• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

from First Things:

"Christianity has long been susceptible to antinomian temptations. St. Paul’s pointed and often rhetorically violent rejections of the role of Jewish law in the lives of Jesus’ Gentile followers are difficult to untangle, and it is easy to fall back upon simple juxtapositions between law and grace or between letter and spirit. Moreover, the gospel stories report many instances in which Jesus rebukes the scribes and Pharisees, reinforcing a common Christian view that faith is at odds with a law-focused piety. These antinomian temptations need to be resisted, especially today when an antinomian spirit predominates in our culture at large.

"Christianity, of course, provides many reasons to resist the antinomian temptation. 'Not my will, but thine,' says Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane on the eve of his passion and death. St. Benedict’s Rule provided the basis for monasticism in the West. Martin Luther put the Ten Commandments at the head of his catechism, and as John Paul II explained in Veritatis Splendor, his encyclical on moral theology, the commanding power of moral truth serves as the foundation for genuine self-possession and authentic human freedom. But we are children of our antinomian age, one that Christianity itself has played a role in shaping. Therefore Christians do well to turn to Jewish thinkers, for they can help us formulate pro-nomian antidotes to our antinomian diseases...."

http://www.firstthings.com/article/2012/01/loving-the-law

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Old School

It certainly is a "lawless" generation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it has just become more & more acceptable throughout the ages,nothing that the Wford of God has not forewarned us about ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,                                     Love,Kwik

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

It is the law that leads us to Christ.  But after we are born again and follow after the Spirit, we practice the law of love--Love God with all our being and to be loving toward others, forgiving and extending the same grace toward them as God has given us.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

It is the law that leads us to Christ.  But after we are born again and follow after the Spirit, we practice the law of love--Love God with all our being and to be loving toward others, forgiving and extending the same grace toward them as God has given us

Amen Sis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What more can we say,LOVE is the "Greatest" of these................

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
                                                                                                                                                                      1 Corinthians 13:13

With LOVE-in Christ,Kwik

1 hour ago, Willa said:

It is the law that leads us to Christ.  But after we are born again and follow after the Spirit, we practice the law of love--Love God with all our being and to be loving toward others, forgiving and extending the same grace toward them as God has given us.

Amen Willa,

We also walk in the steps of faith of our father Abraham too.

Ro 3:27  Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
Ro 4:12  And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

5 hours ago, OldSchool2 said:

from First Things:

"Christianity has long been susceptible to antinomian temptations. St. Paul’s pointed and often rhetorically violent rejections of the role of Jewish law in the lives of Jesus’ Gentile followers are difficult to untangle, and it is easy to fall back upon simple juxtapositions between law and grace or between letter and spirit. Moreover, the gospel stories report many instances in which Jesus rebukes the scribes and Pharisees, reinforcing a common Christian view that faith is at odds with a law-focused piety. These antinomian temptations need to be resisted, especially today when an antinomian spirit predominates in our culture at large.

"Christianity, of course, provides many reasons to resist the antinomian temptation. 'Not my will, but thine,' says Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane on the eve of his passion and death. St. Benedict’s Rule provided the basis for monasticism in the West. Martin Luther put the Ten Commandments at the head of his catechism, and as John Paul II explained in Veritatis Splendor, his encyclical on moral theology, the commanding power of moral truth serves as the foundation for genuine self-possession and authentic human freedom. But we are children of our antinomian age, one that Christianity itself has played a role in shaping. Therefore Christians do well to turn to Jewish thinkers, for they can help us formulate pro-nomian antidotes to our antinomian diseases...."

Those who love God, love the bible. The entire bible. That includes the Mosaic law.

But most Christians have never been under the Mosaic law. The NT compares the Mosaic covenant to the New Covenant and says the New Covenant is a better covenant which it most certainly is. The mistake would be to think that since the New Covenant is a better covenant, that means the Mosaic covenant was a bad covenant. The Mosaic covenant was given by God and nothing God gives is bad. The Mosaic covenant is a good covenant and a gift and blessing to the children of Israel.

I would not advise a Christian to study a Rabbi to help to alter an opinion as this article encourages. If you want to understand a little bit about the view of Orthodox Jews on the law, but not as a Christian teaching.

My next statement might be controversial. No true born again Christian is antinomian.  The indwelling Holy Spirit convicts of sin, leads into truth, and is a teacher. He is the law written on our hearts. A indwelt believer has a deep desire to follow Jesus. There is nothing antinomian about an indwelt believer. 

21 minutes ago, Qnts2 said:

Those who love God, love the bible. The entire bible. That includes the Mosaic law.

But most Christians have never been under the Mosaic law. The NT compares the Mosaic covenant to the New Covenant and says the New Covenant is a better covenant which it most certainly is. The mistake would be to think that since the New Covenant is a better covenant, that means the Mosaic covenant was a bad covenant. The Mosaic covenant was given by God and nothing God gives is bad. The Mosaic covenant is a good covenant and a gift and blessing to the children of Israel.

I would not advise a Christian to study a Rabbi to help to alter an opinion as this article encourages. If you want to understand a little bit about the view of Orthodox Jews on the law, but not as a Christian teaching.

My next statement might be controversial. No true born again Christian is antinomian.  The indwelling Holy Spirit convicts of sin, leads into truth, and is a teacher. He is the law written on our hearts. A indwelt believer has a deep desire to follow Jesus. There is nothing antinomian about an indwelt believer. 

Why do you say Christians think it is a bad covenant? It Judges the faithless and sin. I do not see law that punishes crime as bad.

The law of Moses also contained curses, and prophetic judgements. Is that bad?

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,154
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

There is something that theologically one must give assent to- The Law was only given because of sin
and once sin is put away The Law will no longer be necessary as the eternity will be righteousness where
no law is needed.   Love, Steven

1 minute ago, enoob57 said:

There is something that theologically one must give assent to- The Law was only given because of sin
and once sin is put away The Law will no longer be necessary as the eternity will be righteousness where
no law is needed.   Love, Steven

The apostles teach it served as a schoolmaster to bring to Christ as well. Once we come to Christ we are no longer under the schoolmaster.

But law is more than Moses law. Moses aw was additional, because of Sin. I believe Abraham kept the law of faith.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  14

7 hours ago, OldSchool2 said:

from First Things:

it is too confusing to get through all this intro, would you please break it down to what you are sharing in teaching and what is your view point on this, for the common people as my self, I do not understand this topic,

I have a idea, but I would love to comment, once you have broken it down to a understandable, read,

thank you , for I believe you are asking about or telling about the law and the grace, and the ways of the laws of the jews , and what we are doing today as Christians, in what we believe, but if I continue, I will also confuse my self, and we do not want that, Lol

please explain your self,

thank you for sharing