• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

16 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Hi Shiloh,

I'm not a big fan of uneven playing fields (school situation) - you know, having classes with students of uneven levels of capabilities - especially at primary school.

For those lower students, competing academically with with higher level students can demoralise them.

However, I do believe in mixing the class with some differences in levels of capabilities but not to the extreme opposites.

In primary school how does one decide who has higher and who has lower levels of capabilities?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

6 minutes ago, Davida said:

I would encourage everyone to strive for their personal best and to practice and work at increasing their ability.  I would teach the kids that hard work can catch up to someone else's natural gifts in an area and even surpass them because of shear determination of that individual.

Good post?

I agree everyone should strive for their personal best but in primary school, I think academically based, classes should be more evenly distributed.

Obviously the class landscape would change as students are achieving higher levels (which is the goal).

This is just my personal opinion - to date, I don't think classes operate like this. Not from what I've seen anyway.

Guest shiloh357
43 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Hi Shiloh,

I'm not a big fan of uneven playing fields (school situation) - you know, having classes with students of uneven levels of capabilities - especially at primary school.

For those lower students, competing academically with with higher level students can demoralise them.

However, I do believe in mixing the class with some differences in levels of capabilities but not to the extreme opposites.

Hey HF,

I hear you.  What I am thinking about is competing for Valedictorian in high school, not so much individual classes.

I think competition makes us better.  Only one student can be valedictorian.  Only one person can win the race, only one team can win the championship.  So it drives everyone to be their best.  And even if you don't win, you're better for competition itself, AND you learn how to handle defeat and how to learn from mistakes, how you could have been better.   That is something valuable in the adult world, where you are almost always competing for promotions, raises, or to get hired.