Doctors issue warning about LED streetlights

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/21/health/led-streetlights-ama/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

An incandescent bulb has a color temperature of 2400K, which means it contains far less blue and far more yellow and red wavelengths. Before electric light, we burned wood and candles at night; this artificial light has a CT of about 1800K, quite yellow/red and almost no blue. What we have now is very different.
The new "white" LED street lighting which is rapidly being retrofitted in cities throughout the country has two problems, according to the AMA. The first is discomfort and glare. Because LED light is so concentrated and has high blue content, it can cause severe glare, resulting in pupillary constriction in the eyes. Blue light scatters more in the human eye than the longer wavelengths of yellow and red, and sufficient levels can damage the retina. This can cause problems seeing clearly for safe driving or walking at night.
You can sense this easily if you look directly into one of the control lights on your new washing machine or other appliance: it is very difficult to do because it hurts. Street lighting can have this same effect, especially if its blue content is high and there is not appropriate shielding.
The other issue addressed by the AMA statement is the impact on human circadian rhythmicity.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

My city experimented with led lights in my neighborhood. For which I quite vocally protested. They have a smaller photo footprint so they do not cast enough light between the lampposts. After a couple of years of this, I notice that they are replacing them one by one with yellow lights. I do not think these are the older lights. I think these are still led lights but yellow. They do not hurt as much as the other ones do. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,098
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I read an article lasr week that watching a smart phone can cause temporary blindness.  The bright led back lights do damage your eyes.   You should set your screen output to be text if you are going to read a lot on it

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, other one said:

I read an article lasr week that watching a smart phone can cause temporary blindness.  The bright led back lights do damage your eyes.   You should set your screen output to be text if you are going to read a lot on it

Yes, there are several warnings on smart phones.