• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

8 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Well Brother,it is not that I didn't think you knew the teachings in the Talmud or that you did not know customs & traditions,we do have many here that do not & as I mentioned,I simply thought you would appreciate the article from "Church of God",,,,,,,,,

Personally I do not believe it had anything to do with Gods Law,He was obviously telling both Moses & Joshua that He is Holy,Sovereign God Almighty,anywhere in His Presence is Holy.........I don't see anything more to make out of it,He was speaking to them,,,,,,,If a person takes their shoes of in humility & reverence ,I don't see anything wrong with that either,,,,,,,but a "Law" ,,,no

it's not that, 
it's that i guess i didn't make my question clear. 

why these two men, and not the Levites? why not anyone who brought a gift to the altar, or everyone who ever encountered the Angel of the Lord? why are they alone told this, in those specific moments at those specific places, but it is never given as a law? 

as much as it is a honorable symbolic action of respect, and a typology, it wasn't written in the Torah that it must be done. which is sort of odd to me, because the Law does in fact go into a lot of detail on other things. 

Edited by post

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.51
  • Days Won:  3

This is such an epic moment in history. This is Moses first encounter with God, his first understanding that God really is God. Remember, Moses was raised in the rich opulence of Egypt.  Besides being exposed to all the many gods there, Moses was raised in the household of the pharaoh, who was thought by the people to be descended from the gods. What I'm trying to say, is that gods were commonplace for Moses.  He had to have known that the Egyptian priests removed their shoes before entering the temples. Yet, this was different. This was not a temple made of stone, with gold statues and smooth polished stone floors. This was a mountainside, full of brambles and weeds, rock and dirt. Moses immediately believed that the ground was holy and not because it was a palace or a temple, but because the holy Presence of God was there.

Also, notice that the only two times this has been stated in scripture is 1) when God is using a man to deliver his people from bondage to go to the promised land, and 2) when God is using a man to drive out the enemy and posses the promised land.   

Perhaps it's a like time marker, an act that is used to demonstrate the universal significance of the event.

• Group:  Diamond Member

46 minutes ago, traveller said:

This is such an epic moment in history. This is Moses first encounter with God, his first understanding that God really is God. Remember, Moses was raised in the rich opulence of Egypt.  Besides being exposed to all the many gods there, Moses was raised in the household of the pharaoh, who was thought by the people to be descended from the gods. What I'm trying to say, is that gods were commonplace for Moses.  He had to have known that the Egyptian priests removed their shoes before entering the temples. Yet, this was different. This was not a temple made of stone, with gold statues and smooth polished stone floors. This was a mountainside, full of brambles and weeds, rock and dirt. Moses immediately believed that the ground was holy and not because it was a palace or a temple, but because the holy Presence of God was there.

Also, notice that the only two times this has been stated in scripture is 1) when God is using a man to deliver his people from bondage to go to the promised land, and 2) when God is using a man to drive out the enemy and posses the promised land.   

Perhaps it's a like time marker, an act that is used to demonstrate the universal significance of the event.

i thought too, that with Joshua, meeting the One who identified Himself as "the Commander of the armies of the LORD" was his 'burning bush' experience. 
that this is the first personal encounter he has with the living God - even though he had seen the pillar of fire and smoke for 40 years, even stayed at the threshold of the tabernacle, it was Moses who went in and spoke with God. 

and yes, as you said - a very significant thing for both of them, that they were told to do this while not standing in a temple - for Moses, who had to have known customs associated with shrines etc, and for Joshua, who had intimate knowledge of the tabernacle and even a visual presence of the Lord constantly with them. here these men were, in the desert - in no place in particular. one bush among millions, one small hillock in an ocean of them. but what set these places apart and made them holy wasn't the location, it was the fact that there, God met with them, and spoke to them. 

"not on this mountain, or some other" -- but in spirit, truly ^_^

see, there is much more to this than "shoes get dirty" 
other things, i wish to uncover 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

5 hours ago, post said:

do you think the Lord will judge anyone for not removing their sandals when entering a place made holy by His presence -- or ever has judged anyone for this? 
since it is not written in the law anywhere, and if they did not hear the audible voice of God instructing them to do so? 

how "reasonable" is it, i am asking? 

is it that reasonable? is it that expected for every person to know and obey?

((because i kinda get the idea that you would be judged for this by certain orthodoxies, as though it is in fact a law, even though it is not written in scripture as a law)) 

Interestingly confusing, I was always wondering about this encounter, and what it was all about it.

"Take off your sandals, you are standing on Holly ground",

Moses was not asked to was his feet, or himself or his clothes. As a matter of observing curiosity, the Lord did not asked him to prepare himself for their meeting. 

In contrust, later the Lord told the congregation, to prepare them selfs for their meeting by fasting, washing them selfs and their cloths, and come and meet him by the mountain, and gave a warning to them, that if anyone of them or their animals touches the mountain when he comes upon the mountain will die. ..

Attention, this is only before the Cross. 

• Group:  Diamond Member

2 hours ago, Your closest friendnt said:

Attention, this is only before the Cross. 

thanks!

that is very interesting about not having been asked to prepare himself by washing - neither Joshua nor Moses. of course as Peter said of baptism, it's not the removal of filth from the body, but the answer of a good conscience toward God: a typology, a symbolic action. removing their shoes has the same sort of ritual significance as washing. 
and we are instructed to be washed but once, just as with one sacrifice, we are made holy forever; they were only told to remove their shoes once.

a sister pointed out to me also, that here after the cross, Christ washed the disciples feet, telling them that they were already clean by the word He had spoken to them, so that if they washed their feet, their whole body is clean. just as under Moses, the onus was on the Jew to wash his own feet ((as instructed to the priest)), and to bring his own sacrifices -- now our sacrifice has been presented for us, and it is Christ who washes us. 'our part' is to believe - just as Abraham's part in the covenant God made with him was not any action of his own: for he was sleeping while JAH passed through the separated parts of the animals, which sealed the promise according to the custom of the day, though the custom was that both parties of the agreement should walk together. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,096
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

,He was obviously telling both Moses & Joshua that He is Holy,Sovereign God Almighty,anywhere in His Presence is Holy        Kwik

it's not that, 
it's that i guess i didn't make my question clear. 

because the holy Presence of God was there.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     traveller

and yes, as you said 

it was the fact that there, God met with them, and spoke to them. 

I'm beginning to thing"It's just me"...............:noidea:                                 In any event,good thread                       Love,Peace-Kwik