IGNORED

What do you think of Christians getting tattoos?

rethinknow

Guest Butero
10 minutes ago, coheir said:

Acts  21:25

As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

does  this verse cover tattoos

This is often misused to defend sin.  If you take this to it's logical conclusion the way you are using it, I could murder someone because it is not on that list.  In the same passage, it is mentioned that Moses is taught in the synagogue each Sabbath day, so the feeling was that they didn't need to spend all their time teaching the law to the gentiles.  It wasn't giving an all inclusive list.  I stand by what I said about tattoos. 

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 6/13/2016 at 5:20 PM, Sovran Grace Baptist said:

Wow. I guess Paul, Peter, John Baptist, James, Jude and Jesus Christ were far too legalistic to heap upon to Ezek. 11, 36 or Jeremias 31 concerning the new covenant and testament. The law says, Lev. 19.28, "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord", Authorized King James Bible.

:sherlock:

Wow~!
Brother I Guess
Your Barber Must Be So Proud

Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard. Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:27-28 (King James Bible)

Of Your Righteous Hairdo

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.  Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
Romans 3:23-28 (King James Bible)

~

Beloved Have You Ever Considered The Goats
And The Sheep....

When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Matthew 25:31-34 (King James Bible)

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (King James Bible)

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal. Psalms 119:160 (New International Version)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Inside Of My Gideon New Testament

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 6/7/2016 at 0:32 PM, Butero said:

But to simply ignore God's standards and sin so grace may abound is not right either....
We are not saved by keeping the law, but we are to be led of the Holy Spirit....
and God's Spirit would not lead us to do things God does not approve of....

Galatians says that if we are led of the Spirit, we are not under the law....
I do not believe for one second God would ever lead anyone to get a tattoo....

:sherlock:

Some Folks Really Are Missionaries

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. Mark 16:15-16

And Do Not Bow To The Flesh

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. John 6:63

Others, Not So Much

For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love. Galatians 5:6

~

It Seems To Me That Some Dear Folk Will Pick And Highlight 

And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear: Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 1 Peter 1:17-19

What Sin They Choose To Make Up Or Post Up

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. Romans 3:19-20

To Drive Any Needy Seekers Away

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
Romans 3:23-26

From Jesus

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

For

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Without Faith

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6

One Is Surely Done

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? John 11:25-26

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

On 7/16/2016 at 10:08 PM, Butero said:

It is not a question of strength or weakness.  It is the way it is.  I don't agree with Teditis.  I believe the prohibition on tattoos is a moral law, but there is no use arguing with him over something like because there is no way I can convince him.  Only God can do that. 

If you are correct, then having a tattoo is a violation of a  moral law no different than adultery or homoseuxalty. And if this is the case then nobody with a tattoo would be allowed into heaven as they sin continuously every day they keep the tattoo on their body.  

It would also exclude many cultures from Christianity as tattoos have been part of cultural expression.

God doesn't do that... legalism and ultra-religiosity does though. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

On 7/16/2016 at 10:47 PM, Butero said:

This is often misused to defend sin.  If you take this to it's logical conclusion the way you are using it, I could murder someone because it is not on that list.  In the same passage, it is mentioned that Moses is taught in the synagogue each Sabbath day, so the feeling was that they didn't need to spend all their time teaching the law to the gentiles.  It wasn't giving an all inclusive list.  I stand by what I said about tattoos. 

I see your point. let me say tatoos and cuttings of the body are shunned only if used for the dead.

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  216
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Well, as Jesus will have a tattoo when He returns, I do not see the problem with them.

Rev 19:16  And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "Did Jesus have a tattoo (Revelation 19:16)?"

Answer:
In John’s vision of the Battle of Armageddon, he sees Jesus riding from heaven on a white horse, waging war against the beast’s evil forces. Revelation 19:16 includes this description of Jesus: “On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: king of kings and lord of lords.” Some people have read this verse and concluded that Jesus has a tattoo on His thigh—and, therefore, tattoos are good and proper for all followers of Christ today.

However, Jesus was, and is, a Jew. The Jewish Law warns, “Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28). Jesus, as an obedient Jew, bound by Mosaic Law, would not take a tattoo. Jesus came to Earth to fulfill the Mosaic Law, not violate it (Matthew 5:17).

So then, what does it mean that on Jesus’ robe and on His thigh He has “King of Kings and Lord of Lords” written?

The book of Revelation is filled with symbolism, and the description in Revelation 19:16 is symbolic. In the same passage, Jesus’ eyes are said to be “like blazing fire” (verse 12), His robe is soaked in blood (verse 13), and there’s a sword coming out of His mouth (verse 15). Obviously, none of these descriptions are literal; the name written on Jesus’ thigh is probably figurative, too. The mention of the name being written on His robe and His thigh could very well mean that the words were not on His skin at all; rather, they were written on the part of His robe that covered His thigh.

In ancient times, a king or noble would often have his title or honorific woven into his garments and engraved upon his blade, its hilt, or its scabbard. Given that the scabbard would hang from a band at the waist, the words on the scabbard would fall at roughly thigh level. This would be a reasonable explanation, given that Jesus would never violate Levitical law by taking a tattoo.

Another possibility is that Christ is pictured as wearing a banner, or a sash, which extends from shoulder to thigh, and it is on this banner that “King of Kings and Lord of Lords” is written.

In any case, it does not seem that Jesus has an actual tattoo. The best way to confirm the truth of the matter is to be with Jesus when He returns to wage war upon those who have taken the mark of the beast. You can see for yourself. Please read our Got Eternal Life page and see how to be saved and receive eternal life.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-tattoo.html

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  216
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

Question: "Did Jesus have a tattoo (Revelation 19:16)?"

Answer:
In John’s vision of the Battle of Armageddon, he sees Jesus riding from heaven on a white horse, waging war against the beast’s evil forces. Revelation 19:16 includes this description of Jesus: “On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: king of kings and lord of lords.” Some people have read this verse and concluded that Jesus has a tattoo on His thigh—and, therefore, tattoos are good and proper for all followers of Christ today.

However, Jesus was, and is, a Jew. The Jewish Law warns, “Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28). Jesus, as an obedient Jew, bound by Mosaic Law, would not take a tattoo. Jesus came to Earth to fulfill the Mosaic Law, not violate it (Matthew 5:17).

So then, what does it mean that on Jesus’ robe and on His thigh He has “King of Kings and Lord of Lords” written?

The book of Revelation is filled with symbolism, and the description in Revelation 19:16 is symbolic. In the same passage, Jesus’ eyes are said to be “like blazing fire” (verse 12), His robe is soaked in blood (verse 13), and there’s a sword coming out of His mouth (verse 15). Obviously, none of these descriptions are literal; the name written on Jesus’ thigh is probably figurative, too. The mention of the name being written on His robe and His thigh could very well mean that the words were not on His skin at all; rather, they were written on the part of His robe that covered His thigh.

In ancient times, a king or noble would often have his title or honorific woven into his garments and engraved upon his blade, its hilt, or its scabbard. Given that the scabbard would hang from a band at the waist, the words on the scabbard would fall at roughly thigh level. This would be a reasonable explanation, given that Jesus would never violate Levitical law by taking a tattoo.

Another possibility is that Christ is pictured as wearing a banner, or a sash, which extends from shoulder to thigh, and it is on this banner that “King of Kings and Lord of Lords” is written.

In any case, it does not seem that Jesus has an actual tattoo. The best way to confirm the truth of the matter is to be with Jesus when He returns to wage war upon those who have taken the mark of the beast. You can see for yourself. Please read our Got Eternal Life page and see how to be saved and receive eternal life.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-tattoo.html

Gotquestions is neither the Word nor the final authority on the Word. You seem like an intelligent well versed person, why not give your own thoughts on matters? True, it would open you to being disagreed with from time to time but the Holy Spirit lives inside you as well. Why not trust Him instead of someone else's opinion. Not an attack, just a thought.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Just now, Flsnookman said:

Gotquestions is neither the Word nor the final authority on the Word. You seem like an intelligent well versed person, why not give your own thoughts on matters? True, it would open you to being disagreed with from time to time but the Holy Spirit lives inside you as well. Why not trust Him instead of someone else's opinion. Not an attack, just a thought.

Are my opinions more important than God's Word? Got Questions is a reliable Christian ministry. They post God's Word in a literal sense which is what God has intended for us.They also use excellent hermeneutics which many on Worthy need to learn. Jesus read the Holy Bible literally. What shouldn't we? With all of the false doctrine and teaching on Worthy I think it is important for members to have their eyes and minds digest the TRUTH.If they do not want to do that I guess the choice is up to them. You can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink.