writing off people

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

there is also in the Bible instruction to separate yourself from brothers and sisters who are caught in sin and refuse to repent of it after you have exhausted attempts to correct them and intercede for them. i think this should be looked at a little differently, because they are God's own, even if their sin separates them from the body. the Bible talks about 'handing them over to Satan' so their body may be destroyed, but the soul saved. i think also that we should obey the advice of the apostles, and aside from courtesy and decorum, separate ourselves from them. and also that we should earnestly pray for them, that God may work in them to purify them and that they would submit themselves to God's own rebuke. 
but the difference here is that we should be all the more ready to embrace them, ready to forgive them and welcome them back into fellowship, seriously wishing and hoping for this - because they are our family, sons and daughters of our Father. like the father in the parable of the prodigal son, we should be in our hearts waiting, watching the road for them to return, with the faith that God is faithful to work in their lives and bring them back into the light. 

does that make sense? 
             posted by post

It makes perfect sense,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,absolutely!

This is an excellent Topic & I think you nailed it ,post,,,,,especially in your opening sentence,,,,,

some people have this weird, worldly idea of another Jesus that blindly accepts & embraces everyone no matter what they do or say or teach. this isn't the real Jesus

What is the first thing you(a Christian) hear when you say ANYTHING someone does not want to hear,"What kind of a Christian are you?" OR the classic" Is that what Jesus would do?" etc,,,etc,,,,    Well,it is the same ole enemy with the same ole feeble tactics to make you question what we know & we know,what we know,what we know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Gods Truth,,,,,

People with "ulterior motives" or "an agenda" are influenced by the adversary,unbelievers & believers as well,,,,,,,,,,the thought pops in their little heads & out plops some divisive words,or passive aggressive,or phony  or anything  that is not something we should be entertaining,,,,,,their actions & words are not Godly ,,,,,,,pussy foot around them? No not at all,kick the dust off your shoes & go about our Fathers Business    & YES YES YES,,,,,love them & be ready ,willing & thrilled to embrace them back to the fold if they change their ways,,,,,all the while,praying for them,.....

Personally,I am not looking to win a popularity contest & I do my best to say what "I am lead to say,by the Holy Spirit"as diplomatically & gently as it is possible,it is not always possible,,,,,,,,,,,,,but Jesus DID NOT & DOES NOT tip toe or pussy foot around anyone,,,,,that is not the JESUS I know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do what must be done ,obedient to the Will of God                             With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

Basically, there is a common PC way of dealing with writing someone off . . . . .  "I wouldn't touch that with a 10-foot pole"!    If a person is toxic, then it is best to keep a distance.  Writing a person off does not necessarily close the book on them.  There remains the possibility of opening a new chapter at any time.  Stand firm with Jesus and lead by example. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

On 5/28/2016 at 1:40 PM, creativemechanic said:

How would u say would be the christian like way to deal with people u realise aren't good for u. By that I mean, I used to be the type who'd try to be friends with people and win them over despite obvious signs  that they don't like or appreciate me-eg remarks,insults, treatment, one sided relationships etc.

Now.I've matured and learned wherein if I realise someone doesn't share the same level of appreciation as I do.I write them off mentally.so while I'll be polite I won't have anything to do with them-most I'll say is hi bye,morning.evening, talk on relevant matters.not try to contact etc. Would u say that is the christianlike way of doing it?

If a person is not good for you and makes you stumble and fall in your walk with God then back off. The world is full of toxic people. There is enough grief in life without having to befriend these people.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

On 5/28/2016 at 4:40 PM, creativemechanic said:

How would u say would be the christian like way to deal with people u realise aren't good for u. By that I mean, I used to be the type who'd try to be friends with people and win them over despite obvious signs  that they don't like or appreciate me-eg remarks,insults, treatment, one sided relationships etc.

Now.I've matured and learned wherein if I realise someone doesn't share the same level of appreciation as I do.I write them off mentally.so while I'll be polite I won't have anything to do with them-most I'll say is hi bye,morning.evening, talk on relevant matters.not try to contact etc. Would u say that is the christianlike way of doing it?

Yes, I'd say this is a Christian way of doing it. It's never easy and it's something I hate to have to do. But I have had to do it and I'd guess it's something we all have had to do.