• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  237
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/27/1974

What is a pastor?

What makes a person a pastor or priest for that matter?

A government sponsored certificate that allows you to take money from a congregation?

Who is your Teacher, what does The Word say?

Dont get me wrong, SOME out there are called to be a pastor, MOST call themselves.

People place alot of faith in a visible man and not enough in the invisible God.

Love you guys, peace.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Just a Mirror said:

Dont get me wrong, SOME out there are called to be a pastor, MOST call themselves.

I would like to address this one:  Every pastor I have ever know has been called by God to be a pastor. The pastor of the church I use to attend before I had to move out of state, was called by God to to a pastor at the age of 45. He did not want to be a pastor. He hated school and had no desire to go to school to learn how to be a pastor. He try to ignore God's calling on his life but could not. While we was trying to ignore God's calling he took other jobs. Every job he took he ended. He finely gave into God and answered his call to be a pastor. My understanding is pastor don't make a whole lot of money. They are oncall 24hrs 7 days a week. Whenever someone is in the hospital they are there. If someone calls in the middle of the night in need of something. They are there. The have the responsibility lay on them by God to lead the flock.  A lot of people expect pastors to be blameless never allowed to make any kind of mistake. A lot of people expect pastors to have all the answers and they go to them for answers. A pastor has to do their best to answer  them.

Edited by LadyKay

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

A Pastor is someone who has spiritual care over a congregation. A shepherd of God's flock. A Pastor has been through seminary.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

46 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

A Pastor has been through seminary.

Not necessarily.  You won't find that in Scripture.

2 hours ago, Just a Mirror said:

What is a pastor?

The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversightthereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

• Group:  Advanced Member

My question of course related to the global church as a whole, strictly percentages. I believe that there a whole lot more bad shepards than what the average churchgoer believes.

Now, the term bad is relevant to your reality here on the plane. My bad is very broad. Meaning a pastor can goto "school" can mean well, be faithful and loving, everything you believe qualifies him as a pastor, but being a pastor was not his calling. 

Those types count too in my opinion. I guess ive just seen seemingly good pastors, turn into king Saul.

Wow, I never thought of that!!!

King Saul of course was the first King of Israel, he fit the "kingly" role perfectly, he seemed the perfect man for the job, in everyway, and he was honestly a good man at the beginning.

But he was chosen because of his faults as well as his qualities

He started off a man of Gods heart, and ended because of pride. Fear was his motivation, not love.

When it came time for him to humble himself before God, to step down and let Gods will be done, make way for the Chosen of God, Fear took hold, then Pride grabbed on, then Anger was aroused from its slumber, then evil Schemes are whispered, and Revenge it seems against a man, yet it is Revenge against God, let His will be done.

As is with all bad shepards they are revealed by their Pride.

Soo with a man who is not called to pastor a flock, who when confronted by a brighter light, fears for his lofty standing, and tries to veil that light, whispering to himself, "He will do better afar."

Those shepards are evident by the leadership of the church.

But nothing is hidden from I AM

Those ones will be held accountable.

---Let it be done on earth as in heaven.

Peace to you.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

39 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Not necessarily.  You won't find that in Scripture.

I would not go to a Church if the senior Pastor has not been through a seminary and possibly even have a doctorate. The more education the better for leading his flock towards the Word of God. A person without a formal training and schooling would perhaps be a good teacher but I would prefer a formal training from a pastor of a Church .

• Group:  Advanced Member

15 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I would not go to a Church if the senior Pastor has not been through a seminary and possibly even have a doctorate. The more education the better for leading his flock towards the Word of God. A person without a formal training and schooling would perhaps be a good teacher but I would prefer a formal training from a pastor of a Church .

I tell you the truth, true pastors are not formed by men, nor schooled by men. Knowledge puffeth up,  Seminary qualifies you as a history teacher, nothing more.

You had the learning of the Pharisees, Saducees, scribes and lawyers, yet NONE of them had what John had, out in the wilderness.

Think twice before you let man sway your faith.

4 hours ago, missmuffet said:

That may be your personal preference, but what saith the Scripture?  And the apostles themselves were scorned as unlearned men.  I guess you would not be too happy having an apostle come and preach to you.

6 hours ago, Yowm said:

A pastor is one who has a heart for his sheep and feeds them food that is good for them. He does not leave the sheep for selfish gain or when things get a little rough.

He also protects the sheep from wolves (liars and such)

Well said.  In connection with these observations we have this passage (Ezek 34:1-12) and is applicable to many churches:

1And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,

2Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel, prophesy, and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD unto the shepherds; Woe be to the shepherds of Israel that do feed themselves! should not the shepherds feed the flocks?

3Ye eat the fat, and ye clothe you with the wool, ye kill them that are fed: but ye feed not the flock.

4The diseased have ye not strengthened, neither have ye healed that which was sick, neither have ye bound up that which was broken, neither have ye brought again that which was driven away, neither have ye sought that which was lost; but with force and with cruelty have ye ruled them.

5And they were scattered, because there is no shepherd: and they became meat to all the beasts of the field, when they were scattered.

6My sheep wandered through all the mountains, and upon every high hill: yea, my flock was scattered upon all the face of the earth, and none did search or seek after them.

7Therefore, ye shepherds, hear the word of the LORD;

8As I live, saith the Lord GOD, surely because my flock became a prey, and my flock became meat to every beast of the field, becausethere was no shepherd, neither did my shepherds search for my flock, but the shepherds fed themselves, and fed not my flock;

9Therefore, O ye shepherds, hear the word of the LORD;

10Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against the shepherds; and I will require my flock at their hand, and cause them to cease from feeding the flock; neither shall the shepherds feed themselves any more; for I will deliver my flock from their mouth, that they may not be meat for them.

11For thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out.

12As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.