• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

Knowing what you know today, if you were in the crowd at Jesus trial would you have shouted "crucify Him"?--- I would have

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  603
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

Oh my goodness woundeddog.  I have seriously asked myself this same question every time I pass through this scripture on my way reading through the Bible.  The truth is that I don't know one way or the other, but it is always such a striking warning to me to not get carried away by a collective opinion.  Just because everyone says something is true, does not mean  it is true.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

2 hours ago, Esther4:14 said:

Oh my goodness woundeddog

Esther-- the reason I would have had to shout crucify him is because with out his death on the cross and shed blood we would still be in sin-- its heartbreakingly true but we would have to ask him to die for us

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

It was God's will for Jesus to die on the cross.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

16 minutes ago, bopeep1909 said:

It was God's will for Jesus to die on the cross.

Yes bopeep it was God the Father's will for Jesus to die on the cross and not the will of man.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  603
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, woundeddog said:

Esther-- the reason I would have had to shout crucify him is because with out his death on the cross and shed blood we would still be in sin-- its heartbreakingly true but we would have to ask him to die for us

Hi woundeddog.  I appreciate your sincerity in knowing that you need His sacrifice for atonement.  However, I don't think this is what the crowd represents.  The crowd represents the flesh and our propensity to be sheep in need of a shepherd.  This is what happens when you follow the wrong shepherd, which can happen to us as believers.  Then, the illustration becomes one of yelling "crucify Him," with a crowd because there is a crowd to belong with.  That is a key feature of this passage because we can make this same mistake at any time because it would make us feel better at the time, to be part of a crowd.  To belong to something.  

The question becomes whether being a Christian becomes, or is the same thing, only following a crowd who can lead you into error.  

Being a Christian is something entirely different that what we see taking place before our Lord gives up His life as an offering for the sins of the whole world.  Being a Christian is to take up our own cross when the crowd is yelling "crucify Him.". 

There is really so much to gain from a discussion of this passage.  Thank you for bringing it up.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

While it was God's will that Jesus was crucified for our sins, it was a melancholy "these things must needs be..."

And in Isaiah 53:10 the language at one point seems to suggest this was the Lord's delight that he suffer... which referred rather to the passion of judgment and vindication of the Lord's righteousness requiring judgment and the carrying out of that judgment... it was no more a party for God than it would be for a parent watching their kid being drug off into a Florida lagoon by an alligator.

Woe woe woe! Just the thought of his enduring the cross and the trials leading up to it.

And to see my many sins as reason enough to put him through all that, woe woe woe is me!

How could the thought of ever crying out "Crucify him!" ever be in my mind or its sound ever be on my lips?

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:30 AM, Openly Curious said:

Yes bopeep it was God the Father's will for Jesus to die on the cross and not the will of man.

Yet Caiaphas was a man who advised the Sanhedrin that it was expedient for one man to die on behalf of the people (John 18:14).

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

14 hours ago, OldSchool2 said:

Yet Caiaphas was a man who advised the Sanhedrin that it was expedient for one man to die on behalf of the people (John 18:14).

You should read...John 11:45-57 - especially vs. (49-53)  

Caiaphas was not advising any one as you say as he was not in on the plot with the Pharisees to kill Jesus.  Instead Caiaphas who was the high priest that year told them that they didn't know any thing at all (vs. 49).  Nor was they taking it into account that it was expedient (necessary) for Jesus to die for them so none would perish (vs. 50).  Caiaphas was speaking concerning Jesus being our High Priest and was not speaking of his own self (vs. 51).  Instead he prophesied of what was in the scriptures concerning Jesus having to die so that salvation would come to their nation and to those in other nations (vs. 51-52).

This was the plan and will of God before the foundation of the earth was even laid.  Before mankind was even created God's will was to send his only begotten Son into the world to die for the sins of man (Ephesians 1).   Yes Caiaphas was a man but it was not his plan nor his will that Jesus would die on the cross for the atonement of sin, but he knowing the scriptures he knew it was necessary in order for the cleansing of sin to take place by accepting the sacrifice of Christ's body by faith that God gave to the world as we are saved through faith not of works lest any man should boast.

John 1:13; John 3:16; 

I can't see how anyone could yell out to crucify Jesus especially knowing he was an innocent man.  My conscience wouldn't allow me to condemn someone who had no sin nor guile was found in their mouth.  Even knowing the will of God beforehand I couldn't condemn Jesus and yell out with the mob to Crucify Him. 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 6/15/2016 at 9:53 AM, woundeddog said:

Knowing what you know today, if you were in the crowd at Jesus trial....
would you have shouted "crucify Him"....

:emot-heartbeat:

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. 1 Corinthians 12:3