Azizrasul

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Why does the word 'begotten' not appear in the four gospels in the original Greek?

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,767
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

If I'm not mistaken, the Greek word used means One and Only and the translators wanted to show the uniqueness of the Son of God in English, so they used the word -- only begotten Son of God.  This terminology was used to differentiate those who are born again -- who are also called "sons of God".  As it says in Romans, "For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God."   It's to show the uniqueness of Jesus as the true unique Son of God.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

8 hours ago, George said:

If I'm not mistaken, the Greek word used means One and Only and the translators wanted to show the uniqueness of the Son of God in English, so they used the word -- only begotten Son of God.  This terminology was used to differentiate those who are born again -- who are also called "sons of God".  As it says in Romans, "For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God."   It's to show the uniqueness of Jesus as the true unique Son of God.

:emot-heartbeat:

Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
Psalms 2:6-8

:emot-heartbeat:

So it's an interpretation not an exact translation then?

When I do a Boolean search for the word 'Begotten' in the NRSV in the 4 NT Gospels, no results are found.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,134
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Azizrasul

Welcome to Worthy,nice ti meet you

As George said the original Koine Greek was "one of a kind" or "one and only,",,,,,no,it is not an interpretation of a translation,it is a transliteration monogenes (adjective monogenes pais-to be more precise))defining the "phrase" or term.......this can be a Topic of contraversy but if you refer to Hebrews 11:17-19 you will see that the same words are used to define Isaac,,,,,Isaac was not Abraham's only son but he was in fact ,the "chosen" son      If it merely meant the "only" son then it would not have been worded that way,this way denotes a very unique & special value as no other     Hope that helps           With love-in Christ,Kwik

Thanks for the welcome.

Why did 50 Christian scholars of the the highest eminence and of different denominations throw the word 'begotten' out and it doesn't appear in the 4 gospels? That is the question that I am asking?

Please quote which verse in the 4 gospels the word appears.

Thanks

Wasalaam

Aziz

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Content Count:  56,061
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, Azizrasul said:

Thanks for the welcome.

Why did 50 Christian scholars of the the highest eminence and of different denominations throw the word 'begotten' out and it doesn't appear in the 4 gospels? That is the question that I am asking?

Thanks

Wasalaam

Aziz

it depends on the translation you are using.

Blessings,,,,

Your welcome,my pleasure  

As other one just answered,it does depend on what version you are using,,,,,but in my previous reply I just explained(in detail) why the word is not used to "translate",,,a trans-literation is used because it is not one word that is or can be used,,,,,,you are saying "begotten" was "thrown out",,,,,it is not thrown out ,it is not used because you simply cannot translate a word for word when more than one word is used to define something or someone,,,,,,,lin this case it is an adjective monogene that is in question

I do have a suggestion,instead of focusing on one word that may or may not have been a better description from the viewpoint of the reader,why not discuss the context? What does begotten mean?"To father or produce an offspring",,,,,

That is not enough to define WHO Jesus is & it is not what the original text is proclaiming,,,,and I did give you yet another place in Scripture where the same choice of Words are found,,,,,the ONE of a kind,ONe & ONLY denoted "special virtue",,,,,it is very specific....

It's this last phrase ("only begotten" used in the KJV, NASB and the NKJV) that causes problems. False teachers have latched onto this phrase to try to prove their false teaching that Jesus Christ isn't God; i.e., that Jesus isn't equal in essence to God as the Second Person of the Trinity. They see the word "begotten" and say that Jesus is a created being because only someone who had a beginning in time can be "begotten." What this fails to note is that "begotten" is an English translation of a Greek word. As such, we have to look at the original meaning of the Greek word, not transfer English meanings into the text.

So what does monogenes mean? According to the Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature (BAGD, 3rd Edition), monogenes has two primary definitions. The first definition is "pertaining to being the only one of its kind within a specific relationship." This is its meaning in Hebrews 11:17when the writer refers to Isaac as Abraham's "only begotten son" (KJV). Abraham had more than one son, but Isaac was the only son he had by Sarah and the only son of the covenant. Therefore, it is the uniqueness of Isaac among the other sons that allows for the use of monogenes in that context.                                                                       http://www.gotquestions.org/only-begotten-son.html

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Blessings Yown....

Yes,these also are transliterations & considered "monogenes" but they are very different to the ONLY 2 "adjective monogenes pais" found in the entire Bible & which are irrefutably separate & unique from any other.....the 2 are the same because they are defining "Chosen",not "only",as begotten can infer    "Only child" or "only one' means exactly what it says,"there is but one" as in merely "singular "     To describe Jesus &/or Isaac is unlike other monogenes,it means one & only,One of a KIND.......this is extremely significant,it depicts another meaning,exclusive                                          Praise Jesus,King of kings & Lord of lords

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Blessings Yown,,,,

Yes,I do have some knowledge in languages but I really did not want to get in to it,just responding to the OP in what seems to me to be the best way,the heart of the matter(what is significant in pointing to Jesus) rather than the details(my mom used to say"Much ado about nothing"   Our only HOPE is in Christ & as this is the "Seekers Lounge" we do what we can to spread the Gospel,,,,,,,,,,,,we can go to the Inner Court if you would like to have a word study