• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

There is an online version of this, wherein if you hover the cursor over the verse addresses, the text of the verses pops up, without having to open new windows on the links, as happens here. It is much easier to use and read, but, you cannot reply to it there, if you want to reply/comment, that has to be done in this thread.

True Discipleship

Omegaman 3.0 - 5/13/16

The Great Commision

Jesus, in his great commission ( Matt 28:19-20 ), given to his disciples, told them to make other disciples and to teach them to obey everything that he had said.
If Jesus told his disciples to make other disciples and the teach them to obey everything he said, one of the things that the new disciples were to obey (because Jesus told the first disciples to do) is to make more disciples who are taught to obey.

So, here we are some 2000 years later having been made disciples, because other disciples in the past have handed down the command of making disciples and teaching the new disciples to obey what Jesus said.

So if we want to be true disciples of Jesus we also must make disciples and teach them to obey Christ and of course we must obey Christ as well.

Obedience to what?

So what things did Jesus command that we are supposed to pass on to others and that we ourselves are supposed to obey?

Listed below I have collected quite a few of the verses from the Gospel (Matthew primarily) which contain the commandments of Jesus. It is not an exhaustive list. Some of the things Jesus cammanded were to particular individuals, not to us, so I did not include those. For example, after Jesus had spat on the ground and applied the clay to the eyes (I hope that means the eyelids) of the blind begger, He said: "Go, wash in the pool of Siloam". Clearly, that command was not to be applied to everyone, so that sort of thing, is not in the following list.

Repent - Matthew 4:17

Follow Jesus - Matthew 4:19, 8:22

Let Your Good Works be Seen (with right motives) - Matthew 5:16

Reconcile & Confront Others, the Right Way - Matt 5:23–24, Matt 18:15–17 

Don't Sin in Action or in Thought - Matthew 5:27–30

Don Make Oaths - Matthew 5:34, 37

Don't Respond to Evil with Evil - Matthew 5:39-42

Love and Pray for Your Enemies - Matthew 5:44–46

Be Perfect - Matthew 5:48

Seek God's Kingdom First - Matthew 6:33

Don't Judge  -Matthew 7:1 (My Commentary on Judgement)

Don't Waste Your Breath - Matthew 7:6

Treat Others as You Would Like to be Treated - Matthew 7:12

Enter Eternity Through the Narrow Gate - Matthew 7:13-14

Be Wary of False Prophets - Matthew 7:15–16

Ask God to Send More Workers - Matthew 9:37–38

Don't Fear Those Who Can Kill You, Fear God - Matthew 10:28

Come to Jesus for Rest - Matthew 11:28

Forgive Readily and Repeatedly - Matthew 18:21–22

Give What is Due to Whom it is Due - Matthew 22:21

Love God - Matthew 22:37–38

Love your Neighbor - Matthew 22:39

Share in the Lord's Supper (Communion) - Matthew 26:26–27

Keep Guard Against Temptation - Matthew 26:41

Make Disciples - Matthew 28:19-20

Preach the Gospel - Mark 16:15

Don'r be Greedy - Luke 12:15

Give to Those Who Cannot Give Back - Luke 14:12–14

Love Other Disciples -  John 13:34 John 15:12 John 15:17

Suggested followup: If you consider yourself a disciple of the Christ, think about how you are doing, measured by the above list

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  14

You know Omegaman  you can start a book with this post its so large ,

did you get it all in there ? lol  are we called, to discipleship as was told to the apostles, or are we called, to learn and understand and spread the words as people who found and seeked the God, of Gods, and king of kings, ?

are we all called to be diciplies ? or are we told just to share the Good news, ?

what is the meaning of diciples, and what is the meaning of loving one another, for the sake of the almighty ?

shalom

1 hour ago, SINNERSAVED said:

You know Omegaman  you can start a book with this post its so large ,

did you get it all in there ? lol  are we called, to discipleship as was told to the apostles, or are we called, to learn and understand and spread the words as people who found and seeked the God, of Gods, and king of kings, ?

are we all called to be diciplies ? or are we told just to share the Good news, ?

what is the meaning of diciples, and what is the meaning of loving one another, for the sake of the almighty ?

Oh come on, it is not that large, a few short paragraphs, and I think less than thirty commands of Jesus

One of the things you asked, I already answered in the OP, but maybe I was unclear, let me see if I can clarify that part. You asked:

Are we called, to discipleship as was told to the apostles?

My answer is yes, absolutely, here is how.

Jesus said to the disciples to go out into all nations and make disciples, that is the first point, that was for the disciples He was speaking to. What where they to do with the disciples they made?

They were to teach those disciples to obey: "teaching them to observe all that I commanded you".

One of the things that He commanded them, was to make disciples and teach them to obey.

Therefore, the next generation of disciples, also need to go, and make disciples, and teach  them to obey. This has gone on for centuries. Now, here I am also obeying. a disciple, is a follower, a student, do I am reaching out to other disciples teaching them to obey Jesus commands.

Now, it would be one thing to tell them to obey Jesus. That is of course fine, but what did Jesus command? How do people obey, unless they know what to obey. That is the point of the list. Should I have shortened the list, as if Jesus said, "teach them to obey half of what I commanded you"?

Of course not, that is what makes the post a bit long, it is not my fault that Jesus as a few things to say, I am just a messenger. What people do with message, is between them and God.

So, to answer another one of you questions:

"or are we told just to share the Good news ?"

Nope, as i just showed you, we are called not only to share the gospel, but to make disciples and teach them to obey everything that Jesus commanded.

So, if you made a disciple, and then met with him or her once a week, and shared one of these things each week, in a little over half a year, you would have given them the crash course on obeying Jesus from His three plus years of daily teaching of His apostles. That is not a lot to ask, in this area, truly His yoke is easy, and His burden is light.

On your question of "what is a disciple?" I already answered that with the idea that is a student, who learns from and follows his teacher, in this case, Rabbi Jesus. The rest of your questions really go outside of the thread I think, my contribution here, my purpose, was to lay out the things a disciple needs to obey, as a disciple. I would say that it is okay, to ask a question about any of the things I listed, and then see what people have to say about it. However, I suggest not asking about several in a single post, that det to lengthy and to difficult to address. I am not saying that this has to be what happens, I am just suggesting what I think would work best. People can ask about a point, and see what others think, or, the  can just post an opinion of what they think on a point. However, even then, it could get messy, and it might be best, to ask such question or post opinions, on threads outside of this one, using this a a database of topics which could be discussed.

Thanks for reading and responding to, my post.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Another GOODY Mega!!!!!

Thank you so much,,,,,,I really like the way it works with just a simple "hover" of the cursor,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I've bookmarked it,,,,I think it is pretty neat to go through a question a day,,,,,,,,,great idea!                                                  With love-in Christ<kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

Actually "Go wash in the pool of Siloam" could be argued as a case as a command for baptism. Was blind and now I see. 

Good post, good study for tonight.

is any and every one cut out to be a disciple,

and how do we know if they  or the people are teaching truth , for there is so much contradictions to ideas in scripture that no one, understands the simple word of God , so this, comes to knowing what we are to be preaching, many say they know, and they don't, and those that know, how do they get out and reach people, for I see a lot of false teaching for not understanding scripture as it was meant to be told . and if you use a NIV bible there is scripture completely removed, and changed so , we are all not even with the same, bibles and it changes  in terminaolgy ?

thanks

4 hours ago, SINNERSAVED said:

is any and every one cut out to be a disciple,

and how do we know if they  or the people are teaching truth , for there is so much contradictions to ideas in scripture that no one, understands the simple word of God , so this, comes to knowing what we are to be preaching, many say they know, and they don't, and those that know, how do they get out and reach people, for I see a lot of false teaching for not understanding scripture as it was meant to be told . and if you use a NIV bible there is scripture completely removed, and changed so , we are all not even with the same, bibles and it changes  in terminaolgy ?

thanks

It does not matter if a person is cut out to be a disciple. Are we able to say, I am not cut out for praying, I am not cutout for learning from the word, I am not cut out to praise and worship God, or to love Him. I am not cut our to try to resist temptation to sin? 

When something is commanded, it is not a suggestion, we can either obey, or we can rebel (sin).

God does not call people based on their qualifications, there are plenty of people, who God chose to do things, in some cases, he chooses the unlikely, to show His power.

We could get into the stuff about who knows what, and what the NIV has missing (or is it the KJV has added?), but we won;t, because this thread is not about that, it is about dicipleship and obedience to Christ, and the NIV has all the same teaching about what Jesus commanded as any version, as far as I know, so, let's stay on topic. If you are not interested with obeying Jesus' commands, or talking about that, I cannot help you there, but God can!

8 hours ago, Zemke said:

Actually "Go wash in the pool of Siloam" could be argued as a case as a command for baptism. Was blind and now I see. 

Good post, good study for tonight.

It could, but it would be a very weak argument, reading into scripture, something that is not stated. Why do we need to see typology and symbolism, when the reality is already spelled out in plain language?

Thanks for checking the thread out, and for commenting, and for the compliment, and even for offering the parallel with baptism and blindness.

7 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

It does not matter if a person is cut out to be a disciple. Are we able to say, I am not cut out for praying, I am not cutout for learning from the word, I am not cut out to praise and worship God, or to love Him. I am not cut our to try to resist temptation to sin? 

When something is commanded, it is not a suggestion, we can either obey, or we can rebel (sin).

God does not call people based on their qualifications, there are plenty of people, who God chose to do things, in some cases, he chooses the unlikely, to show His power.

We could get into the stuff about who knows what, and what the NIV has missing (or is it the KJV has added?), but we won;t, because this thread is not about that, it is about dicipleship and obedience to Christ, and the NIV has all the same teaching about what Jesus commanded as any version, as far as I know, so, let's stay on topic. If you are not interested with obeying Jesus' commands, or talking about that, I cannot help you there, but God can!

then I have to say ?, there is a contradiction with this you say we need to follow the commandment of God and what was told to us and we need to follow and yet, when in Leviticus people are told about unclean and clean , and today we say all is clean, this is not what God says , ? in the book of Isaiah 65 and 66 it tells us of the coming of the anger of the lord and clearly states that those, that purify them selves with the unclean , things, will he take his vengeance out on, and so we then see that it was never ment to have what is Gods word unclean , clean, and so where do we accept or deny this two chapters ? then we have taken it upon our selves to do what we are told not to , and this is not following , from what I understand is the word of God ,?

this is a more then a fair question, and when I brought it, up it was removed , ? so could I get a honest answer, ? I am just asking and then I will let it go , for you know its about learning, and I am just looking for simple, answers, I am not making anything up ,but this two chapters I would say needs to be addressed just like the rapture debate, ?pre post and trib, not all have the say answer, and all believe different?

we all have our own opinions,.  yes, but could you please answer this , you have a great knowledge of the bible, what do you say it means then  ?

thank you for your time, shalom

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

15 hours ago, SINNERSAVED said:

is any and every one cut out to be a disciple

Every Christian is required to be a disciple, and Christ's command to the Church is to "make disciples".  So why do you ask such questions?