• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Harnessing Our Emotions

As a disciple of Jesus Christ I must come to terms with my emotions. The usual image of a saint is one who has disintegrated his emotions, but it is better to visualize him as one who has harnessed his emotions. The Bible tells us to crucify the "flesh," not the emotions (Galatians 5:24). On the other hand, unless emotions are controlled, they may run from sensuality to depression. 

The biblical sequence is clear: my emotions are to be controlled by my disposition of "mind," and my disposition must be controlled by my will. When Paul said, "Let this mind be in you" (Philippians 2:5, KJV), he was not speaking of Jesus' brain, but His way of thinking, His disposition. If Christ is alive in me, it follows that His way of thinking is alive in me; therefore, all I need to do is to turn my will over to Him, and consequently His disposition begins to appear in my life. 

If allowed to run free, my emotions can lead me into danger. That is because emotions do not make moral choices. I can fall in love with a sinner as well as a saint; I can fear God as well as Satan. Unless my emotions are disciplined and prevented from going too far, I can expect a pack of troubles. A true disciple is - not emotionless, nor is he unemotional; he simply has learned when to let his emotions run and how far. 

If I do not rule my emotions, they will rule me. Whenever fear, love, hate, prejudice, or any other emotion dominates me, I become a neurotic. My victory lies in forcibly denying my emotions any preeminence by an act of the will. I must keep putting the reins of my life into the hands of Jesus Christ so that I may "will one will" with Him at all times. Total surrender to Christ is total control of my life, including the emotional side of me, which so much needs His mastery (Romans 12:1-2). 

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law" (Galatians 5:22-23).

http://www.newjourneyfellowship.com/dwtk06JUNE.html

What do you do with your emotions and how do you control them?

Does the Bible talk about emotions?

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Angels,,,,

Very good Topic however I do not agree that our "emotions" are not of the flesh as the following suggests

The Bible tells us to crucify the "flesh," not the emotions (Galatians 5:24)

Actually,I strongly disagree with that statement & I believe we do indeed get into much of the trouble we get into because of carnal mindedness which is having a heart & mind of flesh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as we begin to "renew our minds" we begin to grow & mature by accessing the Mind of Christ,the Heart of Christ,we transform into those "New Creatures in Christ Jesus" that we  become as we walk in Spirit & in Truth,,,,,,,,,

There is much said about "emotions" in the Word of God....

Proverbs 16:32
 He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.

Philippians 4:7
 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:2
 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.

Romans 8:6
 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,

2 Corinthians 5:7
 for we walk by faith, not by sight--

Romans 1:17
 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."

Psalm 139:23
 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts;

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.

There are so many many many  more ,,,,,,,that is just a few    Our own hearts & minds have proven to us time & time again that they are unreliable & undependable,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,by the Power of the Holy Spirit we do have access to the Heart & Mind of Jesus,we must first forsake all that is "self" to Receive what attainable to every born Again Believer     Praise Jesus!    Renew your mind and your very heart will change because of Jesus,our Living Redeemer,,,,,,

If Christ is alive in me, it follows that His way of thinking is alive in me; therefore, all I need to do is to turn my will over to Him, and consequently His disposition begins to appear in my life.

Amen,Glory to God,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,because of His Grace                                            With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

On 6/22/2016 at 1:18 PM, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Angels,,,,

Very good Topic however I do not agree that our "emotions" are not of the flesh as the following suggests

Actually,I strongly disagree with that statement & I believe we do indeed get into much of the trouble we get into because of carnal mindedness which is having a heart & mind of flesh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as we begin to "renew our minds" we begin to grow & mature by accessing the Mind of Christ,the Heart of Christ,we transform into those "New Creatures in Christ Jesus" that we  become as we walk in Spirit & in Truth,,,,,,,,,

There is much said about "emotions" in the Word of God....

There are so many many many  more ,,,,,,,that is just a few    Our own hearts & minds have proven to us time & time again that they are unreliable & undependable,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,by the Power of the Holy Spirit we do have access to the Heart & Mind of Jesus,we must first forsake all that is "self" to Receive what attainable to every born Again Believer     Praise Jesus!    Renew your mind and your very heart will change because of Jesus,our Living Redeemer,,,,,,

Amen,Glory to God,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,because of His Grace                                            With love-in Christ,Kwik

Hi Kwik, I didn't really know how to respond back to you ,I think we are misunderstanding each other,but that's ok :) because I do agree with the article ~~ :)

Love you sister:emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

On 6/22/2016 at 6:41 AM, angels4u said:

What do you do with your emotions and how do you control them?

Does the Bible talk about emotions?

The article is clear and in keeping with Scripture. Emotions can -- and must -- be controlled, and the Bible has much to say about emotions arising from the flesh and those governed by the Holy Spirit. Emotions produce thoughts, and thoughts can be controlled or resisted (Phil 4:8) and directed towards things which reflect the mind of Christ.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:emot-heartbeat:

Emotions....

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. Luke 10:27 (King James Version)

They Have Their Place Too....

Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalms 103:1 (King James Version)

And Yet Look What Happened To Poor King David, lol

And David danced before the Lord with all his might. And David was wearing a linen ephod. So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouting and with the sound of the horn.

As the ark of the Lord came into the city of David, Michal the daughter of Saul looked out of the window and saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, and she despised him in her heart. And they brought in the ark of the Lord and set it in its place, inside the tent that David had pitched for it. And David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LordAnd when David had finished offering the burnt offerings and the peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord of hosts and distributed among all the people, the whole multitude of Israel, both men and women, a cake of bread, a portion of meat, and a cake of raisins to each one. Then all the people departed, each to his house.

And David returned to bless his household. But Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David and said, “How the king of Israel honored himself today, uncovering himself today before the eyes of his servants’ female servants, as one of the vulgar fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!” And David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me above your father and above all his house, to appoint me as prince over Israel, the people of the Lord—and I will celebrate before the Lord. I will make myself yet more contemptible than this, and I will be abased in your eyes. But by the female servants of whom you have spoken, by them I shall be held in honor.” 2 Samuel 6:14-22 (English Standard Version)

And Then Some Of The Saddest Words I've Ever Read

And Michal the daughter of Saul had no child to the day of her death. 2 Samuel 6:23 (English Standard Version)

Pronounced Over A Royal Daughter

Now the Israelites had been saying, “Do you see how this man keeps coming out? He comes out to defy Israel. The king will give great wealth to the man who kills him. He will also give him his daughter in marriage and will exempt his family from taxes in Israel.”

David asked the men standing near him, “What will be done for the man who kills this Philistine and removes this disgrace from Israel? Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?”

They repeated to him what they had been saying and told him, “This is what will be done for the man who kills him.” 1 Samuel 17:25-27 (New International Version)

Of Zion

Set a guard over my mouth, LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips. Set a guard over my mouth, LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips. Psalm 141:3 (New International Version)