IGNORED

Why isn't the book of Maccabees included in the Bible?

Esther4:14

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  603
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

On 5/30/2016 at 3:39 AM, Jayne said:

Here is an example of one of the heresies taught in 2 Maccabbees 12.

Judas Maccabee - after losing some of his men in a military campaign - made a monetary offering for the dead and is praised for making sure that they were delivered from their sins.    If paying large amounts of money for the dead can SAVE the dead, then what happens to "without the shedding of blood, there can be no remission of sin"?

If you can be delivered from your sins AFTER you are dead by loved ones paying your way out of a purgatorial state - then why bother living a moral and Godly life?  Live as you please and have your family pay for your sins with silver after your death.

Hi Jayne, this is actually exactly why I find Maccabees so interesting, not because it is teaching something that is true, but because it is clearly teaching something that is false.  It sets up a whole new dynamic in considering the rebuke Jesus gave to the Pharisees.  

So, what Maccabees is saying is that the people rebelled against God again by praising an offering made to the dead.  Is it any wonder Jesus did not come to bring peace but a sword (Matthew 10:34).  

In particular, the praise given to Simon in 1 Maccabees 14 is interesting when considering what they expected of Christ.  Then, there is a mystery to consider.  Why didn't Christ assume the role that was expected of him.  

It says, " Therefore, the Jews and their priests are happy to have Simon and his descendants as their leaders and High Priests, until a true prophet appears," (1 Maccabees 14:41).  

Couldn't Jesus have fulfilled this expectation?  However, He didn't, which is a striking thing to consider and why I think Maccabees should be included for the purpose of further understanding the reason that Jesus did not seek to be included in the high places of government in the time He lived.  

• 8 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 5/30/2016 at 2:47 AM, Esther4:14 said:

So, I have been reading the book of Maccabees and for the life of me, I cannot understand why it isn't included in our Bible.  I am thoroughly struck by how profound the life of Christ was in the light of the book of 1 and 2 Maccabees.  

Dear sister Esther4: 14,

Grace and mercy and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Here are the heresies of the book of 2 Maccabees:

To begin with, 2 Maccabees is not the continuation of 1 Maccabees. It is a parallel account, full of legends and prodigies of Judas Maccabeus.

Furthermore, the book presents:

1ST Error: - prayer for the dead:

·        “and gave themselves to prayer, begging that the sin committed might be completely forgiven. Next, the valiant Judas urged the soldiers to keep themselves free from all sin, having seen with their own eyes the effects of the sin of those who had fallen;” (2Maccabbees 12.42).

This is contrary to what is shown in Luke 16:19-31. Notice how the rich man asked Abraham to help him. He asked him to send Lazarus to refresh his tongue. However, Abraham made it very clear that there was no possibility that anything could be done for him. You can be sure that if he had, he would have done.

CONTINUE ON THE NEXT POST...

On 5/30/2016 at 7:39 AM, Jayne said:

Here is an example of one of the heresies taught in 2 Maccabbees 12.

Judas Maccabee - after losing some of his men in a military campaign - made a monetary offering for the dead and is praised for making sure that they were delivered from their sins.    If paying large amounts of money for the dead can SAVE the dead, then what happens to "without the shedding of blood, there can be no remission of sin"?

If you can be delivered from your sins AFTER you are dead by loved ones paying your way out of a purgatorial state - then why bother living a moral and Godly life?  Live as you please and have your family pay for your sins with silver after your death.

I agree with sister Jayne. In this case, no rich man would go to the hell.

2nd Error: – Offering and worshiping for the forgiveness of sins:

·        “after this he took a collection from them individually, amounting to nearly two thousand drachmas, and sent it to Jerusalem to have a sacrifice for sin offered, an action altogether fine and noble, prompted by his belief in the resurrection. For had he not expected the fallen to rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead, whereas if he had in view the splendid recompense reserved for those who make a pious end, the thought was holy and devout. Hence, he had this expiatory sacrifice offered for the dead, so that they might be released from their sin.” (2Maccabbees 12.43-45).

Only the blood of Christ can redeem us from sin.

·        “But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.” (Ephesians 2.13).

·        “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?” (Hebrews 9.14).

·        “But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:” (1Peter 1.19).

CONTINUE ON THE NEXT POST....

On 5/30/2016 at 3:35 AM, The_Patriot2017 said:

In fact, maccabbees itself denies inspiration (maccabees 2:24-32

I agree with it.

3rd Error: – The author's concern is only with historical facts, which he admits that can there be mistakes.

In addition, his only purpose was pleasing the people (in particular, those who are unemployed, with nothing to do):

·        “So ends the episode of Nicanor, and as, since then, the city has remained in the possession of the Hebrews, I shall bring my own work to an end here too. If it is well composed and to the point, that is just what I wanted. If it is worthless and mediocre, that is all I could manage. Just as it is injurious to drink wine by itself, or again water alone, whereas wine mixed with water is pleasant and produces a delightful sense of well-being, so skill in presenting the incidents is what delights the understanding of those who read the book. And her i close.” (2Maccabees 15.37-39)

·        we have aimed at providing diversion for those who merely want something to read, a saving of labour for those who enjoy committing things to memory, and profit for each and all. For us who have undertaken the drudgery of this abridgement, it has been no easy task but a matter of sweat and midnight oil, comparable to the exacting task of someone organising a banquet, whose aim is to satisfy a variety of tastes. Nevertheless, for the sake of rendering a general service, we remain glad to endure this drudgery,” (2Maccabbees 2.25-27).

This is absurd! Aside from the Holy Scripture being infallible, it was never written by anyone's will, much less to entertain the people:

·        “Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” (1Peter 1.20,21).

·        “For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.” (Galatians 1.10-12).

·        “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2Timothy 3.16,17).

While it is true that we should delight in the presence of the Eternal (Psalm 37:4) and in His word (Psalms 1.1,2), may Jesus help us never make Holy Scripture a mere entertainment. May our true pleasure be to please the Eternal by receiving His teachings and ministering to the lives of those He places near us.