rollinTHUNDER

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,985
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  2

Not long ago, I was discussing my view of the rapture with another fellow believer. I shared with him that I did not believe that all Christians would be ready when the Son of man appears. He politely said that he thought I was going against scripture. Then he cited, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 as his proof text. His understanding of that passage leads him to believe that Paul was saying that all living born again Christians (we which are alive and remain) will be raptured, but is that really what the apostle Paul meant? I believe he is taking that passage out of context. So let’s take a closer look at the text.
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18"But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words."
From what I gather from the passage above, Paul is telling the Thessalonians not to be sorrowful about those who are asleep (their dead loved ones). He’s teaching them that God will bring the dead with Christ when He comes. Then he goes on to tell them that the dead in Christ will rise first, then, we which are alive and remain will be caught up together with them (the dead) in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air; and so shall we ever be with the Lord. In other words, Paul was merely comforting them about meeting their loved ones who had already passed away. Although there is some valuable information about the rapture of the living in this text, Paul’s emphasis was not on the living, but rather, the dead; and that those who were still alive and remained at that time would meet them again in the clouds. Therefore, we should comfort those believers who have lost loved ones with these words.
Many have pulled verses 16 and 17 out of context for the purpose of discussing the rapture. These two verses are probably the most popular rapture scriptures, and I have often applied them myself. They contain some valuable information, no doubt, but we must not lose sight of Paul’s intent when he said it. They were never meant to identify which living believers would be raptured, or to say that all believers will be raptured. He was clearly comforting the survivors of the dead here.
Many also teach that the apostle Paul was the first to reveal the mysterious rapture, but that is simply not true. The truth is that Paul was the one who first revealed this mystery to the Gentile believers. Christ had already taught this truth to His disciples years earlier (John 14:2-3, Matt. 24:30-31), before Paul was even converted to Christianity. So let’s take a look at what Christ said about this, which actually corresponds with what Paul said later in the passage above. Let’s compare them both below, beginning with Paul’s statement, followed by Christ’s.
1 Thessalonians 4:16-17"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."
Matthew 24:30-31"And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other."
There’s no doubt the two passages above are describing the very same event, though, there are both similarities and differences within them. I’ll discuss the similarities first, followed by the differences. First, notice that in both passages Christ or the Son of man is descending from heaven or coming in the clouds of heaven. Notice that both mention a gathering or meeting in the clouds. And notice, also, that both gatherings are preceded by the blast of a trumpet. And finally, notice that neither one mentions a physical returning to the earth at that time. Now let’s press on to the differences.
Considering the context of both passages, there’s good reason for some differences as well. First, we should take into consideration that Paul was describing both, the resurrection of the dead and the rapture of the living, as he was comforting those whose loved ones had already passed away. Christ, on the other hand, did not even mention the dead, because He was answering His disciple’s question about the sign of His coming, for those who will be alive at that time, and also the sign of the end of the age (Matt. 24:3). The dead will not need a sign, so there was no reason for Christ to mention the dead in His answer to their question. And let’s not forget the promise Christ made to His disciple’s below.
John 14:2-3"In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."
Christ was clearly the first to teach His Jewish disciple’s about the rapture. In fact, He also told them that He, Himself was the resurrection and the life. But the real question is: Did He tell them that He would rapture the entire Church, as many pastor’s and teachers claim today? And the unpopular, but truthful answer is: No, He did not say that or even anything similar. He told them that He would send the angels to gather His elect (chosen). He further illustrated this by telling them parables, saying that His coming will be like it was in the days of Noah. Then He added that two will be in the field, one shall be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding at the mill, one shall be taken and the other left. He told them about the faithful servant and the unfaithful servant, who thought His Lord had delayed His coming. Next He told them about the parable of ten virgins. Five were wise and five were foolish. And finally, He told them the parable of talents, when He would return to reward His faithful servants.
He also told them a very telling parable on another occasion. In this parable, He said that those who are watching when He comes will be blessed, and that He, Himself, will be dressed to serve, and He will have them sit down and serve them meat at the wedding supper. He said that those who are ready will rule over His household and be given meat in due season. However, in this same parable, He also mentioned the believers that will be caught unaware of His coming, and that they will be left with the unbelievers. Some of those who are not ready will receive a little punishment, and some will receive a severe punishment. Please don’t take my word for it. Read it for yourself (Luke 12:35-48), and pay close attention to verses 46, 47 and 48. In my humble opinion, Christ has made it abundantly clear that the entire Church will not be ready when He appears, regardless of what others may teach or believe.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

4 hours ago, rollinTHUNDER said:

Not long ago, I was discussing my view of the rapture with another fellow believer. I shared with him that I did not believe that all Christians would be ready when the Son of man appears.....Christ has made it abundantly clear that the entire Church will not be ready when He appears, regardless of what others may teach or believe. ..

Hi rollinTHUNDER,

Well hey there, bro. Great to see & hear you again. Now you know we don`t agree on everything, (but that`s the journey) however I always enjoy & appreciate discussing with you. Now, good topic there, one to really open up what God`s word says. So here as some of my thoughts -

CHRIST IS THE HEAD OF THE BODY.

Christ`s Body is a living organism. `God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased.` (1 Cor. 12: 18)

Christ is maturing His Body. `...till we all come to the unity of the faith & the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect (mature) man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ...grow up in all things into Him who is the Head - Christ - from whom the whole body, joined & knit together .....causes growth...` (Eph. 4: 13 - 16)

We are to hold fast to the Head - Christ. `Let no one defraud you....& not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the Body, nourished & knit together by joints & ligaments grows with the increase which is from God.` (Col. 2: 18 & 19) 

Thus I see that the Lord is telling His Body that it is a whole body that He is maturing, a whole Body that will come to the unity of the faith, a whole Body that holds fast to Him who is its Head, and a whole Body that He will come physically & connect with.

None of these truths were told to the nation of Israel as it did not concern His purpose for them.

regards, Marilyn.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,130
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  2

If one is able to abide by Matt 25: 35,36 in the future as they do now; they are ready, because they already live the life and walk and talk, and are a light to the lost.  One cannot give if they will hoard their possessions.  So what is it to be ready for the Future.  Stock up food for 7 years and not share with others in their time of need.  How far does one want to go with this.  Those with more are to share with those with less, now and in the future.

In Christ

Montana Marv

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

Will All Christian's Be Ready?

By definition all Christians are always ready or expected to be so (if they are genuine). The Rapture has nothing to do with the merits of Christians.

15 hours ago, rollinTHUNDER said:

His understanding of that passage leads him to believe that Paul was saying that all living born again Christians (we which are alive and remain) will be raptured, but is that really what the apostle Paul meant?

What else could he mean?  Did Paul (or the Lord) ever teach that only those who had some special merits would be raptured?  If all redeemed saints are in the Body of Christ (which is indivisible) then all are raptured on the MERITS OF CHRIST.

BTW. Matthew 24 has nothing to say about the Church or the Rapture. That is one huge mistake a lot of people make, simply because the word "elect" is found there. And definitely John 14:1-3 is an introduction to the Rapture, and there again it is the merits of Christ, not the merits of Christians, which guarantees them mansions in Heaven (and a lot of Christians will quibble about the word *mansions*, but if they prefer hovels, they just might get those!) :rolleyes:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,039
  • Content Per Day:  1.47
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

The parable of the wise and foolish bridesmaids makes it clear that all will not be ready. Likewise, Jesus would not have told his disciples, "pray always that you may be accounted worthy...to stand before the Son of Man" if all will be accounted worthy. Clearly, some will not.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

There is a difference in those who are born again Christians and have a daily relationship with Christ and those who are a Christian in name only. Perhaps they have never been saved. So no I do not think everyone who call themselves a Christian will go with the rapture of the Church. Will they come to Christ during the seven year tribulation? I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1

We will ALL be there, look here, does it depend on being perfect? then no-one will make it, if imperfections will stop us, well what grade of imperfection will that be? or to what level of perfection must we attain?

Will those who sleep in Christ be watching for Him? with the virgins remember they ALL slumbered and slept

"He will gather His elect...." when were we elected?

Edited by TehMill

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/15/1941

All true Christians will be ready. Those who claim to be Christians who are following man rather than God's doctrine will not. I would name some denominations whose flock will not make it, but I would rather not set this site a blaze.