• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, RobertS said:

Keep in mind: what they are seeking is control.

RobertS,

You have summarized the way cults operate very nicely.  And we may not even know the names of some of these groups, which are basically predators.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  14

do you not say for example that we have Christian cults every where, ?

on television, in churches, and on the radio, saying they are spreading the word of Jesus and yet getting many to follow the wide and broad path that leads to destruction, , and the others that pick and choose as they wish words and scripture that is convient on what they will do and believe in the bible and not follow what they don't want in the bible, this would also be  a abomination to God , and even worst  in the sight of God ,for He hates those that know the word and yet, use it for gain, and for position of the self

I would say we need to look at a lot of Christian groups, and see the evil and the false teaching and cultic pagan rituals and compromise in them ., would that not be fair to say ? for satan has infiltrated every thing under the sun, and if it be possible to deceive even the elect, ?

shalom

1 hour ago, RobertS said:

If someone is running a cult, deliberately teaching falsehood under the guise of "Christianity" while trying to control others, that's not "characterization"; that is blatant heresy that we need to warn believers of!

Then call it what it is,,, Heresy, even a damnable heresy. You have already named it yourself didn't you? Blatant heresy. I do not see why this is becoming an issue. Just call it what it is according to scripture.

2Pe 2:1  But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Is that going to stop others from calling you a heretic? NO it is not.

Ac 24:14  But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

All we can do is have essentials that we believe are necessary, just like the Church has done from the first council in Jerusalem. Those that decide they hold to something we do not agree with can be called a damnable heresy, or a heresy or sect. Hey, even go the whole mile if damnable heresy is not clear enough, and call it blasphemous.

It is all up to God to make the difference. It is he that gives us our faith, it is a gift of God  He makes the difference, Not us. We cannot do anything about it except name it and leave it up to God.

As I mentioned to Joline: If someone is running a cult, deliberately teaching falsehood under the guise of "Christianity" while trying to control others, that's not "characterization"; that is blatant heresy that we need to warn believers of! And "Jesus becomes the greatest cult leader"?If we are going to start defining words as we like them by using the definitions we perfer, then what makes us any different from those who choose to define Christianity any way they wish?

Another point: "how do we know that the whole world is not a cult, and that minor groups are diversions from that fact?" Then it could be said that Christianity is merely one of those groups. But that goes against scripture:

This seems to simply be a game of "word gymnastics" that is only serving to distort meaning, not clarify it. I'm sorry, but per scripture, I can't buy what's being sold here, Kan.

distort meaning??????????Per scripture??????? Oy

The first excerpt speaks concerning its original sense. The second refers to the redefining of the term cult as it Morphs into a derogatory description, as men began to define it as derogatory. It becomes confusing for those whose language and culture maintained it's original meaning of RELIGION.

Terminological history[edit]

The word "cult" was originally used not to describe a group of religionists, but for the act of worship or religious ceremony. It was first used in the early 17th century, borrowed via the French culte, from Latin cultus (worship). This, in turn, was derived from the adjective cultus (inhabited, cultivated, worshiped), based on the verb colere (care, cultivate).[9] The word "culture" is also derived from the Latin words cultura and cultus, which in general terms refers to the customary beliefs, social forms and material traits of a religious or social group.[10]

However, whether any particular group's beliefs and practices are sufficiently deviant or novel is often unclear, thus making a precise definition problematic.[2][3] In the English speaking world, the word often carries derogatory connotations, but in other European languages, it is used as English-speakers use the word "religion", sometimes causing confusion for English-speakers reading material translated from other languages.[4][5] The word "cult" has always been controversial because it is (in a pejorative sense) considered a subjective term, used as an ad hominem attack against groups with differing doctrines or practices, which lacks a clear or consistent definition.[6][7]

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  4,027
  • Content Per Day:  16.64
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/13/2016 at 5:58 PM, Ezra said:

So we should just throw up our hands since everyone could be in a cult? That's ludicrous.  Here's how we should view this matter:

Bible Christianity -- doctrines and practices derived from Scripture, which are properly interpreted in the light of all Scripture.

False Christianity -- mixes the doctrines of men with the truth of God.

Apostasy -- denies Bible truths altogether.

Cults -- promote doctrines which contradict Bible truth while brainwashing their adherents.

These are simple one line definitions that are so "on target", they bear repeating as we go forward.  I would add that there is another category: Paganism.  Pagans really don't have any religion, and don't care to.  Atheists, Agnostics, Hedonists and Pagans can probably all be lumped together.

Guest Robert
21 hours ago, Joline said:

distort meaning??????????Per scripture??????? Oy

The first excerpt speaks concerning its original sense. The second refers to the redefining of the term cult as it Morphs into a derogatory description, as men began to define it as derogatory. It becomes confusing for those whose language and culture maintained it's original meaning of RELIGION.

Terminological history[edit]

The word "cult" was originally used not to describe a group of religionists, but for the act of worship or religious ceremony. It was first used in the early 17th century, borrowed via the French culte, from Latin cultus (worship). This, in turn, was derived from the adjective cultus (inhabited, cultivated, worshiped), based on the verb colere (care, cultivate).[9] The word "culture" is also derived from the Latin words cultura and cultus, which in general terms refers to the customary beliefs, social forms and material traits of a religious or social group.[10]

However, whether any particular group's beliefs and practices are sufficiently deviant or novel is often unclear, thus making a precise definition problematic.[2][3] In the English speaking world, the word often carries derogatory connotations, but in other European languages, it is used as English-speakers use the word "religion", sometimes causing confusion for English-speakers reading material translated from other languages.[4][5] The word "cult" has always been controversial because it is (in a pejorative sense) considered a subjective term, used as an ad hominem attack against groups with differing doctrines or practices, which lacks a clear or consistent definition.[6][7]

Okay, what bothers me here is that you insist on defending the word "cult" to be used in the context of Christianity. The Bible tells us to abstain from all appearance of evil; if we're going to attempt to circumvent it by using older definitions of words to insist that the modern meaning doesn't apply, then we're just playing games with scripture and the Lord. It is also creating confusion and discord with clever words, and God is NOT the author of confusion.

I'm done with this topic: Just be aware that the Lord's opinion on this may not match your pet "theory" here.

Hello Robert,

I mean no offense to you. And I would like to speak my thoughts on the matter without you being too easily offended. Can we speak our minds here? You certainly have thought to do so, and I will continue here.

I have mentioned Hypocrisy already. I spoke concerning the ideas of being dogmatic etc. So should I accuse you of wishing to associate cultic characteristic to the apostles? To associate dogma to a cult, it associates it to  our very apostles themselves. But you are concerned  that I might associate cult with the church?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

if we're going to attempt to circumvent it by using older definitions of words to insist that the modern meaning doesn't apply, then we're just playing games with scripture and the Lord.

Correct. The term *cult* has been in use for sometime to denote deviant beliefs.

30 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Correct. The term *cult* has been in use for sometime to denote deviant beliefs.

Yes, deviant beliefs. It is about what they believe. When you use characteristics, that can be applied to our scripture, and our faith, how does that look to those outside? We are not to Judge those outside, but they are certainly going judge us. And some of the characteristcs thrown around here are not going to go unmissed by those outside when they see it. Oh, and then let them look at the whole of our scriptures, the old testament. What a field day you may give them by your own concurrence? That is all I have been trying to say.

Now I have been accused of wickedness here enough. All I wished to do was give caution that you do not give to those outside the very ammunition to judge us and our faith.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  2

7 hours ago, RobertS said:

Okay, what bothers me here is that you insist on defending the word "cult" to be used in the context of Christianity. The Bible tells us to abstain from all appearance of evil; if we're going to attempt to circumvent it by using older definitions of words to insist that the modern meaning doesn't apply, then we're just playing games with scripture and the Lord. It is also creating confusion and discord with clever words, and God is NOT the author of confusion.

I'm done with this topic: Just be aware that the Lord's opinion on this may not match your pet "theory" here.

Your reaction is understandable, because the term "cult" can be applied by whomever to whomever in any which way. Yes it is confusing, but I did not mean to confuse anybody, except to point out that human nature has fingers pointing in all directions except to self. And if the world lies in wickedness, as the apostles taught, then we can expect them to be pointing the finger at what they think is the problem and name it a cult, most likely the saints. In the mean time, the devil is demonizing the name of Jesus, through extremist groups, knowing full well that the last saints standing will be demonized, just like they called our Lord "Beelzebub" exceptin this case he will have convinced the world that he is Christ and that the dissidents are criminals worthy of death. When the world has reached this point, God Himself will come down from heaven and intervene, with a consuming fire, that melts the bottom of the ocean.