IGNORED

Who would have thought ? The apostle Peter was a back slider.

HAZARD

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Who would have thought? Peter was a back slider.

1. In verse Matt. 26:33;  .  .  .  .  .  Pr. 16:18, he boasted.
2. Made Christ a lier (v 33-35)
3. Slept instead of praying (v 40)
4. Failed to moritify the flesh (v 41)
5. Relied on the arm of flesh (v 51)
6. Forsook Christ and fled (v 56)
7. Followed afar off (v 58)
8. Sat with the Lords enemies (v 58)
9. Gave up hope-discouraged (v 58)
10. became afraid of men (v 69-74)
11. Lied (v 69-74)
12 Cursed (v 69-74).

In Matt. 26:58; "But Peter followed him afar off unto the high priest's palace, and went in, and sat with the servants, to see the end."

Fortunately unlike Judas who hung himself, Peter repented and was forgiven by god.

Jesus had predicted his backsliding and re-conversion (Luke 22:31-34).

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/30/1968

I once heard a pastor refer to him as "ready, fire, aim Peter". I thought that was hilarious. I am grateful that God uses flawed people; I fit right in!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

It shows in contrast the boldness and power with which Peter spoke when he addressed the Jews at Pentecost after the Holy Spirit Had fallen on him and he had received power to preach the Gospel.   God is all the more glorified when He uses flawed people because His strength is made perfect in our weakness.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings John,,,,,

Yes,God uses very ORDINARY people to do EXTRAORDINARY things,giving God ALL the Glory!!!

As far as Peter being flawed,absolutely! To call him a "back slider" weeeellll,I,'m not sure about that,,,,,I'll tell you why I say this.....

Peter & all the Apostles,,,,,,walked,talked,ate,drank,slept & followed Jesus for over 3 years as He came in the Flesh & Lived on the earth in a Physical Body,He had not yet given them His Spirit until after He Rose from the dead,,,,,,& then not until 50 days later when they became FULLY COMMITTED, is when Jesus committed to them,,,,His Holy Spirit,,,,,

King James Bible
(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)                                                               John 7:39

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• 2 months later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/25/1942

On 5/18/2016 at 10:37 PM, HAZARD said:

Who would have thought? Peter was a back slider.

1. In verse Matt. 26:33;  .  .  .  .  .  Pr. 16:18, he boasted.
2. Made Christ a lier (v 33-35)
3. Slept instead of praying (v 40)
4. Failed to moritify the flesh (v 41)
5. Relied on the arm of flesh (v 51)
6. Forsook Christ and fled (v 56)
7. Followed afar off (v 58)
8. Sat with the Lords enemies (v 58)
9. Gave up hope-discouraged (v 58)
10. became afraid of men (v 69-74)
11. Lied (v 69-74)
12 Cursed (v 69-74).

In Matt. 26:58; "But Peter followed him afar off unto the high priest's palace, and went in, and sat with the servants, to see the end."

Fortunately unlike Judas who hung himself, Peter repented and was forgiven by god.

Jesus had predicted his backsliding and re-conversion (Luke 22:31-34).

But, of course, Peter wasn't a "Christian" when all these cited things occurred - just a "Religious Jew".  The New Testament doesn't even start until Mat 28.  NOBODY was "Born Again" of the Spirit - yet.

Peter had a "Reality Issue" to deal with - He said: (John 13:37) Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will laydown my life for thy sake.  

Of course it was all <<<removed profane reference>>> and JESUS knew it, but Peter didn't - until the Lord SHOWED HIM just how "Dedicated" he REALLY was.

And When in John 21 (Lovest thou me??) Peter was now able to admit that he REALLY DIDN"T have "Agape" love for Jesus - only "Phileo" (he really liked Him), which Peter had proven to himself in Mat 26.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  4,056
  • Content Per Day:  15.13

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:10 AM, johnc5055 said:

I once heard a pastor refer to him as "ready, fire, aim Peter". I thought that was hilarious. I am grateful that God uses flawed people; I fit right in!

Me too.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  4,056
  • Content Per Day:  15.13

17 hours ago, Bob Carabbio said:

But, of course, Peter wasn't a "Christian" when all these cited things occurred - just a "Religious Jew".  The New Testament doesn't even start until Mat 28.  NOBODY was "Born Again" of the Spirit - yet.

Peter had a "Reality Issue" to deal with - He said: (John 13:37) Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will laydown my life for thy sake.  

Of course it was all - and JESUS knew it, but Peter didn't - until the Lord SHOWED HIM just how "Dedicated" he REALLY was.

And When in John 21 (Lovest thou me??) Peter was now able to admit that he REALLY DIDN"T have "Agape" love for Jesus - only "Phileo" (he really liked Him), which Peter had proven to himself in Mat 26.

But the apostles had some measure of the Holy Spirit because they were casting out demons in Jesus name.  Jesus had given His disciples authority to cast out demons (see Matthew 10:1; Mark 3:14-15; Luke 9:1).  They just lacked complete faith which would come after Jesus' resurrection, ascension and the Holy Spirit coming to them in the Upper Room.

Source: http://www.davidservant.com/family_devotions/day_71

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/25/1942

On 8/11/2016 at 10:53 AM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

But the apostles had some measure of the Holy Spirit because they were casting out demons in Jesus name.  Jesus had given His disciples authority to cast out demons (see Matthew 10:1; Mark 3:14-15; Luke 9:1).  They just lacked complete faith which would come after Jesus' resurrection, ascension and the Holy Spirit coming to them in the Upper Room.

Source: http://www.davidservant.com/family_devotions/day_71

To be CLEAR - the apostles had the Holy Spirit ON them by specific impartation by Jesus. NOBODY had the Holy SpPirit INDWELLING them as it would be when it was possible for them to be "BORN AGAIN" after the Ressurection.  Jesus ministered the SPirit to them the evening of the ressurection - recorded in John 20:22.

• 2 months later...

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84

O'h, he backslid all right many times, he was far from perfect, but thankfully he repented and was forgiven.

This alone proves he backslid.

Peter lied three times denying Jesus, He even cursed and swore saying "I KNOW NOT THE MAN"

Matthew 26:69, Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.
    70, But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest.
    71, And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and said unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth.
    72, And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man.
    73, And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth thee.
    74, Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,533
  • Content Per Day:  0.56

20 hours ago, HAZARD said:

O'h, he backslid all right many times, he was far from perfect, but thankfully he repented and was forgiven.

This alone proves he backslid.

Peter lied three times denying Jesus, He even cursed and swore saying "I KNOW NOT THE MAN"

Matthew 26:69, Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.
    70, But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest.
    71, And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and said unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth.
    72, And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man.
    73, And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth thee.
    74, Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.

Underline: Eph 1:13 believed past tense

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Eph 1:13-14 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession--to the praise of his glory.

• This is Worthy 1