Google WiFi

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Wouldn't this put the cable companies out of business? Would you get it?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/09/technology/google-wifi/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_tech_pool

Google Fiber may soon be taking to the airwaves.

At Google parent company Alphabet's annual shareholders meeting on Wednesday, Chairman Eric Schmidt announced that Google is working on ultra-high-speed internet access that can be beamed directly to consumers' homes.

The new technology could allow Google (GOOGL, Tech30) to bypass the extremely high cost of directly connecting physical fiberoptic cables to households and businesses. That process is slow and often involves digging up customers' yards.

Fiberoptic cable connections are currently the only way internet service providers can give customers ultra-high speeds. Though 5G and other similar technologies have potential to deliver super-fast speeds over the air, it's still a long way off.

Google's ultra-fast Wi-Fi beaming technology is not quite ready for prime time yet, and Schmidt said the company isn't announcing any new services right now. But Schmidt said advancements in microchip technology have made it possible to deploy Google Fiber-like speeds over the airwaves at an affordable price.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

Love the idea!  I constantly gripe about the cost of high speed internet access and cable.  I'm paying over $160 a month right now.  I'll never get over being mad about it until something like this comes around.

3 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

Love the idea!  I constantly gripe about the cost of high speed internet access and cable.  I'm paying over $160 a month right now.  I'll never get over being mad about it until something like this comes around.

There are about three cable companies available in my part of Washington. I have had all three at one point or another. They are horrible. They are very expensive. I think they are a ripoff. There is only one cable company available here deep in the country where I live. They know that. They have you coming and going. No competition at all.

Guest shiloh357

I pay $135 a month and that is for premium cable (without movie channels) and high speed internet.  I would definitely take a better deal.  The company I use has a monopoly in this city.  I would like to see more competition.  Prices would go down.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

I dont know about how high speed that would be. Currently you can get internet via directv but its a one way thing only for high speed. The upload part is via phone. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

1 minute ago, ayin jade said:

I dont know about how high speed that would be. Currently you can get internet via directv but its a one way thing only for high speed. The upload part is via phone. 

I have 50 Mbps so I'm assuming it will be faster.  The fastest available is 100 Mbps as far as I know. 

2 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

I pay $135 a month and that is for premium cable (without movie channels) and high speed internet.  I would definitely take a better deal.  The company I use has a monopoly in this city.  I would like to see more competition.  Prices would go down.

That is what I think.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Wow, I had no clue! I have 50Mbps upload and download at $59.99 a month, and I thought THAT was expensive! However, that is just internet. On the other hand, just internet, handles all the intertainment and telecommunications I need, so i have no phone or TV sevices as such, if I added those, my cost would rise to $89.97.

When I was looking to move out of the city to a more rural area, my two requirements were, "Has to have a Lowes or a Home Depot" and High Speed Internet, anything less is to 'hick' for me!