Struggling

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

The Word of God is a must-read for any Christian. It's words are basically life for me and you. But I really want to know how to apply it, since I'm struggling (hence the name) to apply it. For this reason, I've felt that I'm getting nowhere.

So please reply and help me! I've been facing this for months now! I thought it was simple to apply it but I was wrong.

Just please help me.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Interpret it properly (#1)

2 Peter 1:20-21 says prophecy but the entire Bible was given in this manner. So the Holy Spirit alone is to interpret the Bible.

You must test the spirits (1 John 4:1) to be sure you are tuned into the actual Holy Spirit by the Bible itself (Acts 17:11).

We are to test all things by this (1 Thessalonians 5:21), and the scriptures are (2 Timothy 3:16-17) and we are to study them (2 Timothy 2:15) to correctly divide them.

Earth is a hostile environment to truth so God had to reveal his Word with stealth (Proverbs 25:2 and Deuteronomy 29:29) in his Word here a little there a little (Isaiah 28:9-13) and he reveals truth to us by his Holy Spirit (john 16:13).

Applying it to your life?

Get familiar with it first or rather as you apply it more and more.

Old Testament = futility of keeping the law as it was intended to prove

New Testament = undeserved grace from God.

How to deal with sin as a believer in Jesus:

1 John 1:5 - 1 John 2:17.

The nuts and bolts of it is Romans 7:14 - 8:39.

Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

4 hours ago, Struggling said:

So please reply and help me! I've been facing this for months now! I thought it was simple to apply it but I was wrong.  Just please help me.

Struggling,

Don't make things more difficult than they are.  Here's a suggestion. Go to 1 Corinthians 13, make a list of what is stated there, and then think of people to whom you could show those attitudes in practical terms. Take the matter of being kind, and see how you can be kind to those who need your kindness. Then keep going from there.

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

20 hours ago, Struggling said:

The Word of God is a must-read for any Christian. It's words are basically life for me and you. But I really want to know how to apply it, since I'm struggling (hence the name) to apply it. For this reason, I've felt that I'm getting nowhere.

So please reply and help me! I've been facing this for months now! I thought it was simple to apply it but I was wrong.

Just please help me.

Hi Struggling,

I quite understand. When I was a young believer people used to say `just look to Jesus.` Well I had no idea how to do that. I think glib phrases like that can be very unhelpful.

So to your question - How to apply the words of the Bible.

First- I believe that when you read God`s word you need to think about what it tells you of the Lord. Too often we try to get to US first.

Second - As you think & meditate upon the Lord, He, yes He will highlight something as you read & the Holy Spirit will show you how this is for your life.

All the best, Marilyn.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  14

Dear struggling,

you are not alone, to try to figure out how and what do , to get your self to understand and to walk with God,

first of all, you need to see that , when you read the bible that you are understanding the way that the lord showed us

how we are to conduct our attitude, and behavior, it is like a new moral compass, and so you take, one, book at a time, in the bible and  then meditate on it and see what God is showing you in them and then if it tells you to be kind < for example,. then be kind, if it tells you to give to the poor, and the needy ? , then  give to the poor and the needy, if there is something you can do for someone, then try to take a little time, or a moment to help someone, and not expecting any thing in return, and then you will see what love  is and what God is, and then you read a little more, and try to follow what is good, and if there is some, thing bad or no good, try to make it right,  and change it for the good, even if it means to humble your self in a argument with someone, request , to be forgiven , and hold no hate or anger in your heart,  and if they do you wrong, do not take, revenge, let it go ,

for it is a change from the inside out and it starts with practicing, to be a kind compassionate and understanding person, slow to speak , and slow to anger, having patients and smile , for smiling and a calm way will calm others down, for it is all about the changing of the heart and the mind, and always pray , pray for strength , pray for wisdom, and continue, to follow what is right and what is good, get away from bad habits, , and any thing that you know is not good, or that causes problems, to your self ,family and your people around, you , it is acknowledging that God  is always there, and even in secret, and when you figure that out,  you will change and things around you will change, this is the start of walking with God

put on the armor of God and be careful of what you watch or see, and hear or listen too, if garbage goes in, then garbage comes out,  in all things, the eyes ,are the windows of the souls, and you need to be guarding them , from things you know are not good,

and when you speak, guard your tongue, to not curse, and say things that hurt, and that are mean or hateful, and things that destroy relationships, its best to be silent and think, before saying, or even thinking and praying for strength to be more patient and calm, then to jump and take action spontaneously

I hope some of this helps,

blessings to you and shalom

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

apply it as you are given insite by the Holy Spirit--  line upon line, precept upon precept-- when you are given an understanding of a part of the word- just do it-- its Difficult to apply things you don't fully understand-- but when you do understand it the Lord will help you to apply it if you ask for the help--- as in all aspects of the Christian life- prayer is fundamental to success

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,097
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Struggling,,,,,

This is a very good question & I am going to give you the best answer I can,,,,,,I'm praying(as I always do) that the Holy Spirit will give me the Words,,,,,,,that's the most important thing right there,,,,,it is not so much "How do "I" apply it" but rather,,,,,,,"Use me Lord" and He Will bring remembrance to you,,,,,,

OKay,the Word of God is not just a "must -read",,,,It is "The LIVING WORD",,,,,,think of it as your direct "line"(phone line,internet connection etc,,,) to GOD,,,,,not a book you are reading,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We seek God in it,we desire that He Reveal Himself to us through His Word,,,,,,justv as you & I are having a discussion through these words I have written,,,,,,you don't doubt for one minute that I am a real live person talking with you,,,,,,that is how it is with the Written Word of God

Picture yourself an empty cup(now remember IT MUST BE EMPTY!!!) Fill that cup up with Gods Word,if you leave the cup on the counter & do not add to it,it evaporates,,,,,,,if you pour some out & don't fill it back up it empties & if you add something else to the sweet wine,like sour vinegar,,,,,it spoils the whole drink!!!!Now here is where it all ties in to your question & my answer in the 1sr sentence,,,,,,,,,,How can the Holy Spirit bring remembrance to you if you have not heard it(or drank of it) in the 1st place?   This is the Key to WALKING in SPIRIT & in TRUTH,,,,,,,,,,if you only hunger & thirst for Gods Word ,seeking God earnestly,then the Holy Spirit is unhindered by YOU,,,,,,you are so FILLED With the Sword of the Spirit that you begin walking the walk and not only is the Word of God being applied to your life,it is your life,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you see?

It is not about,"How do I do?",,,,,,but "He does" through you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you just "get out of the way",,,,,,we are to pray without ceasing & don't let the word"pray" become an obstacle,,,,it means to be in a continual & constant Relationship through communication with our Lord,,,,,,,,,,,think "above",eternal minded,Godly,Heavenly,lovely,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as Ezra said in 1 Cor 13.............ask the Lord,by the Power of the Holy Spirit,to USE YOU as His Vessel,,,,,,,,& the cup(vessel) must be emptied of "self" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope this encourages you to "let go,let God"      & to God be the Glory!                                                                 With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

When you read the Word, and you remember someone or some situation where you need to do what it is telling you, then do it.  That is how you apply it. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  09/02/1956

Hi Struggling, one of the most important ways we apply the word of God is by simply "believing" what it says (IOW, by believing "Him" at His word). For instance, we need to believe and trust that what He promises other Christians will be just as true for us, right :)  This is especially important when someone is "struggling" with his/her faith.

As an example of what I mean, St. John tells us:

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." ~1 John 1:9

So when you sin (and sadly, we all do), you need to ask the Lord for forgiveness .. and then you need to take Him at His word and believe that He has done exactly that :) Whether you 'feel' like you are forgiven or not is not important (you may not sometimes :(), what 'is' important is believing/knowing that you are :thumbsup: If you don't, you may 1) continue to be useless to Him as you wallow in that for which you have already been forgiven and 2) end up needing to ask Him for forgiveness again, but this time it will be for doubting whether what He has promised us is true or not.  

Sin stings, so it's hard for us to completely forget it (which can be a good thing when used in the right context, IOW, to remind us why we don't want to fall back into the same sin again), and Satan will always be there to lie to us and to tell us that 1) we are bad and worthless 2) we don't deserve to be forgiven 3) we aren't forgiven, no matter what God says, and then 4) that we were never Christians to begin with. 

But that's all coming from Satan, NOT the Lord :amen:  So if you want to please Him, just believe Him (Hebrews 11:6).

There's much more to applying God's word, of course, but if you find that you are listening to Satan RATHER than listening to and believing God, that's obviously the place you need to start. 

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - in what ways, specifically, do you feel that you are struggling to apply God's word?

Edited by St_Worm2

• 5 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

apply the Word liberally, in large amounts and several coats, in a well-ventilated area. 

immerse yourself in it and let it completely soak in. hang on a tree and air-dry. 

for internal and external use.

use only as directed. 

^_^