• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, Remnantrob said:

Let me preface my response by saying that I already know that it won't be a popular one but I'm not concerned with that.  Here's one definition of competition.

One of my favorite books in the bible on this topic is Philippians.  In chapter 2 beginning with verse 3 it states:

Now keep in mind that the question is in regards to a Christian institution.  Whatever the world does is what they do.  Christians are called to the standards of the bible and to raise kids to rely on competition to become successful in life isn't a good decision in my opinion.  Notice that the text says "Let nothing".  What does that include?  Also it says strife or vainglory which is the basis of competition.  Think about  something simple as the championship game about to go on in baseball.  The fans are usually riled up against each other for their teams and for what?  the vainglory of a championship that will be forgotten about in years following for another vainglory championship.  How many competitors esteem others better than themselves?  If they did it would be a pretty boring game wouldn't it.  That could be applied to all games that involved a rivalry for who's better. Remember the definition said that you're establishing superiority over others but the end of verse 3 admonishes us to esteem others better than ourselves.  And this seems to be related to the mind of Christ because he put God the father before himself though he is equal to him.  He put lowly human beings ahead of him, though he is the creator.  I've heard the statement that God's kingdom is an upside down kingdom because in order to lead you have to serve...but how can you serve if you're striving to be better than others(in a healthy way)?

My mind goes to Lucifer and his mind.  The complex that he had seemed to be competitive. In Isaiah 14:12-15 it says:

There are a lot of I's in there. And the bible says in Proverbs 16:18 says:

I love basketball and have been struggling with this issue for years.  Do you know how good it feels to drain a shot in someones face and the temptation it takes to not boast about how much better you are than them?  What about if you dunk on someone?  Pride comes in big time.  I'm not telling anyone what to think, I'm just sharing what has been shared with me in the bible.  These are principles that I believe would help us get closer to having that mind that Christ has.  I don't remember him striving with anyone in the bible to somehow show "hey look, I'm the son of God".  He always did for others. Most of the scriptures I've seen speaking about strife have not been in a positive light. This is where I would begin on the subject of competition in christian schools.

And yet the Apostle Paul repeatedly used compitition references in telling us how to live our lives. 

Competition does not need to be strife, when I play a game of monopoly with my family we are having a competition yet there is no strife.  The problem is not competition, it is the one that cannot be competitive without strife.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

4 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

And yet the Apostle Paul repeatedly used compitition references in telling us how to live our lives. 

Competition does not need to be strife, when I play a game of monopoly with my family we are having a competition yet there is no strife.  The problem is not competition, it is the one that cannot be competitive without strife.

Would you please post those texts referencing competition in how to live our lives so that we could examine them together?  Thanks.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

14 minutes ago, Remnantrob said:

Would you please post those texts referencing competition in how to live our lives so that we could examine them together?  Thanks.

Heb12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

Phil 2:16 16 holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.

Gal 2:2 I went up because of a revelation and set before them (though privately before those who seemed influential) the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order to make sure I was not running or had not run in vain. 

2 Tim 2:5-6  An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. 6 It is the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops

I Cor 9:24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

16 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Heb12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

Phil 2:16 16 holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.

Gal 2:2 I went up because of a revelation and set before them (though privately before those who seemed influential) the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order to make sure I was not running or had not run in vain. 

2 Tim 2:5-6  An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. 6 It is the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops

I Cor 9:24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Good points.  Powerful scriptures.  It may be that the only worthy enemy that needs to be beaten(competitively speaking) is that of self.  A lot of these scriptures speak about a race and running.  If you ask a lot of runners today about their idea of competition they may say that are not worried about the competition.  Their greatest obstacles is themselves.  I'm going to have to go back and digest these verses you gave me before I can give you an actual response that is in line with what I previously post so I'm going to ask that you be a little patient with me in this effort.  One verse does come to mind and it's Proverbs 24:17,18 and it says:

17 Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth:

18 Lest the Lord see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him.

Not sure how you win a game without rejoicing when your enemy/rival/competitor falls/loses.:huh: But we can go over that another time.  Thanks for the response.

Guest shiloh357
19 hours ago, Remnantrob said:

I love basketball and have been struggling with this issue for years.  Do you know how good it feels to drain a shot in someones face and the temptation it takes to not boast about how much better you are than them?  What about if you dunk on someone?  Pride comes in big time.  I'm not telling anyone what to think, I'm just sharing what has been shared with me in the bible.  These are principles that I believe would help us get closer to having that mind that Christ has.  I don't remember him striving with anyone in the bible to somehow show "hey look, I'm the son of God".  He always did for others. Most of the scriptures I've seen speaking about strife have not been in a positive light. This is where I would begin on the subject of competition in christian schools.

There is a world of difference between friendly rivalry and competition in sports and the pride the Bible speaks of where you feel you are superior to anyone and every one else. 

Guest shiloh357

Competition is healthy for students in any academic environment.  It's part of life.  They will be competing in real life out of school.   They will be competing with others to show why they're the best person to be hired for the job.  If they don't know how to put their best foot forward and convince a prospective employer that they're best for the job, then their career will likely have a mop and a bucket in it.

9 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

There is a world of difference between friendly rivalry and competition in sports and the pride the Bible speaks of where you feel you are superior to anyone and every one else. 

Hey Shiloh,

Long time no see. What determines that difference?  I'm sure you've seen interviews where one player says how much they hate this team or how much better they are than another player on another team.  So how do determine that difference?  Pride can be a seed that starts out as seemingly innocent, but then BANG! 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

11 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Competition is healthy for students in any academic environment.  It's part of life.  They will be competing in real life out of school.   They will be competing with others to show why they're the best person to be hired for the job.  If they don't know how to put their best foot forward and convince a prospective employer that they're best for the job, then their career will likely have a mop and a bucket in it.

Hi Shiloh,

I'm not a big fan of uneven playing fields (school situation) - you know, having classes with students of uneven levels of capabilities - especially at primary school.

For those lower students, competing academically with with higher level students can demoralise them.

However, I do believe in mixing the class with some differences in levels of capabilities but not to the extreme opposites.

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Remnantrob said:

Hey Shiloh,

Long time no see. What determines that difference?  I'm sure you've seen interviews where one player says how much they hate this team or how much better they are than another player on another team.  So how do determine that difference?  Pride can be a seed that starts out as seemingly innocent, but then BANG! 

I specifically mentioned friendly rivalries.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

However...

I do see competition being a part of human makeup - its obvious in the animal kingdom - it's just how one applies that competitive nature imo.