IGNORED

Is it just a character or is it deception?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have a Christian friend who is a professional mermaid (Yes, that is a real career!) She says that she doesn't really consider it lying because she's the closest thing to a real mermaid that exists on this earth. So when a child asks if she is a real mermaid, she says, "As real as can be!" with a clean conscience. But is it still considered deception, or is it alright that she's been paid to play this character? She would probably have to tell the kids, if they ask, that she lives in the ocean, knows Ariel, etc. I'm not sure on that part. I'd love to follow in her footsteps (or fins...lol) and go pro one day too, but what are y'alls opinions on this? I have seen these mermaids be very uplifting and inspiring for children and even adults, but I also want to do it with a clean conscience as well as glorify God.

Edited by C_Jones

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

26 minutes ago, C_Jones said:

So when a child asks if she is a real mermaid, she says, "As real as can be!"

Sounds fishy.:) Seriously, it would not be a good idea to represent oneself as a mythical creature, particularly given the legends about mermaids.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

A "real" mermaid would not be able to remove her tail.  You would be required by your employers to tell kids you are a real mermaid just as you would tell them Santa Clause is real.  Rubbish.  I never told our kids Santa Clause was real.  I told them they were someone's daddy who was dressed up to look like a Santa Clause.  I figured that if I told them lies when they were young, how could they believe me about Jesus, God in human flesh, Who arose from the dead.  So I do believe we shouldn't lie to children.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings ,,,,

Commendable,it is good & wise advice from Willa,(as always),,,,,if I "knew then" what I know now-lol    Well,I lied,my parents lied & so did their parents before them,,,,,,when my son was very little,before he could understand or questioned "Who is Santa Claus",,,I said"Here is Santa!",,,,,,,I suppose I am still a liar because I took my grand daughter to see "Santa" when she was 2 & 3yrs old,,,,,after which she seemed terrified & I made him take off his beard & then she understood "No such person"    I remember my mom telling me that the Santa's in the mall were his "helpers" because he was busy in the north pole making toys    I suppose a lie is a lie,I don't know that I would do things differently now but I do applaud Willa  for her convictions,Praise Jesus!

Personally,I don't see anything wrong with the "mermaid" show,,,,,I remember watching "mermaid" shows as a kid,,,,,,who knows,maybe that was where it all began with my going out into the world & into the darkness for a time?Maybe if my parents were Born Again Christians ,like Willa,,,,,it may have spared me much grief? But then again,I would not have come back to Jesus knowing as I came to find out,,,how desperately I needed Him? I don't know the answers,I think Ezra & Willa are right,it is best to avoid these things,we are accountable for what we do know & have learned,,,,,pray about it,God Will guide you

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Since there are no Mermaids except in the imagination and the animated ones on screen (leave it to Disney)..I would say it is what it is..a pretend Mermaid. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I think I would just tell the truth. I would say that my job is the dress up as a mythical Sea Creature. As far as the children asking me if I was a real mermaid I would say "no".

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/14/1969

On 20/06/2016 at 9:54 AM, Ezra said:

Sounds fishy.:) Seriously, it would not be a good idea to represent oneself as a mythical creature, particularly given the legends about mermaids.

Haha, good answer .. totally agree.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,436
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

It is harmless in my opinion. Just make sure you are modestly dressed. I notice that a number of mermaids are not exactly modestly dressed. 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

11 hours ago, seabrook said:

Since there are no Mermaids except in the imagination and the animated ones on screen (leave it to Disney).. I would say it is what it is.. a pretend Mermaid. 

:thumbsup:

Just Like Pretend Evolutions, You'll Only See Them In The Cartoons

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:19 AM, kwikphilly said:

I took my grand daughter to see "Santa" when she was 2 & 3yrs old,,,,,after which she seemed terrified

I think its a good thing that children are terrified of Santa== cause Santa spelled inside out is Satan!!!! --- LOL