Marcus O'Reillius

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  3

Americans want to get to the point.  This opening chapter should satisfy that.  “How does it all play out?” you might ask; this will lay out the whole book in a few pages.  The technique here was developed over time; it is a new paradigm in eschatology.  The work presented here is substantiated with the rest of the book for a more in-depth study.  

When we’re looking at diverse linear narratives about the end-times, it’s like a mosaic with individual pictures shuffled around the canvas. By picking specific and unique events, multiple and parallel accounts can be lined up and an overall sequence-of-events can be discerned. It’s a little like this puzzle:

In the local beauty contest, all contestants received prizes based on their standing. Jane was not first.  Alice came up immediately behind Betty. Carol scored higher than Alice but not Tiffany.   Sally lost to Betty but not Jane.  No one tied in scoring.

Can you discern the correct order the girls ended up?  (Answer coming up in an reply.)  The problem here is that we have a lot of disjointed information.  Each sentence holds only a partial bit of information and not all of it is essential to solve the puzzle.  Each sentence acts like an end-time narrative account in that it conveys information, but is not complete; individual sentences omit needed information – they skip key facts we would like to have.  The only way to arrive at the correct order is to sift through the whole and piece them together.  The Sequence-of-Events Analysis operates in this manner.

To assemble a Sequence-of-Events, major linear narratives are assembled in bullet point form, distilling descriptive language to get to the heart of the action: events.  Descriptive verses are not unimportant; they fill in necessary voids in understanding.  However, they concentrate on detail too much, so that the big picture gets lost.  Centering on the action, or events, gives a big picture perspective and end-time prophecy can be assembled as a whole in outline form.  Once the overall framework is in place, columns and beams to use and architectural analogy, walls and floors can be filled in, and then such details which distinguish one room from another more naturally find their mark. 

This aspect of going from big-to-small is how I was trained to rapidly find a deep interdiction target behind enemy lines as a fighter-pilot in the 1980’s.  “Popping up,” from our low-altitude ingress, we’d only have 3-5 seconds to acquire and target a building or infrastructure we’d never seen before except through intelligence photos.  Knowing the color of the building was not important; knowing its placement in regard to larger geological features was vital to acquiring the correct target.

The Bible is written largely as a series of linear narratives; this is the beauty of Hebrew: it is a wonderful language in which to tell a story with its word pictures and double entendre.  In the Bible, especially its historical books, events are laid out in linear fashion.  Much of prophecy does not share that aspect; Isaiah and Zechariah are two books which present prophecy in a Kaleidoscope fashion.  However, there are books and passages in prophecy which do conform to linearity of narrative.  These make up the main portion which forms the framework for the Sequence of Events.

End-time prophetic books and passages which are set as a linear narrative are as follows:

1. The book of Revelation, which itself is a series of parallel accounts

2. The book of Daniel with its various individual visions

3. The Olivet Discourse in the Synoptic Gospel accounts

4. Paul’s letters to the Thessalonians.

This preview will not be able to fully develop all the tools being used in the book; that follows in painstaking detail.  Various aspects tools of interpretation such as linearity, specific and unique events, multiple accounts, parallel accounts, gaps, dual focus will be glossed over in this opening section.  In addition, some word study, while done in the rest of the book will be largely omitted in this brief synopsis. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,987
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  4

I'll give it a shot:

• Tiffany
  • Carol
  • Betty
  • Alice
  • Sally
  • Jane

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Marcus,

I agree with Last Daze. BTW I love logic puzzles, Marcus. Looking forward to what you have to say. I also learnt to fly & appreciate somewhat your skill in `popping up` through terrain.

Marilyn.

2 hours ago, Last Daze said:

I'll give it a shot:

• Tiffany
  • Carol
  • Betty
  • Alice
  • Sally
  • Jane

Very good Last Daze!

Marilyn: I'll start on it shortly.  It's 38 or 39 pages, it'll take a dozen or so posts putting out one section at a time.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,987
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  4

13 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

BTW I love logic puzzles

A kindred spirit . . .

The Olivet Discourse

The keystone for the Sequence of Events is Jesus’ prophetic Olivet Discourse.  This passage is the fifth major discourse of the book of Matthew as it is constructed.  This discourse also follows parallel construction with a broad overview beginning with Jesus’ answer to the disciple’s question at Mt 24:4 leading to the “end” at verse 14.  A detailed parallel account follows which gets to the same “end,” namely the gathering of the Elect.  The detailed parallel portion of the Olivet Discourse, covering the final end of the Church Age, reveals five specific and unique events which are the bridge between the one ‘seven’ of the book of Daniel and the chronology of the Seals/Trumpets in the book of Revelation.

Mt 24:15 "So when you see standing in the holy place 'the abomination that causes desolation,' spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand— 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.  17 Let no one on the housetop go down to take anything out of the house.  18 Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak.  19 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers!  20 Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath.  21 For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again.  22 "If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened.  23 At that time if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Messiah!' or, 'There he is!' do not believe it.  24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.  25 See, I have told you ahead of time.  26 "So if anyone tells you, 'There he is, out in the wilderness,' do not go out; or, 'Here he is, in the inner rooms,' do not believe it.  27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.  28 Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.  29 "Immediately after the distress of those days " 'the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.'  30 "Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.  31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.  (NIV)

Analysis from a sequence of events point of view:

v. 15 – abomination (of) desolation standing in the Holy Place.
v. 16 – prayer for those in Judea (future Remnant)
v. 17 – warning to those in Judea
v. 18 – warning to those in Judea
v. 19 – descriptive
v. 20 – warning prayer for those in Judea
v. 21 – “unequaled” great tribulation
v. 22 – it is shortened for the sake of the Elect
v. 23 – warning to the Elect
v. 24 – warning to the Elect
v. 25 – declaration of prophetic truth
v. 26 – warning to the Elect
v. 27 – description of Jesus’ parousia (Greek for “coming”)
v. 28 – cryptic message (dealing with the nature of the Rapture)
v. 29 – immediately after great tribulation – (sequencing) – sun/moon/star event
v. 30 – sign of Son of Man
                        – Son of Man coming on the clouds
v. 31 – gathering of the Elect from the earth.

Dealing only with events; descriptive verses, simple declarations, various warnings and prayers are dropped.  This distills the passage down to the actions which will happen.  Taking just the simplest elements does not eliminate some of the other aspects… it’s just that they are not germane to the main plot in constructing the basic framework for a singular chronology.  However, some important elements can later be woven into the sequence of events to cover some of the side issues which are present in the end-times, like concerning “those in Judea.”  The order of events as Jesus listed the main ones are:

v. 15  Midpoint Abomination, which adds: standing in the “Holy Place”
v. 21  Great Tribulation, which is shortened by the:
v. 29  Sun/moon/star event, which heralds the Day of the Lord
v. 30  Sign of the Son of Man
v. 30  The Son of Man coming on the clouds
v. 31  Gathering Elect from the clouds

This linear narrative has five, important, specific and unique events in their proscribed order with the added benefit of having joining time stamps in two of them.  This passage is the Keystone Passage for the Sequence of Events because it allows the harmonization of Daniel’s one ‘seven’ to the broad overview of the end-times in Revelation with the Seal/Scroll chronology. 

The aspects of those in Judea fleeing, the bit of cryptic information about carcasses, and even the sign of the Son of Man are important and have a place in the final analysis, however, for simplicity’s sake this list boils down the Olivet Discourse’s detailed portion to its essential elements which are not only specific and unique, but are repeated in the Bible in other linear narratives.  This makes the Olivet Discourse the Keystone Passage because it has five crucial, specific and unique events culminating in the Rapture of the Church – which is everyone’s key interest.  What is interesting is that Jesus adds crucial information as well about the midpoint abomination which marries with another linear narrative in Paul’s second letter to the Thessalonians.  Because of the details in each; there is a perfect match.  Likewise, Jesus gives two important time elements: first the Great Tribulation is shortened, and immediately after it comes the sun/moon/star event.

This first breakdown of the Olivet Discourse, which is my keystone passage for eschatology, demonstrates the manner in which I distill the Word into basic, action components which describe events.

This BIG to small approach is how I was trained to find point targets in a limited time in a high-speed environment.

The events are the big points.  It is important in building a structure to first focus on the basic support system,

• The foundation for my eschatology is a literal approach.  
  • Then, the big events act as pillars and beams which support the roof.  
  • After that, then floors, walls, and ceilings can be installed; accompanying New and Old Testament prophecies will fit in place.
  • Finally, we have all the fine details that make a building a home, such as furniture, pictures, and what not - the descriptive details we first leave out.

When I can find a specific and unique event, like the Midpoint abomination - then I can weld one linear narrative to another around that common point.
That I will do next, after I get some painting in, and give time to folk to digest what I'm starting here.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  2

Just as long as you do not shorten the last 3 1/2 year period.

In my grandfathers "day", it would take a man 30 "days" to walk across Montana, walking only during the "day".  A point of interest.  One could walk much further during the summer months.  More daylight.

What do those "days" refer to?  Those days being shortened.

In Christ

Montana Marv

3 hours ago, Montana Marv said:

What do those "days" refer to?  Those days being shortened.

The days of the Great Tribulation.  How long could you last without being able to buy food while all the while they're hunting you down?

The second half of the one 'seven' runs its full course.  Most of it contains the Wrath of God, which, according to Revelation 14:17-20, comes right after the Harvest of Rev 14:14-16; and to which the Harvest marries with Mt 24:30-31.  The Wrath of God is omitted from the Olivet Discourse; that does not mean it isn't there.  Perhaps Jesus excludes it because it does not pertain to us.

Daniel 9:27

Another major, prophetic, linear narrative which should be foundational for anyone's eschatology is Daniel 9:26-27.  Looking only at the second verse for the moment is the one ‘seven’ which has yet to be fulfilled (despite some eschatological schools’ opinions to the contrary).

27  He will confirm a covenant with many for one 'seven.'  In the middle of the 'seven' he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him."

The word “confirm” comes to us from the King James, and translators for 400 years have stuck with an obsolete meaning; “confirm” has too much positive connotation to accurately portray how the Hebrew word, “gabar” is being used.  While as a verb, gabar simply means “to prevail,” but as stated, “forced” best fits the action.  The inflected verb is in the third person so it includes a pronoun and that reverts, according to Hebrew grammar, to the last person mentioned: in this case, the “ruler who will come.”

Likewise, in the second sentence up to the prepositional phrase “…until the end…” the original Hebrew is extremely difficult reading literally: “on wing – abominations – desolation.”  The reader should understand that all the other words (thirteen in this case versus four in the Hebrew) are added in translation.  This difficult passage reminds me of another passage in Daniel where God writes: “MENE, MENE, TEKEL, PARSIN.”  These simple words were undecipherable by the wisest of Belshazzar’s advisers. 

Widely accepted as “abomination of desolation,” the word “kanap,” “wing,” has led to various interpretations.  The NIV here concludes it is in the Temple, but that blends the Olivet Discourse’s reference to the Holy Place with Paul’s 2nd Thessalonians’ chapter 2.  In an earlier edition, the NIV stated the abomination was placed in a “wing” of the Temple, but the Temple doesn’t have “wings” like the White House.  Both editions of the NIV lose the meaning of “wing.”  The King James uses the word figuratively, which is allowed in the picture language of Hebrew: “overshadowing.”  “Wings” have multiple figurative meanings, like “power” as well.  I prefer yet another figurative use for wing which matches another Daniel account about what I think is the same timeframe in Daniel 11:45-12:1 where the King of the North rushes out like a flood, i.e.: “quickly.”

Blending in Daniel 11:45, which matches Luke 21:20 for a moment, the King of the North encamps around Jerusalem with his army.  This means that during a time of “peace,” he has invaded the Holy Land.  Rather than an overshadowing of abominations, this midpoint development happens rapidly when overwhelming force literally floods the land and brings the ruler who will come to the apex of his meteoric rise: being crowned as a god in the Temple and presented with a talking image of himself.

The breakdown of Daniel 9:27 then centers around three actions covered within it:

• Covenant with many prevailed by the (Roman) ruler who will come.
  • Midpoint Abomination
  • End of one ‘seven’ with desolations poured out on the desolator.

Now, between the Olivet Discourse and Daniel, the easy match, provided by Jesus and referencing Daniel, is the midpoint abomination.  Since the Great Tribulation is shortened, (literally, amputated in the Greek as in to “dock” an animal’s tail) it's fairly easy to see that the Sun/moon/star event comes well before the end, since lengthening the Great Tribulation to the rest of the one ‘seven’ begs the question as to how Christians could live without substance while being literally hunted down; and so, I'll sequence it that way.

• Covenant with many prevailed by the Roman ruler who will come.
  • Midpoint Abomination
  • Great Tribulation
  • Sun/moon/star event.
  • Sign of the Son of Man
  • The Son of Man coming on the clouds
  • Gathering Elect from the clouds
  • End of one seven with desolations poured out on the Roman desolator.

Let's include Luke's take in chapter 21. He has a slightly different sequence:

• Armies surround Jerusalem
  • Great Tribulation
  • Signs in the Sun, moon, and stars
  • Stand up: Redemption

Between the middle two events, we have some different descriptions.

As the anti-Christ has to arrive at Jerusalem before being presented with the talking image of himself in the Temple, the armies surrounding Jerusalem is on the eve of the midpoint abomination. This would align the Ezekiel invasion of Israel to this movement of troops, i.e., the anti-Christ is the one who breaks the peace treaty he forced upon Israel. By dismantling her defenses (because she used a nuke?) he was finally able to conquer this thorn in his side...

The “stand up” / Redemption is the Gathering of the Elect. So putting the lists together brings:

• Covenant with many prevailed by the Roman ruler who will come
  • Armies surround Jerusalem
  • Midpoint Abomination
  • Great Tribulation
  • Sun/moon/star event
  • Sign of the Son of Man
  • The Son of Man coming on the clouds
  • Redemption / Gathering Elect from the clouds
  • End of one seven with desolations poured out on the Roman desolator

Now to work up to Revelations' parallel accounts.

Edited by Marcus O'Reillius