• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  410
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

The crown of life is eternal life … the opposite of eternal death

James 1:12-16 • “Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been

approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those

who love Him … But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires

and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it

is full-grown, brings forth (eternal) death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren

Those who really love Jesus will be obedient and overcome sin!
Revelation 2:10-11“Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. 

He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.”

The second death refers to eternal death …

“Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.”

(Revelation 20:14)

“He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be

My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral,

sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns

with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:7-8)

The crown of life is also called the crown of righteousness

2 Timothy 4:7-8 • “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race,

I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness,

which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day,

and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.”

In the great tribulation of the antichrist,

keeping the faith (until the end of one’s life) is necessary for salvation …

“And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures (in his faith)

to the end (of his life) shall be saved.” (Mark 13:13, Matthew 10:22)

“But he who endures (in his faith) to the end (of his life) shall be saved.” (Matt 24:13)

Also see 1 Cor 16:13, Gal 5:1, Phil 4:1, Col 1:22-23, Heb 10:35-36, James 5:7-8, 1 Pet 5:9

And one’s righteousness must be obediently practiced (maintained) to keep it …

“… let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous” (1 John 3:7)

“… (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness” (Romans 6:16)

The crown of life is also called the imperishable crown

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 • “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run,

but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 

And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. 

Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown

Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 

But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached

to others, I myself should become disqualified (from salvation).”

More about running to win, without being disqualified …

“… lest by any means I might run, or had run, in vain.” (Galatians 2:2)

“… he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Timothy 2:5)

The crown of life is also called the crown of glory

1 Peter 5:1-4 • “… and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you (the faithful elders)

will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.”

“The believer who perseveres will receive the crown of life. The “crown of life”

is the crown of victory over sin, or the crown of victory in our life’s race.

The main meaning of the crown of life is salvation, or eternal life.”

… The Applied New Testament Commentary (Thomas Hale)

Dr. Hale, a Spirit-filled believer, served as a medical missionary in Nepal.

Important …

Please notice that there are NO crowns (plural) mentioned anywhere above!

No different crowns of varying values … re: rewards.

When it comes to the crown of eternal life, there is only one!

One crown of eternal life to each successful “runner” who overcomes sin, and etc.

Regarding the necessity of being an overcomer …

please see Rev 2:10-11 and Rev 21:7-8 above (and also Rev 3:5).

And please note Jesus’ definition of who an overcomer is … in Rev 3:21.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  410
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe I'll be banned from this topic also.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

o

The Bible speaks of five crowns that will be given. Remember, these crowns are not for salvation.  These crowns are rewards for the works done in the body. They are also not crowns of rulers, as indicated by the use of the Greek word “stephanos.” A stephanos was a crown of victory awarded in ancient athletic games  (e.g. the Greek olympics).  For the Greeks the crown was a braided wreath, made of leaves from a wild olive tree.  In the Pythian games, the crowns were of laurel leaves; in the Nemean games, they were made of parsley and in the Isthmian games, of pine. 

When Christ returns, He will wear  not wear a “stephanos.”  He will wear a “diadem”—the crown of a ruling, sovereign monarch (Revelation 19:12). 

Five Crowns Promised to Believers

The Incorruptible Crown / The Victor’s Crown

1 Corinthians 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

Crown of Rejoicing / The Soul Winners Crown

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming? For ye are our glory and joy.

Crown Of Righteousness:

2 Timothy 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. 

Crown Of Glory / Crown For Service:

1 Peter 5:2-4 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; Neither as being lords over God’s heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

Crown Of Life:

James 1:12  Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

Revelation 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

https://reasonsforhopejesus.com/what-crowns-will-believers-receive/

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

The purpose of these trials and temptations is to prove our faith and see if we will turn against God or draw closer to Him.  Those who lean upon God for help in times of trial will pass the test.  Those who fall away from God into sin, or who complain against God when bad stuff happens to them and blame Him or become embittered toward God will not pass the test.  

Our faith is credited to us as righteousness.  No one has to be "good enough" to go to heaven.   Rom 4:5 ESV  And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,  All we have to do is remain faithful to God.  

1Pe 1:3  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,  4  to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,  5  who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1Pe 1:6  In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials  7  that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,  8  whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,  9  receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls.

Php 3:9  and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own, that which is of the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;  10  that I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, becoming conformed to his death;  11  if by any means I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.   12  Not that I have already obtained, or am already made perfect; but I press on, that I may take hold of that for which also I was taken hold of by Christ Jesus.

Our righteousness is purely a gift from God through our faith that He raise Christ from the dead.  Even Paul admits that he is not already perfect, but he continues to remain faithful to Christ so that he may be perfected when his soul goes to heaven.  Yes we are being changed as we are washed by reading God's Word.  He changes our attitudes and more Christ like actions result from this.  

Rom 12:2  WEB Don’t be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, well-pleasing, and perfect will of God.

Eph 5:25b as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,  26  that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,  27  so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.

Yes we are to put off our old self and its filthy habits, and consider him to be dead, buried with Christ.  We are to put on the new man with the mind of Christ and view the world like He does as lost and in need of God's love and forgiveness.  Rom 13:14  But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.  Gal 5:16 WEB But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you won’t fulfill the lust of the flesh.  Gal 5:18  But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.  

Our faith is credited to us as righteousness.  No one has to be "good enough" to go to heaven.   Rom 4:5 ESV  And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,  All we have to do is remain faithful to God.  

posted by Willa

Amen! Oh how beautiful is the Word of God,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Praise Jesus!                           With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What are the five heavenly crowns that believers can receive in Heaven?"

Answer:
There are five heavenly crowns mentioned in the New Testament that will be awarded to believers. They are the imperishable crown, the crown of rejoicing, the crown of righteousness, the crown of glory, and the crown of life. The Greek word translated “crown” is stephanos (the source for the name Stephen the martyr) and means “a badge of royalty, a prize in the public games or a symbol of honor generally.” Used during the ancient Greek games, it referred to a wreath or garland of leaves placed on a victor’s head as a reward for winning an athletic contest. As such, this word is used figuratively in the New Testament of the rewards of heaven God promises those who are faithful. Paul’s passage in 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 best defines for us how these crowns are awarded.

1) The Imperishable Crown – (1 Corinthians 9:24-25) “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate [disciplined] in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown” (NKJV). All things on this earth are subject to decay and will perish. Jesus urges us to not store our treasures on earth “where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal” (Matthew 6:19). This is analogous to what Paul was saying about that wreath of leaves that was soon to turn brittle and fall apart. But not so the heavenly crown; faithful endurance wins a heavenly reward which is “an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you” (1 Peter 1:3-5).

2) The Crown of Rejoicing – (1 Thessalonians 2:19) “For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming?” The apostle Paul tells us in Philippians 4:4 to “rejoice always in the Lord” for all the bountiful blessings our gracious God has showered upon us. As Christians we have more in this life to rejoice about than anyone else. Luke tells us there is rejoicing even now in heaven (Luke 15:7). The crown of rejoicing will be our reward where “God will wipe away every tear . . . there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away” (Revelation 21:4).

3) The Crown of Righteousness – (2 Timothy 4:8) “Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.” We inherit this crown through the righteousness of Christ which is what gives us a right to it, and without which it cannot be obtained. Because it is obtained and possessed in a righteous way, and not by force and deceit as earthly crowns sometimes are, it is an everlasting crown, promised to all who love the Lord and eagerly wait for His return. Through our enduring the discouragements, persecutions, sufferings, or even death, we know assuredly our reward is with Christ in eternity (Philippians 3:20). This crown is not for those who depend upon their own sense of righteousness or of their own works. Such an attitude breeds only arrogance and pride, not a longing, a fervent desire to be with the Lord.

4) The Crown of Glory – (1 Peter 5:4) “And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.” Though Peter is addressing the elders, we must also remember that the crown will be awarded to all those who long for or love His appearing. This word “glory” is an interesting word referring to the very nature of God and His actions. It entails His great splendor and brightness. Recall Stephen who, while being stoned to death, was able to look into the heavens and see the glory of God (Acts 7:55-56). This word also means that the praise and honor we bestow to God alone is due Him because of who He is (Isaiah 42:8, 48:11; Galatians 1:5). It also recognizes that believers are incredibly blessed to enter into the kingdom, into the very likeness of Christ Himself. For as Paul so eloquently put it, “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us” (Romans 8:18 NKJV).

5) The Crown of Life – (Revelation 2:10) “Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.” This crown is for all believers, but is especially dear to those who endure sufferings, who bravely confront persecution for Jesus, even to the point of death. In Scripture the word “life” is often used to show a relationship that is right with God. It was Jesus who said, “I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly” (John 10:10). Just as things such as air, food, and water are vital for our physical lives, Jesus provides us what is required for our spiritual lives. He is the One who provides “living water.” He is the “bread of life” (John 4:10, 6:35). We know that our earthly lives will end. But we have the amazing promise that comes only to those who come to God through Jesus: “And this is the promise that He has promised us—eternal life” (1 John 2:25).

James tells us that this crown of life is for all those who love God (James 1:12). The question then is how do we demonstrate our love for God? The apostle John answers this for us: “For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3). As His children we must keep His commandments, obeying Him, always remaining faithful. So, as we endure the inevitable trials, pains, heartaches, and tribulations—as long as we live—may we ever move forward, always “looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith” (Hebrews 12:2) and receive the crown of life that awaits us.

http://www.gotquestions.org/heavenly-crowns.html

Blessings Peeps,,,,

Isn't that almost exactly what I just posted? I guess it is good to re-enforce the fact that it is by Jesus Finished Work on the Cross that we Receive the Gift of Grace    And that by our Faith we produce good works or bear good fruit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,With love-in Christ,Kwik

21 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Peeps,,,,

Isn't that almost exactly what I just posted? I guess it is good to re-enforce the fact that it is by Jesus Finished Work on the Cross that we Receive the Gift of Grace    And that by our Faith we produce good works or bear good fruit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,With love-in Christ,Kwik

Yes,it is always good to re-enforce the fact that we will receive these great gifts. Just a little different perspective. Are crowns the only reward in heaven? I think there will be more that we are not aware of but that is only my speculation.

1 Corinthians 3:12-15

12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

A different kind of reward?

Question: "Why is God going to give us a white stone with a new name (Revelation 2:17)?"

Answer:
In the Bible, there is only one reference to God giving us a white stone with a new name: “To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it” (Revelation 2:17).

The meaning of the white stone is a mystery to Bible scholars. However, several interpretations have been offered:

• In ancient Greece, jury members would cast a white stone to signify an acquittal, whereas a black stone proclaimed the defendant guilty. The weakness of this interpretation is that the stones cast in the courts did not have names inscribed on them.

• A small object called a “tessera,” made of wood, stone, clay or bone, conveyed special privileges to its owner. The ancient Romans used tesserae as tokens of admittance to events in the arena. However, tesserae did not have to be white, and the durability of the materials used is questionable.

• A white stone was often used as an amulet or charm. However, this custom was associated with sorcery, so it would be odd if the Bible used it as a symbol of salvation.

• Another interpretation has to do with the building material used during the time John wrote Revelation. Important buildings were commonly made of white marble, including the temple of Asclepius in Pergamum (the city of the church Jesus is addressing in Revelation 2:17). In front of the temple were white marble pillars engraved with the names of people supposedly healed by the god. One problem with this interpretation is that the Greek word used in this verse, psephon properly means “pebble,” not “stone.”

• One of the better-accepted explanations of the white stone has to do with the high priest’s breastplate, which contained twelve stones. Each of these stones had the name of one of the twelve tribes of Israel engraved on it (Exodus 28:21). As he ministered in the temple, the high priest bore the names of God’s people into God’s presence. In the same way, the “white stone” with the believer’s name written on it could be a reference to our standing in God’s presence.

• Another widely held explanation suggests that the white stone may be a translucent precious stone such as a diamond. The word translated “white” in Revelation 2:17 is leukos and can also mean “brilliant, bright.” This interpretation holds that on the stone is written the name of Christ, not the name of the believer. Revelation mentions that the name of Christ is written on the foreheads of the saints (Revelation 3:12; Revelation 14:1, and Revelation 14:20).

The best theory regarding the meaning of the white stone probably has to do with the ancient Roman custom of awarding white stones to the victors of athletic games. The winner of a contest was awarded a white stone with his name inscribed on it. This served as his “ticket” to a special awards banquet. According to this view, Jesus promises the overcomers entrance to the eternal victory celebration in heaven. The “new name” most likely refers to the Holy Spirit’s work of conforming believers to the holiness of Christ (see Romans 8:29; Colossians 3:10).

http://www.gotquestions.org/white-stone-new-name.html

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

1 hour ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Peeps,,,,

Yes Kwik that is exactally what you just posted in detail.  What a glorious time that will be.. seeing our Savior face to face.  I just want to hug Him.