IGNORED

How would you live a life of prayer most effectively?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  2

So,  if a person wants to do as much good as possible for our world through prayer,  how would you recommend they go about it?   

You would agree that certain methods of prayer,  purity of soul,  and degree of unwavering faith , love,  and fervor can get better results correct?   

Obviously,  all grace comes from God, but you would agree that still,  a person will benefit the world better from their life of prayer depending on how they pray  , right ? 

So,  if God wanted you to literally withdrawl from all people, have no job,  little social interaction with people,   to communicate with him alone , and your entire mission on earth was to move mountains and work miracles with your intercession, how would you go about it?  

What would be your daily rule of life that you feel would benefit the world most through your life of constant prayer and communion with God? 

(granted,  we are all supposed to live a life of continual prayer but some people are called to preaching and much activity while others are called to be solitary, have as few distractions as possible , with a primary vocation of intercession. )

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Joh 17:14  AMP I have given and delivered to them Your word (message) and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world [do not belong to the world], just as I am not of the world. 15  I do not ask that You will take them out of the world, but that You will keep and protect them from the evil one.    16  They are not of the world (worldly, belonging to the world), [just] as I am not of the world.   17  Sanctify them [purify, consecrate, separate them for Yourself, make them holy] by the Truth; Your Word is Truth.  18  Just as You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.  19  And so for their sake and on their behalf I sanctify (dedicate, consecrate) Myself, that they also may be sanctified (dedicated, consecrated, made holy) in the Truth.

Joh 17:20  Neither for these alone do I pray [it is not for their sake only that I make this request], but also for all those who will ever come to believe in (trust in, cling to, rely on) Me through their word and teaching,

Even intercessors aren't told to withdraw from the world the way monks do.  We are in the world but not of the world.  How can you become aware of what God wants you to pray for if you don't interact with people in the world?  Intercessors are often very much engaged with with people, sharing God's love in whatever manner God has gifted them or wherever they see needs.  It is God who puts people and situations on our hearts to pray for.  He calls our attention to them.  By praying without ceasing, we may see an auto accident and pray for all involved and their families, medical staff, officers, etc.  Once I was at an stop light and watched a parachuter dropping to the ground with an unopened chute.  I prayed for him and the family never dreaming he would survive, since I had known people who were found several feet underground in those circumstances.  But he did, I learned later.  Every bone in his body had been broken but he still trusted in God that he would walk again.  This story never hit the news, to my amazement.  Unless we are out and about in the world, encountering people who need the Lord, we will be pretty ineffective as Christians.

Monks say written prayers and repeat rosaries and Our Fathers without end.  That doesn't mean they are intercessors.  If a person is in forced isolation, like in jail, what a goldmine of people who need Jesus to pray for!.  Pray for safety and salvation of guards as well.  

By the way, praying God's promises and praying in the Spirit are the most effective ways I know to pray.  By doing this we know we are praying according to His will.  So we claim His promises and stand on His Word.  There is an old hymn: Standing On the Promises.  Amen.  So be it! 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

1 hour ago, Willa said:

Joh 17:14  AMP I have given and delivered to them Your word (message) and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world [do not belong to the world], just as I am not of the world. 15  I do not ask that You will take them out of the world, but that You will keep and protect them from the evil one.    16  They are not of the world (worldly, belonging to the world), [just] as I am not of the world.   17  Sanctify them [purify, consecrate, separate them for Yourself, make them holy] by the Truth; Your Word is Truth.  18  Just as You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.  19  And so for their sake and on their behalf I sanctify (dedicate, consecrate) Myself, that they also may be sanctified (dedicated, consecrated, made holy) in the Truth.

Joh 17:20  Neither for these alone do I pray [it is not for their sake only that I make this request], but also for all those who will ever come to believe in (trust in, cling to, rely on) Me through their word and teaching,

Even intercessors aren't told to withdraw from the world the way monks do.  We are in the world but not of the world.  How can you become aware of what God wants you to pray for if you don't interact with people in the world?  Intercessors are often very much engaged with with people, sharing God's love in whatever manner God has gifted them or wherever they see needs.  It is God who puts people and situations on our hearts to pray for.  He calls our attention to them.  By praying without ceasing, we may see an auto accident and pray for all involved and their families, medical staff, officers, etc.  Once I was at an stop light and watched a parachuter dropping to the ground with an unopened chute.  I prayed for him and the family never dreaming he would survive, since I had known people who were found several feet underground in those circumstances.  But he did, I learned later.  Every bone in his body had been broken but he still trusted in God that he would walk again.  This story never hit the news, to my amazement.  Unless we are out and about in the world, encountering people who need the Lord, we will be pretty ineffective as Christians.

Monks say written prayers and repeat rosaries and Our Fathers without end.  That doesn't mean they are intercessors.  If a person is in forced isolation, like in jail, what a goldmine of people who need Jesus to pray for!.  Pray for safety and salvation of guards as well.  

By the way, praying God's promises and praying in the Spirit are the most effective ways I know to pray.  By doing this we know we are praying according to His will.  So we claim His promises and stand on His Word.  There is an old hymn: Standing On the Promises.  Amen.  So be it! 

I don't think we have to pick a "method" of prayer.  We simply pray and trust God with the results.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I would say that they pray in the name of Jesus Christ. It is as simple as that. People make communicating with God too complicated.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  2

I understand God doesn't call people to be total recluses but John the Baptist lived for years in the wilderness and I'm assuming much of that time was spent away from people. 

In order to hear the voice of God from one's own thoughts, the mind needs to be very still and silent.

Being surrounded with noise,  distractions,  duties,  and a fast-paced lifestyle can make it difficult to listen to or hear  the Holy -spirit. 

Edited by spiderman1917

• 1 year later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

James 5:16 (AV)
16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Only way to be righteous is having Christ's righteousness imputed to our account (through faith in him).

I also believe there are some who are more compassionate for others and whose ministry is mainly prayer.

The Apostle John (according to tradition) was known as "Old Camel Knees" from all the time spent kneeling in prayer.

There was a soul winner in Europe several hundred years ago whose name escapes me had a visitor to his house when he was a way. The disappointed caller asked if he could at least see the study this man wrote great sermons in. The maid obliged. On one wall was an ink stain where he'd thrown a well at an evil spirit so manifest in his study. It all fascinated the young caller. Then he asked her how the man could be so effective in soul winning. She explained something like this: I'll show you how, kneel at the desk. The caller anxiously did as she said. Fold your hands. He did. "Now cry like a baby for the lost souls going to an eternal Christ-less hell." That's how.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,243
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 7/20/2016 at 4:53 PM, spiderman1917 said:

So,  if a person wants to do as much good as possible for our world through prayer,  how would you recommend they go about it?

I could give you my recommendations, but these are better,  God's methods;

Jas_5:16  Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
Act_6:4  But we will give ourselves
continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.
Mat_21:22  And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer,
believing, ye shall receive.
Luk_6:12  And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray,
and continued all night in prayer to God.
Eph_6:18  Praying always with all prayer and supplication
in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Php_1:4  Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request
with joy,
Mat_6:6  But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is
in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Mar_11:24  Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray,
believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
Mar_14:38 
Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.
Luk_18:1  And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought
always to pray, and not to faint;
Joh_16:26  At that day ye shall ask
in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:
Rom_8:26  Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for
we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
1Ti_2:8  I will therefore that men
pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
Psa_55:17 
Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.

1Th_5:25  Brethren, pray for us.

1Th_5:17  Pray without ceasing.

Edited by Gary Lee