IGNORED

Should a person who is openly homosexual be baptized?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,111
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

The order of service in the Old Covenant began at the altar of sacrifice of the flesh. Only after the flesh was sacrificed did one next approach the laver of the water of washing. Only after being washed in the water could one enter the Holy Place, where the Spirit of God was represented by the menorah, and the Word by the showbread, and acceptable prayer to God by the altar of incense.

In the New Testament, repentance from the works of the flesh is the first requirement; only then is water baptism of washing of sins to be performed, allowing the person to enter in to the communion of the saints with the Holy One.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, (1) Repent, and (2) be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and (3) ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Kan

So if a sinner is baptized without leaving the old life... the ceremony, which represents the sinner entering the purpose of the death and resurrection of Christ, is corrupted.

Yep,I believe that is true

In the New Testament, repentance from the works of the flesh is the first requirement; only then is water baptism of washing of sins to be performed, allowing the person to enter in to the communion of the saints with the Holy One.                                                                  William L

In Acts 1:5 where Jesus says to his disciples, “John baptized with water, but before many days you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.” Then in verse 8 he says, “You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be my witnesses.” The fulfillment of these two promises came on the day of Pentecost. Acts 2:2–4 says, “And suddenly a sound came from heaven like the rush of a mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.                       With love-in Christ<kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/9/2016 at 1:39 PM, GoldenEagle said:

God loves everyone it's true. ? What passage in the Bible are you specifically referring to?

How does this idea of God loving everyone specifically relate to someone who is openly living the homosexual lifestyle becoming baptized?

God bless,

GE

Since God loves everyone, everyone had the right to be baptized.  God doesn't discriminate.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, gerbilgirl said:

Since God loves everyone, everyone had the right to be baptized.  God doesn't discriminate.  

Yes, God loves humans, but he does not like sin. And it is the sin part that separates us from fellowship of God. Any sinful lifestyle is a hindrance to our relationship with God. A person who comes to church behaving in an immoral way is “openly” sinning where everyone can physically see and hear the person sinning. Every act of sin is done in violation of God's moral laws. It isn't what we human's declare what is right and what is wrong. It is what God says is right and wrong.

A person is not saved by water baptism, but by placing their faith in Jesus' life, death, burial, and resurrection. However, water baptism is a public confession and testimony that a person is making a commitment to put to death the sinful nature that is within them and is committed to following Christ. That the person is indeed repenting of their sins, confessing faith in front of witnesses. Water baptism symbolizes the death and burial of the old carnal self and its sinful nature. (repentance) Commitment to die to self must follow faith.

Going through water baptism just because you have a right to is meaningless without truly desiring to totally repent of all sin and this would include the homosexual lifestyle.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51

Should a person who is openly gay be baptised? Only if that person has repented and chosen the celibate life. Quite simply, being gay by itself is not a sin but living it out, having gay sex is. So a gay person can be saved and baptised but not if they will not leave the lifestyle

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,237
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

In 1 Corinthians 5 the church was corrected by Paul because it openly accepted a man having sex with his step mother.  They thought they were being open minded and loving.  Paul told them not to even eat with unrepentant habitual sinners who called themselves Christians.  So to baptize a person who is openly proud and boastful of their sin does not seem to be right in God's eyes.  But they should be welcomed, loved and prayed for till they can come to a full commitment to Christ.  Should they refuse after some time they could be warned. 

John the Baptist said:  Mat 3:5  Then people from Jerusalem, all of Judea, and all the region around the Jordan went out to him.  Mat 3:6  They were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins.  Mat 3:7  But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for his baptism, he said to them, “You offspring of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?  Mat 3:8  Therefore produce fruit worthy of repentance!

True repentance involves turning from sin in our hearts and turning to God for forgiveness.  It involves recognizing who Jesus is:   the Messiah, the God-man who would reign over the world (and be King of Israel.)  While we may not fully understand it all, this was even the confession of the thief on the cross when he said "remember me when You come into Your Kingdom."   We recognize that it is because of Jesus that our sins were forgiven.   Receiving Him as Lord means to accept His authority in our lives.  It is expressing a desire to follow Him.  Confessing these things is usually part of baptism.  

The gay person may first be convicted of lying instead of the obvious.  But it wouldn't take long for him to also be convicted of more sin.  Most people become aware of a slew of things in the first year after turning to Christ;  often they say they feel worse than they did when they first repented as they wrestle with overcoming other habits.  

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

On 7/9/2016 at 10:22 AM, GoldenEagle said:

Should a person who is openly homosexual be baptized?

Dear Brother GoldenEagle, I have not read seven pages of replies to see if what I'm submitting has already been given, but here goes.

In such cases I’d think the burden should be on the church administering the baptism. Would we baptize such a one entering our assembly, shooting twenty of our congregation, wanting to be baptized prior to promising to shoot twenty more as soon as he came up out of the water? Well, maybe so if it wasn’t me he was going to shoot huh?

1Co 5:1  It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

1Co 5:2  And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.

1Co 5:3  For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,

1Co 5:4  In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

1Co 5:5  To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Later when concerning the man openly living in fornication Paul wrote the following.

2Co 2:6  Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many.

2Co 2:7  So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.

2Co 2:8  Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.

2Co 2:9  For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.

2Co 2:10  To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;

2Co 2:11  Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.

Blessings in Christ Jesus.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

After reading all 7 pages :) a thought has occurred to me...would this same discussion be going on if we substituted adultery for homosexuality?  What I mean to say is would there be any debate if we asked if a practicing adulterer should be baptized?  Someone who refused to acknowledge that adultery was a sin and refused to stop committing adultery?  Just a thought.

Guest shiloh357
1 minute ago, lmab said:

After reading all 7 pages :) a thought has occurred to me...would this same discussion be going on if we substituted adultery for homosexuality?  What I mean to say is would there be any debate if we asked if a practicing adulterer should be baptized?  Someone who refused to acknowledge that adultery was a sin and refused to stop committing adultery?  Just a thought.

The answer to your question is that we (those of us who actually follow Scripture) would not baptize a practicing adulterer, or a practicing thief, liar, etc.  Someone who is living in habitual sin (of any kind) and is unrepentant would not qualify for baptism.  Just a thought.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

2 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

The answer to your question is that we (those of us who actually follow Scripture) would not baptize a practicing adulterer, or a practicing thief, liar, etc.  Someone who is living in habitual sin (of any kind) and is unrepentant would not qualify for baptism.  Just a thought.

Agreed.