• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

I'd like some clarification/explanation on what precisely is the difference between Messianic Judaism and Evangelical Christianity?

I'd prefer descriptive rather normative answers. Thank you

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/30/1968

I have known several Messianic Jews; some even attend my church. I do not know of any defined doctrine that is held by Jews who accept Christ. In my experience they are just Christian. There are a few Messianic congregations but I have never attended a service there. 

I will say that many aspects of Judaism in America are more cultural than spiritual. I know several Reform Jews that do not even believe in God, but they call themselves Jews and they honor their Jewish traditions. Depending on the person and how they were raised, some people continue to follow the Jewish traditions after becoming Christian. They observe the holy days and have Seder every week. I actually enjoy attending Passover Seder and some of the other traditional Jewish celebrations. It is very informative and its part of our heritage as Christians.

I see. thank u john

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

On 5/28/2016 at 11:01 PM, SIC said:

I'd like some clarification/explanation on what precisely is the difference between Messianic Judaism and Evangelical Christianity?

I'd prefer descriptive rather normative answers. Thank you

Messianic Jews want to hold on to their Jewishness and the Old Covenant while believing on the Lord Jesus Christ. On the other hand, the New Testament reveals that during the Church Age there is no distinction between Jew and Gentile, and many of the commandments in the Old Covenant are null and void.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Paul said he became all things to all people--to the Jews he be came a Jew, to the gentiles he became a gentile, so that some might be saved.

1Co 9:19 NKJV For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more;

1Co 9:20  and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law;

1Co 9:21  to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who arewithout law;

1Co 9:22  to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men,that I might by all means save some.

So many Messianic Christians have said that the observe Jewish traditions because they are trying to share the Gospel with Jews and win them to Jesus as their Messiah..  Jesus was Jewish and observed Jewish traditions as did the early church in Jerusalem.  They decided that those who are not Jewish do not have to become Jews to become Christians.  But to win those who are under the law they became like them so as not offend them;  so that is what some Messianic Jews have stated here as well.   

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  562
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

This is a Jew: Acts 9:1,2 "Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples. He went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to the Way, whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem."

This is a Messianic Jew: Romans 9:3 "For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my people, those of my own race"

This is a Christian: Acts 13:46 "Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: “We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles." 

And this is a Christian: Galatians 3:28 "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female—for all of you are one in Christ Jesus."

So Ogner are you saying one can be a messianic Jew and a Christian all at the same time?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  562
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

8 hours ago, SIC said:

So Ogner are you saying one can be a messianic Jew and a Christian all at the same time?

No, on the contrary.

Matthew 6:24, "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to one, and despise the other." 

Paul tried, but it didn't go too well. In the end, He became Christian. And He were cut off from the Jewish people.

So let me get this right.. You are basically saying "One cannot be a Messianic Jew and a Christian at the same time.. One has to choose between the two." Is that right Ogner?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

35 minutes ago, SIC said:

So let me get this right.. You are basically saying "One cannot be a Messianic Jew and a Christian at the same time.. One has to choose between the two." Is that right Ogner?

The term Messianic Jew, means a Jewish person who believes in Jesus/Yeshua the Messiah.

A Christian is a person (Jew or Gentile) who believes in Jesus the Christ.

Christ is based on the Greek term, Christos. Christos means Annointed One.

Messiah is based on the Hebrew term, Moshiach. Moshiach means Annointed One.

So, Messianic Judaism is based on the Jewish culture, and is evangelistic to the Jewish people.

Christianity is mainly Gentile in culture. Very few Christian churches have any effort to share the gospel with the Jewish people. Those Christian churches who have a desire to see the Jewish people come to the Messiah, partner in some way with a Jewish mission organization.