repentance of the people involved .

Also,  in multiple places in Scripture ,  God's annointed Got him to do what he did not want to do, intend to  do,  or even change his mind. 

Prophecy is never altered because God never lies or breaks his promises. However the outcome of some prophecies are conditional. When God claims that a prophecy is conditional it is conditional, when he claims that it is non-conditional then it is non-conditional. The key word is 'if'.

Blessings Oak

Amen ,,,,,exactly,,,,,,,,,"IF" is key indeed....

King James Bible
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
                                                          2 Chron 7:14

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,576
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On May 8, 2016 at 3:15 PM, spiderman1917 said:

"... Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown." (Jonah 3:4)

The prophecy did not take place because the people amended their ways.

The prophet Isaiah came to him and advised Hezekia, “Set your house in order, for you shall die, and not live” (2 Kings 20:1).    He wept, repented, and pleaded to God.  God healed him and he lived another 15 years.

It is possible for a person to get God to change His mind:

Exodus 32:

7And the Lord said unto Moses, Go, get thee down; for thy people, which thou broughtest out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves:

..... I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people:

10Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.
11And Moses besought the Lord his God, and said, Lord, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand?footnote.png
12Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people.
13Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it for ever.

14And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

So, Moses acted like an attorney before the judge and presented multiple reasons why he should reconsider, be lenient, and simply change His mind.  And He did :)

Another interesting point is the wedding of Cana.  Jesus didn't want to work His first miracle there as He said his time had not come, neither was he concerned that people were running out of wine.  He reluctantly supplied more wine because His mother asked him to.  So, God seems to be encouraging us to try to get him, through prayer, to do what He doesn't intend to do or what He doesn't even want to do.

The Parable of the Persistent Widow

18 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’

4 “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’”

6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?"

The interesting thing is, the judge in the parable did not fear God or care about people.  He did so reluctantly because the woman was bothering him and he even began to feel threatened by her. 

What are your thoughts?

Shabbat shalom, spiderman1917.

God can do as He pleases; He is the LORD of all, after all. HE wrote His Word, and He can change it, if He chooses. He is not bound by His Words; He can alter them at will, but He usually does so by DELAYING His prophecies. Nineveh WAS destroyed ... eventually, just not THAT "40 days" because they repented as they were led in their hearts to do. Yonah (Jonah) didn't even tell them they COULD! They didn't even know this God "YHWH" that Yonah was declaring; they had their own pantheon of gods. However, they LISTENED to the prophecy and had a change of heart, and CITY-WIDE, from the king to the cattle, they fasted and repented in sackcloth and ashes and in humility. This pleased YHWH and He spared their city. (Jonah 3:1-10)

David sang,

Psalm 51:11-17
11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
KJV

You stated, "It is possible for a person to get God to change His mind." That is neither the right way of thinking nor is it true. The point of Yonah is to show that GOD does as He pleases, and we need to accept His decisions humbly. THEY DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT GOD'S DECISION WOULD BE! But, in humility and accepting God's Word to them, they bowed to His will and HOPED for His mercy:

Jonah 3:5-10
5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water:
8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.
9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?
10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.
KJV

We don't "GET" God to do anything! That's trying to CONTROL God! We ACCEPT God's decision against us because of our GUILT, and PLEAD for His mercy. IF He chooses to be merciful, that's HIS choice! If we don't learn that from the book of Yonah, then we've missed the point of the book!

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

My off the cuff answer, is that prophecy cannot be altered, that would make God a liar, and make Him untrustworthy. However, it is certainly true, that we can fail to understand prophecy, and when misunderstood, it could b seen as having been altered or failed.

Deut 18:22

"When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not respect him.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  266
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/10/1995

Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. - 1 Corinthians 13:8

Paul himself accepted that prophecies may pass away.

16 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

My off the cuff answer, is that prophecy cannot be altered, that would make God a liar, and make Him untrustworthy. However, it is certainly true, that we can fail to understand prophecy, and when misunderstood, it could b seen as having been altered or failed.

Deut 18:22

"When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not respect him.

I think you're failing to understand the OPs question. He's not talking about false prophecy, he's talking about prophecies of the Lord that have been changed.

My answer is that some prophecies fail to come to fruition because they were conditional. A conditional prophecy depends on what actions Man takes.

So when God declares "I will do X unless you turn from your ways and stop doing Y" the outcome of the prophecy depends on what we do. God has not lied - he has told us beforehand that what happens depends on the actions of Mankind or a particular man.

Unconditional prophecies however are not changed. God tells us that the Beast will come, that there will be a milliennal reign and that there will be a new heaven and Earth. All of these three things are set to happen regardless of anybody's actions.

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  608
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

Although I too can understand what you've proved with scripture.

My question is, should every advisement or warning inwhich God may relent be considered a Prophecy?

My answer is that some prophecies fail to come to fruition because they were conditional. A conditional prophecy depends on what actions Man takes.

So when God declares "I will do X unless you turn from your ways and stop doing Y" the outcome of the prophecy depends on what we do. God has not lied - he has told us beforehand that what happens depends on the actions of Mankind or a particular man.

Unconditional prophecies however are not changed. God tells us that the Beast will come, that there will be a milliennal reign and that there will be a new heaven and Earth. All of these three things are set to happen regardless of anybody's actions.                                                                           Oakwood

I agree .........

My question is, should every advisement or warning in which God may relent be considered a Prophecy?                                 RevelationWriter

My short answer would be "no"....As Oakwood has explained that a "conditional prophecy" without having the condition met may not come to be a prophecy fulfilled ,sort of a catch 22,isn't it? But still,I do not believe ALL warnings & advisements can be considered prophecies                                      With love-in Christ,Kwik

28 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

I agree .........

My short answer would be "no"....As Oakwood has explained that a "conditional prophecy" without having the condition met may not come to be a prophecy fulfilled ,sort of a catch 22,isn't it? But still,I do not believe ALL warnings & advisements can be considered prophecies                                      With love-in Christ,Kwik

To add to this, I will also say that God cannot alter his prophecies, not because he doesn't have the power to do so, but because he does not lie. He gives us a prophecy and follows it through because he keeps to his word and does not break his promises.

The things that God HASN'T told us are the things that he wishes to be flexible about. He hasn't told us the 'exact time or day' because he has the power to change the date if he wishes, as long as he stays within the parameters that he has already given us.