douggg

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,143
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  1

The fig tree in the parable of the fig tree in Matthew 24 is referring to Jerusalem.     As Jesus and the disciples were about to enter Jerusalem, Jesus cursed the fig tree for not bering fruit, but it was not the season as also being meaningful.     Jesus knowing that generation of Jews would reject him as their messiah, and the kingdom of God was consequently taken from that generation of Jews to be give to another generation of Jews will will bear fruit, because it will be the season when the kingdom is restored to Israel (Acts 1:7).

Israel the nation could in theory have been the fig tree but failed the test of all things prophesied in Matthew 24:15-31 coming to be fulfilled before that generation passes away.

1948 + 70 years for a generation = 2018    minus the seven years for the start of the last week of the 70 weeks, should have been in May 2011 at the latest of the Antichrist confirmed the covenant.     May 2011 came and went, no Antichrist confirming the covenant.   So Israel is not the fig tree.

Taking the same criteria for 1967 when Jerusalem again became in the hands of the Jews, we get....

1967 + 70 years for a generation = 2037    minus the seven years for the start of the last week of the 70 weeks, no later to start than 2030.  

Edited by douggg

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

8 minutes ago, douggg said:

The fig tree in the parable of the fig tree in Matthew 24 is referring to Jerusalem.     As Jesus and the disciples were about to enter Jerusalem, Jesus cursed the fig tree for not bering fruit, but it was not the season as also being meaningful.     Jesus knowing that generation of Jews would reject him as their messiah, and the kingdom of God was consequently taken from that generation of Jews to be give to another generation of Jews will will bear fruit, because it will be the season when the kingdom is restored to Israel (Acts 1:7).

Israel the nation could in theory have been the fig tree but failed the test of all things prophesied in Matthew 24:15-31 before that generation passes away.

1948 + 70 years for a generation = 2018    minus the seven years for the start of the last week of the 70 weeks, should have been in May 2011 at the latest of the Antichrist confirmed the covenant.     May 2011 came and went, no Antichrist confirming the covenant.   So Israel is not the fig tree.

Taking the same criteria for 1967 when Jerusalem again became in the hands of the Jews, we get....

1967 + 70 years for a generation = 2037    minus the seven years for the start of the last week of the 70 weeks, no later to start than May 2030.  

My two pennies in here are:

Israel is the fig tree became a nation again in 1948 and I believe we are living in the generation who will also see the the return of Jesus.

But the question is how long is a generation?

32“Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33Even so, when you see all these things, you know that ite is near, right at the door. 34Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

13 minutes ago, angels4u said:

My two pennies in here are:

Israel is the fig tree became a nation again in 1948 and I believe we are living in the generation who will also see the the return of Jesus.

But the question is how long is a generation?

32“Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33Even so, when you see all these things, you know that ite is near, right at the door. 34Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

You are right about we being the generation that will see Jesus return, but not on the basis of the fig tree being Israel.

The three score and ten in Psalms 90.   King David passed away when he was 70 years old.

Here the fig tree is identified as Jerusalem...

Mark 11:

11 And Jesus entered into Jerusalem, and into the temple: and when he had looked round about upon all things, and now the eventide was come, he went out unto Bethany with the twelve.

12 And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:

13 And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.

14 And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.

15 And they come to Jerusalem: and Jesus went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves

The Kingdom of God was taken from that generation of Jews and Jerusalem, from becoming the ruling kingdom here on earth.    

Edited by douggg

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

41 minutes ago, angels4u said:

Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened

"This generation" can also mean "this nation" (see Strong's Concordance),  and fits this prophecy quite well.  Between 70 AD and 1948 AD it appeared as though the nation of Israel was extinct.  But this nation (albeit in unbelief) came into existence in the 20th century, and God has had His hand over Israel in spite of their unbelief.

7 minutes ago, Ezra said:

"This generation" can also mean "this nation" (see Strong's Concordance),  and fits this prophecy quite well.  Between 70 AD and 1948 AD it appeared as though the nation of Israel was extinct.  But this nation (albeit in unbelief) came into existence in the 20th century, and God has had His hand over Israel in spite of their unbelief.

Well, it would not make much sense for the generation to be the nation of Israel.   Because the nation of Israel is not going to pass away ever again.

But a generation of people - yes, we have limits on us.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

20 minutes ago, douggg said:

Well, it would not make much sense for the generation to be the nation of Israel.   Because the nation of Israel is not going to pass away ever again.

But a generation of people - yes, we have limits on us.

The present nation-state of Israel is secular, and has rejected the Messiah.  The Orthodox Jews living in Israel have also rejected Jesus of Nazareth.

But when Christ replaces it with His own restored kingdom of Israel, established between the Nile and the Euphrates (according to the Abrahamic Covenant), then every Jew will be a believing Jew in that kingdom, and the ones who do not believe will be excluded. In other words secular Zionist Israel will cease to exist, but will be replaced by a godly  Israel as noted in Ezekiel and other prophecies.

4 hours ago, Ezra said:

The present nation-state of Israel is secular, and has rejected the Messiah.  The Orthodox Jews living in Israel have also rejected Jesus of Nazareth.

But when Christ replaces it with His own restored kingdom of Israel, established between the Nile and the Euphrates (according to the Abrahamic Covenant), then every Jew will be a believing Jew in that kingdom, and the ones who do not believe will be excluded. In other words secular Zionist Israel will cease to exist, but will be replaced by a godly  Israel as noted in Ezekiel and other prophecies.

What bible verse are you referring to that contains "Zionist Israel" as opposed to "godly Israel" ?    It seems to me in verse 6 below, Zion is held in high esteem by God.

Psalms 2

1 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?

2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,

3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.

6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

Edited by douggg

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,038
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

I understand that many people relate the fig tree with the nation of Israel, can you explain why? ...and give other scriptural witness to this typology?

Also, and of course, though they are nowhere near as important as two or three sound scriptural witnesses, but do you know any commentators that hold to this understanding? It would be preferable if anyone has some references of someone not living today… since we know in the latter times men won’t endure sound doctrine.

2 hours ago, BlindSeeker said:

I understand that many people relate the fig tree with the nation of Israel, can you explain why? ...and give other scriptural witness to this typology?

Also, and of course, though they are nowhere near as important as two or three sound scriptural witnesses, but do you know any commentators that hold to this understanding? It would be preferable if anyone has some references of someone not living today… since we know in the latter times men won’t endure sound doctrine.

I can't speak for all persons holding that Israel is the fig tree,  but back in the 1970's Jack Van Impe reasoned that Israel was the fig tree because of this verse in Joel 1:

6For a nation is come up upon my land, strong, and without number, whose teeth are the teeth of a lion, and he hath the cheek teeth of a great lion.

7He hath laid my vine waste, and barked my fig tree: he hath made it clean bare, and cast it away; the branches thereof are made white.

Well, that is from my own experience, as back to when I first became a Christian and spent all of my free time in studying endtimes bible prophecy while living in the army barracks, back in 1973, for two years.   I didn't stop when I left the army, and it's been 43 years since I first started; so that is one reason why I am so set in my position on these matters, and 10,000's of posts at discussion boards, Christian, Jewish (Judaism), and muslim, learning about all the various beliefs people have - and the reasons for so much error.    Plus untold numbers of videos and books and sermons by countless commentators.    I have committed my whole life to when I will no longer be in this life, which God pre-ordained me, not of my own doing, to be knowledgeable where many aren't, over the course of a long long love, which is why my favorite bible verse

is Matthew 28: 18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

It makes me so happy, for me, and see it for Him, the one who I have walked with and has held me tight, which is my daily and constant prayer, for what Jesus has done for me.   Which I will lay my crown at His feet.

Back to the fig tree, and some thinking it is Israel.   The rationale sounded good at the time, but has proven wrong because the math works out that using May, 1948 as a base date (when Israel became a nation again), and 70 years for a generation - the 7 years would have to had begun no later than May, 2011.     Didn't happen.

The only viable combination left is the 1967 base date (Jerusalem as the fig tree) plus 70 years for a generation.    Which the math works out that the 7 years must begin before the end of 2030.    Anytime before then.

Even with 40 years as a generation (which some people misfigure based on Israel in the desert for 40 years) plus the 1967 base date does not work out - because 1967 + 40 =  2007  minus the 7 years = the year 2000, no later than.    Obviously a fail.

Jesus is coming and his reward is with Him.

Edited by douggg

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

Hi Doug

The 70 weeks is fulfilled, which is why you are out.

Looking at it, around 2018 would be when the punishment will start.  Then Jerusalem will be trodden on by the gentiles for 3 1/2 yrs.

Jeremiah 25:29   For, lo, I begin to bring evil on the city which is called by my name, and should ye be utterly unpunished? Ye shall not be unpunished: for I will call for a sword upon all the inhabitants of the earth, saith the LORD of hosts.

God will use the Northern army to punish Babylon, ....starting with Jerusalem then spreading out his wrath to the whole world.

Jeremiah 4:6   Set up the standard toward Zion: retire, stay not: for I will bring evil from the north, and a great destruction.

Jeremiah 6:1   O ye children of Benjamin, gather yourselves to flee out of the midst of Jerusalem, and blow the trumpet in Tekoa, and set up a sign of fire in Bethhaccerem:
for evil appeareth out of the north, and great destruction.

Jeremiah 47:2   Thus saith the LORD; Behold, waters rise up out of the north, and shall be an overflowing flood, and shall overflow the land, and all that is therein; the city, and them that dwell therein: then the men shall cry, and all the inhabitants of the land shall howl.

Jeremiah 50:3   For
out of the north there cometh up a nation against her, which shall make her land desolate, and none shall dwell therein: they shall remove, they shall depart, both man and beast.

Jeremiah 50:41   Behold, a people shall come from the north, and a great nation, and many kings shall be raised up from the coasts of the earth.