• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,083
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

48 minutes ago, Andrew Ryan said:

I take it you don't own a TV set and are allergic to newspapers and  news outlets of any kind.

We ought to have a weekly award  for the most obtuse glibness produced on this forum. 

You have my vote.

Virtually all violence perpetuated on our pretty blue dot at this moment is explicitly caused  by religion.

But cheer up, at least it isn't yours.

Andrew

that's kind of tacky....   we don't do things that way here.  You've been here for what????  three weeks.  How many posts have you really read?  I like those two words in read....   we should talk about them, but not here.

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,767
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

11 hours ago, Andrew Ryan said:

I take it you don't own a TV set and are allergic to newspapers and  news outlets of any kind.

We ought to have a weekly award  for the most obtuse glibness produced on this forum. 

You have my vote.

Virtually all violence perpetuated on our pretty blue dot at this moment is explicitly caused  by religion.

Andrew

This would be considered a personal attack.  For this reason, Andrew has been banned from this thread.

Guest shiloh357

To blame religion for war doesn't really square with history.  The wars of the 20th century were the bloodiest in human history.   You have the Chinese and Russian revolutions, WWI,  WWII, Korea, Vietnam , the Gulf War.    That represents hundreds of millions of people dead and none of it had anything to do with religion.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 7/9/2016 at 8:30 AM, Rationaltheology said:

Me and a friend decided to investigate the topic of religion and wars, since this is often a topic atheists bring up saying that they are inevitably linked. We found that religion wasn't the main cause of war at all, or suffering in the world and that more deaths have resulted from atheistic communism itself in the 20th century alone compared to crimes linked to religion. You can read the post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/badhistory/comments/4ec4jy/religion_is_the_main_cause_of_war_and_the_root_of/

:sherlock:

Rational

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

Theology

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

Tells Me Peace

Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest. Luke 19:38

Only Comes With Jesus

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

4 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

To blame religion for war doesn't really square with history.  The wars of the 20th century were the bloodiest in human history.   You have the Chinese and Russian revolutions, WWI,  WWII, Korea, Vietnam , the Gulf War.    That represents hundreds of millions of people dead and none of it had anything to do with religion.

all about money and power which is the control of money.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  820
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  7

On undefined at 10:15 PM, Andrew Ryan said:

You have my vote.

Andrew

I'm not sure what to make of this post to be honest. On one swoop you're talking about newspapers and TV as if you're interested in facts while at the same time committing a gross generalisation by branding "religion" in general as violent based on the recent actions of a single violent religion namely Islam. That's like saying all people of colour are violent based on the recent spate of BLM killings.

Not only that but you claim that "virtually all violence perpetrated is explicitly caused by religion" is simply ridiculous.

Looking at wars, which is the topic in question, the Encyclopedia of war chronicles 1763 wars of which 123 were religious in nature, which is just over 6 percent, of which about half of those were Islamic.

In terms of violence in general most violence in Europe and America are drug and gang related, not religious. The most violent regions are South America and Africa, and the violence there is chiefly around politics, territory, tribal conflict and greed so even moving the focus to violence doesn't get you anywhere close to "virtually all violence is perpetrated by religion".

I'm indeed cheerful that at least it isn't my religion. In fact I'm quite proud of all the hospitals and schools and universities that were built by Christians throughout the world. Not to mention international charity organisations like the Red Cross and the Salvation army who has brought hope and support to millions. Not to mentions all the small support groups, the inner-city soup kitchens, the drug counsellors, rape crisis centres and so on that are mostly run by Christians.

So yeah....not doing too well in the facts department are you, Andrew?

Edited by LuftWaffle

Andrew can't reply to you he has been banned from this thread for the post you quoted....

On 7/25/2016 at 2:35 AM, George said:

This would be considered a personal attack.  For this reason, Andrew has been banned from this thread.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

!5 Scriptures in the Bible have the word "wars" in them. I thought there would be more than that?

Num. 21:14, Wherefore it is said in the book of the wars of the LORD, What he did in the Red sea, and in the brooks of Arnon,

Jdg. 3:1, Now these are the nations which the LORD left, to prove Israel by them, even as many of Israel as had not known all the wars of Canaan;

2 Sam. 8:10, Then Toi sent Joram his son unto king David, to salute4 him, and to bless him, because he had fought against Hadadezer, and smitten him: for Hadadezer had wars5 with Toi. And Joram brought6 with him vessels of silver, and vessels of gold, and vessels of brass:

1 Kings 5:3, Thou knowest how that David my father could not build an house unto the name of the LORD his God for the wars which were about him on every side, until the LORD put them under the soles of his feet.

1 Chron. 22:8, But the word of the LORD came to me, saying, Thou hast shed blood abundantly, and hast made great wars: thou shalt not build an house unto my name, because thou hast shed much blood upon the earth in my sight.

2 Chron. 12:15, Now the acts of Rehoboam, first and last, are they not written in the book4 of Shemaiah the prophet, and of Iddo the seer concerning genealogies? And there were wars between Rehoboam and Jeroboam continually.

2 Chron. 16:9, For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew4 himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. Herein thou hast done foolishly: therefore from henceforth thou shalt have wars.

2 Chron. 27:7, Now the rest of the acts of Jotham, and all his wars, and his ways, lo, they are written in the book of the kings of Israel and Judah.

Psalms 46:9, He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.

Matt. 24:6, And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

Mark. 13:7, And when ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars, be ye not troubled: for such things must needs be; but the end shall not be yet.

Luke  21:9, But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.

James 4:1, From whence come wars and fightings1 among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 7/11/2016 at 1:03 PM, kwikphilly said:

Agreed,the love & worship of it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all wars are caused by the enemy(the true source),man carries it out.........imo

I would agree with that too.  However the term religion is not what we have here.  While Christianity is a major religion, we are about a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.  Religion is man made, Christianity is Christ centered.  We walk with Jesus day by day.  With the Bible which is God's love letter to us we know that it is only Christ who can change a heart and with changed hearts comes a changed world.

Blessings RustyAngeL

Guest Robert
On 7/24/2016 at 2:15 PM, Andrew Ryan said:

You have my vote.

Andrew

Actually, that is not the case: much of the violent crime in the US is not religious-based. Nor are any of the conflicts currently going on Between Russia and the Ukraine. Japan and China's contesting of the East China Sea is not religion-based, nor is the violence currently going on in Argentina (gender-based violence).

As for your comment of "weekly award for obtuse glibness produced on this forum", may I recommend for you Matthew chapter 7?

Lastly: thanks so much for the "encouragement", but Christianity isn't a religion, as "religion" is man reaching to God. That's not Christianity at all, as God reached out to US through Jesus Christ.