• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/02/1956

The famous verse in question reads as follows:

"And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." ~Matthew 16:18

I have always believed (because I was always taught) that Hell is waging an ongoing "offensive" against the church, but that it (Hell) will never prevail. But as I've considered it again recently, that doesn't seem to be what it's saying at all. Gates, for instance, especially in the ancient world, were defensive weapons, NOT offensive. And since that is true, does it not make more sense to understand that the church is the one on the offensive and that the "gates of Hell" will not prevail against our forceful advance (or keep the church at bay forever)? 

There are more things to discuss about the second half of this verse, but I wanted to get your thoughts on this first. 

What is your understanding of Matthew 16:18b? Are the, "gates of Hell", an offensive weapon aimed at destroying the church, or a defensive weapon used to try to hold the church at bay?

Or does it mean something else altogether??

If you wouldn't mind, please explain why you believe what you do?

--David

Edited by St_Worm2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

Scrivener's Textus Receptus 1894
κἀγὼ δέ σοι λέγω, ὅτι σὺ εἶ Πέτρος, καὶ ἐπὶ ταύτῃ τῇ πέτρᾳ οἰκοδομήσω μου τὴν ἐκκλησίαν, καὶ πύλαι ᾅδου οὐ κατισχύσουσιν αὐτῆς.
King James 2000 Bible
And I say also unto you, That you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hades shall not prevail against it.

The word translated as "hell" in many versions is the Greek word "Hades", which changes the common understanding of this verse. Until the resurrection of Christ, the souls and spirits of the Old Testament saints went to Abraham's Bosom, which was a section in Hades reserved for the righteous dead. In one sense they were in prison, awaiting the finished work of Christ. Following His resurrection, all these saints were taken to Heaven by Christ.  Since Christ's resurrection, not a single saint goes to Hades, but goes directly to Heaven. Thus the metaphorical gates of Hades do not, and cannot, prevail against the Church (which is in Heaven).  Even for those Christians who are on earth, Paul tells us that our citizenship is in Heaven.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Since I value God's Word over my own opinion here is the answer:

mp3speaker.gifgates of hell

Question: "What are the gates of hell?"

Answer:
The phrase the “gates of hell” is translated in some versions as the “gates of Hades.” “Gates of hell” or “gates of Hades” is found only once in the entire Scriptures, in Matthew 16:18. In this passage, Jesus is referring to the building of His church: “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” (Matthew 16:18).

At that time Jesus had not yet established His church. In fact, this is the first instance of the word church in the New Testament. The word church, as used by Jesus, is derived from the Greek ekklasia, which means the “called out” or “assembly.” In other words, the church that Jesus is referencing as His church is the assembly of people who have been called out of the world by the gospel of Christ.

Bible scholars debate the actual meaning of the phrase “and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” One of the better interpretations to the meaning of this phrase is as follows. In ancient times, the cities were surrounded by walls with gates, and in battles the gates of these cities would usually be the first place their enemies assaulted. This was because the protection of the city was determined by the strength or power of its gates.

As such, the “gates of hell” or “gates of Hades” means the power of Hades. The name “Hades” was originally the name of the god who presided over the realm of the dead and was often referred to as the “house of Hades.” It designated the place to which everyone who departs this life descends, regardless of their moral character. In the New Testament, Hades is the realm of the dead, and in this verse Hades or hell is represented as a mighty city with its gates representing its power.

Jesus refers here to His impending death. Though He would be crucified and buried, He would rise from the dead and build His church. Jesus is emphasizing the fact that the powers of death could not hold Him in. Not only would the church be established in spite of the powers of Hades or hell, but the church would thrive in spite of these powers. The church will never fail, though generation after generation succumbs to the power of physical death, yet other generations will arise to perpetuate the church. And it will continue until it has fulfilled its mission on earth as Jesus has commanded:

“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:18–20).

It is clear that Jesus was declaring that death has no power to hold God's people captive. Its gates are not strong enough to overpower and keep imprisoned the church of God. The Lord has conquered death (Romans 8:2; Acts 2:24). And because “death no longer is master over Him” (Romans 6:9), it is no longer master over those who belong to Him.

Satan has the power of death, and he will always use that power to try to destroy the church of Christ. But we have this promise from Jesus that His church, the “called out” will prevail: “Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live” (John 14:19).

http://www.gotquestions.org/gates-of-hell.html

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

'Satan has the power of death, and he will always use that power to try to destroy the church of Christ."

http://www.gotquestions.org/gates-of-hell.html

Not so.

Thankfully, for us, Jesus defeated Satan, Jesus having conqured Hell and death and the grave during His crucifiction and during the three days He was in the underworld, He took those being held captive by the devil against their wills till Christ's death and resurrection  in Abrahams bosom, (Paradise), to heaven.

In Luke 16:19-31; 23:43, we have pictured total comfort and water in this prison because the rich man saw Lazarus afar off in comfort and bliss and asked him to dip his finger in water and cool his tongue (Luke 16:19-31). This was the abode of the righteous souls from Adam after dying and leaving their bodies, being held captive by the devil against their wills till Christ's death and resurrection (Heb. 2:14-15; Eph. 4:7-11). Before Jesus Christ conqured the power of death and Hell, the devil had these powers. (Col. 2:14-17; Heb. 2:14-15; Rev. 1:18).

It was into this prison the repentant thief went with Christ the day they both died (Luke 23:43, "And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise")

This prison is located in the heart of the Earth as is clear from Matt. 12:40 and Eph. 4:7-11. Jesus not only went into this prison but He also went into another prison, "Tartarus," and preached to the fallen angels being held there in their own special prison. Jesus having conqured Hell and death and the grave during His crucifiction and during the three days He was in the underworld, He captured all the righteous souls that were in Paradise and took them to Heaven when He ascended on high (Eph. 4:7-11). Jesus now has the keys to Hell and death (Rev. 1:18). Rightious souls who die now no longer go here. They go straight to Heaven when they die.

Satan only has power over those who give in to him, those who reject Christ and His Word.

Col 2:15, "And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it."

4 hours ago, SINNERSAVED said:

is not st peters square ,the place of the church and the Vatican, where the statue of peter sits , and the church is know by today ?

this is  a land mark and a real place today in Rome?

This has nothing to do with the discussion. Death and Hades have no power over the Church (redeemed Jews and Gentiles in one Body) since the resurrection of Christ.  And Christ Himself is the Rock.

Guest Robert
14 minutes ago, Ezra said:

This has nothing to do with the discussion. Death and Hades have no power over the Church (redeemed Jews and Gentiles in one Body) since the resurrection of Christ.  And Christ Himself is the Rock.

Agreed; Christ says in Revelation that He has the keys of death and hell.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings St_Worm.....

Since the phrase "Gates of Hell" is only found in Matthew 16:18 & not u9sed elsewhere in Scripture we can onl y go by it's literal(or figurative) meaning,,,,,in Greek

πύλη
pulē
poo'-lay
Apparently a primary word; a gate, that is, the leaf or wing of a folding entrance (literally or figuratively): - gate.                     from Sword's

But more importantly,relative to your question, I look at the word,,,,,,"prevail" which was translated from a word best defined as "overpower"

ατισχύω
katischuō
kat-is-khoo'-o
From G2596 and G2480; to overpower: - prevail (against).                                                                                                a;so taken from Sword's

So ,"no",,,,,,,,I do not think it means anything more than your original interpretation,,,,,,,

waging an ongoing "offensive" against the church,                                                     posted(in part)by St_Worm 2

Ezra gave a very good & simple explanation(imo)

Thus the metaphorical gates of Hades do not, and cannot, prevail against the Church                                          posted by Ezra

Praise Jesus!                                    With love-in Christ,Kwik

On 5/16/2016 at 8:48 PM, RobertS said:

Agreed; Christ says in Revelation that He has the keys of death and hell.

Yes, and if we make that "keys of death and Hades" it fits right in. Both those keys were in Christ's resurrection.  In one sense Christ tore away the gates of Hades when He brought out all the OT saints and took them directly to Heaven (Eph 4:8-10; Heb 12:23). Therefore they don't even exist for Christians, and cannot prevail against the Church (the Body of Christ).

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,825
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

23 hours ago, SINNERSAVED said:

the gates of hell will not prevail, ?

who is standing at the gate of hell, and who is in hell, is more of the question, and who will go to Hell ?

satan does not have the power, of death any more, in fact , explained and example, is JOB , with out permission of God not thing is done, and all power and authority is now of the Son of God, and when Jesus has completed all that is needed to be complete then He turns it over to the Father, and so ,

satan is allowed to over come the saints for 42 months, it is authorized and given for him, to do , for the death of people is in the hands of God, and so where is the understanding that we need to watch out for satan ?

if God allows this, then there is something I am not understanding, why would God allow satan or the antichrist to put the believing saints to death for 42 months, ? what would be the purpose,

is this the time, of testing ? is this what we have to go through to be saved and everlasting life, ?

I don't understand this ?

if some one wants to share and tell me what this is about, then I would understand what the keys of hell means ?

thank you trying to understand  this ?

shalom

Hello SS, you made an honest question, and I hope that I may shed some light to it, for that's what I think.

As we know before Jesus Christ inherit the Heavens, there was only one place for all people, and that was Hades.

The Devil took the first pair and thus their all offsprings.

I am talking before the Cross. 

And Abraham and his descendas that's where they went but did not mix with the rest, they had their own place. (The blossom of Abraham).

This is what is called the captivity of the human race, something like that. 

Since the Cross things have change. 

We have also the new, the Heavenly inheritance for people, and also we have the Judge of all, who decides who goes where.

You may not agree with that but you must give it a thought.

The only people that were left down there in Hades at the time of the resuraction, are only those who denied Jesus, for the Gospel was preach to all people who had died before Jesus Christ.

Those who believed left with Jesus.

When we say Jesus has the Keys. It means that no one can leave Hades anymore, Jesus has lock the Gate.

Now the people who are there they are not captives any more, they are those with the denial, the children of the Devil.

The children of Jesus Christ in Heaven and the children of the Antichrist in Hell. 

When someone dies appears before the judge of all that's Jesus, if they have faith in Jesus they have the life, if they have the denial in them that means they have death, Jesus opens the Gate of Hell puts them in and locks it up again, there is no way out. .

The Devil can have the children of the Antichrist only. His own children no more captives down there. 

Now if you are an inquiring mind you will say what about those who have pass away after the Cross and they did not denied neither believed, for various reasons.

Now this is for you to figure it out, the Devil only gets his own children and no one else. 

Those who do not belong in either side they can not go to Hades or Hell, they are not the children of the Antichrist, they do not have the denial. ..

This is the Judgement according to faith in Jesus Christ. 

These people without faith or the denial, they also must be judge according to their faith or denial in the name of jesus.

The rest is simple, there must be first a place for them to go where they can here the Gospel and make their decision to believe or to denied. And that place can not be in Hades.

For they did not here the Gospel while they still lived, then the only other way is to hear it after they die, and out of their bodies.

Just like before during Jesus three days in Hades the Gospel was offered to people out of their bodies.

Enough is Enouph, I did not know how to put it with lesser words, and thank you for the sermon, Amen.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/02/1956

4 hours ago, Murphy said:

Sheol is the original Hebrew concept of the underword.

Bosom of Abraham means 'in the safety of' or safe harbor.

Sheol will no longer exist after the Millennial reign of Messiah, the last death is that of death itself.

There is no eternal hell.

Hi Murphy, where do the goats, all those not named in the Book of Life, Satan, the fallen angels, the beast, the false prophet, etc. go, or do you simply mean that Hell and the 2nd Death/Lake of Fire are not the same place? The Bible certainly seems to speak of ETERNAL punishment for the reprobate and the fallen angels. For instance:

"Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and everlasting contempt." ~Dan 12:2

"He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels. These will go away into eternal punishment" ~Matt 25:41/46a

"The devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever." ~Rev 20:10

"Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire."~Rev 20:14-15

Thanks!

--David

Edited by St_Worm2