I am struggling

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I've been a believer now for about 10 months, and some people around me say that they've never seen a person change as much as I have. While it's very encouraging, I don't see it the same as everyone else. I gave into lustful temptations for the first 6 or 7 months in my walk. The last time this happened, I felt such incredible guilt and fear it was literally throwing my heartbeat out of rhythm. It would flutter and at times it even felt as if was about to stop. For a week this lasted, all day long. I would rather die than give into that temptation again. 

Christ is all I think about, all day everyday. It's been like this for the past 4 months or so, he absolutely dominates my thoughts. However there are days were I battle myself over my belief. Terrible thoughts/doubts about certain parts of scripture that I know are not true will torment me. I'm constantly going over in my mind all the miracles that Christ performed, and all the prophecies he fulfilled. It's almost like I'm witnessing to myself, if that makes any sense. 

I don't feel/hear the Holy Spirt much in my life. Either I'm so oblivious to his guidance that I don't even realize it, or something worse. However there has been a couple of instances in the last few months when I've felt a strong urge to either do or to not do something. I prayed about a certain decision I had to make, and I felt a strong urge to not go down a certain path.(I didn't) I just want to do everything I possibly can to avoid being like those poor people in Matthew 7:23. There's nothing more terrifying than that. 

"Also ask Jesus Christ to help you with the temptation. It would be a good idea to avoid places and as possible people who are getting you into sexual immorality trouble."

I pray for this daily, and I've gone to great lengths to avoid all manner of sexual immorality. I rarely ever watch tv anymore, it is full of perversion and covetousness.

"It sounds like you have done well with the Gospels, have you ventured into the rest of the New Testament yet? Different things work for different people, but I found the part of the NT from Acts to Jude helped me a lot."

I'm actually reading Acts right now. I've listened to the entire NT, but this is the first I've actually read it all the way through.

19 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

If you are open to it, I am also going to recommend the Life Application Study Bible. Please don't let the title put you off; that version has brief character studies and brief study guides that really help the Bible make sense when you're reading it for the first time. A Life Application NIV was my first Bible, and it was a huge help for me.

Im reading a devotional bible that also has applications and explanations in it. I'll look into your suggestion though, I'm all for simplicity. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

My husband said he felt worse after a year as a Christian than he did before he was saved,  Why? because we are seeing more and more of the imperfections that need to go.  And we don't change overnight in stubborn habits.  

All that Bluebird said is very good.  I also have a yellow waxy highlighter for the verses that stand out to me, and I make notes in my Bible from sermons.  Some people journal answers to prayer and milestones.  Hubby has one for the first time he worked on the plumbing without cussing.  

Do mark and memorize 1 John 1:8-9

1Jn 1:8 WEB If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.  1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us the sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Jesus said He would never leave us or forsake us.  But everyone has times that they just don't feel spiritual at all.  And after we have been working around unsaved people for any time we can come away feeling like we need a shower.  Slowly we learn to pray without ceasing, and to see the lost with pity and compassion.  God transforms our minds and washes and renews us with His word.  

We should never measure ourselves by others but only compare ourselves with Jesus.  So we will never be perfect in our lifetime, but God is constantly changing us to be more like Him.  It is good if we can't see it.  It keeps us humble.  We should never dwell on our failings but just confess it and thank Jesus for what He will do to help us and cleanse us.  Then we need to get our eyes back on Him and continue doing what we know He wants us to do.  Love, forgive, and serve.

Blessings,

Willa

6 hours ago, Bluebird said:

If you can share what your questions about the Lord and about Christianity are at this point, I can probably suggest a good place to look. 

Matthew 7:21 KJV
[21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 12:50 KJV
[50] For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

What does it means to do his will?

Luke 13:24 KJV
[24] Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

If salvation is believing in Christ, why does the Lord say "Strive to enter"? To me that would indicate that salvation is attained after a lifetime of faithfulness.

Hebrews 6:4-6 KJV
[4] For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, [5] And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, [6] If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

I don't even like reading this verse, it pierces my heart nearly ever time I read it. Many times I've felt like this has happened to me, because I still struggle with adulterous and malicious thoughts, and I can't overcome them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

On 7/25/2016 at 6:32 PM, Kelby said:

However there has been a couple of instances in the last few months when I've felt a strong urge to either do or to not do something. I prayed about a certain decision I had to make, and I felt a strong urge to not go down a certain path.(I didn't)

Kelby. Welcome.

Looks like you are on the right track.  Each time you have a strong urge to do what is right, or helpful, or kind, just do it.  That is God at work in your life.  Don't get too self-absorbed. Focus on others.

Guest Robert
2 hours ago, Kelby said:

Matthew 7:21 KJV
[21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 12:50 KJV
[50] For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

What does it means to do his will?

Luke 13:24 KJV
[24] Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

If salvation is believing in Christ, why does the Lord say "Strive to enter"? To me that would indicate that salvation is attained after a lifetime of faithfulness.

Hebrews 6:4-6 KJV
[4] For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, [5] And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, [6] If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

I don't even like reading this verse, it pierces my heart nearly ever time I read it. Many times I've felt like this has happened to me, because I still struggle with adulterous and malicious thoughts, and I can't overcome them.

Hey Kelby,

I used to wrestle with this verse as well, terrified that I had permanently blown my salvation. I finally understood that God wasn't waiting to "drop the boom" on me, as so to speak>

This is where reading the verses in context really helps out (I'll work with the KJV for you on this):

"Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this will we do, if God permit. For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God: But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned." (Hebrews 6:1-8, KJV, emphasis mine)

Taking a close look at this, keep in mind that the Author of Hebrews was writing to Jewish Believers living at the time. As we found out in Paul's letters, Judaizers were traveling around the region trying to convince folks that they had to keep the Jewish ceremonial laws and whatnot (which gave Paul and the other Apostles some headaches!). What this passage is talking about are those who had come to the Lord and had begun to trust in the way of Christ, but shrank back and decided. They have only tasted: they did not come ALL the way to salvation.

As for the passage of Luke that you quoted: we "strive to enter" not because Christ's sacrifice is insufficient, but because we walk with God. He doesn't drag us along behind Him like we're a dog that doesn't want to go to the vet, but He patiently walks with us, carries us when we are weak, and keeps us from running on too far ahead.

Finally (and I apologize profusely for this being in inverse order), what is God's will? A good start is coming to the Lord, as Jesus told us repeatedly in scripture to repent.

We all struggle with sin Kelby; anyone who says they don't is denying what John said in 1 John chapter 1:

"This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." (1 John 1: 5-10, KJV, emphasis mine)

A good place to start reading also is Romans 6-8, which details our walk with the Lord. While we should not take God's forgiveness as permission to sin, we do struggle against a sin-filled world, the Adversary (Satan) and the Flesh (or "the old man" as scripture calls it). While we all don't necessarily struggle with the same sins, we all have things in this life that give us trouble.

I hope this helps. :) Please feel free to ask me anything else.

-YBIC,

-Robert

51 minutes ago, RobertS said:

What this passage is talking about are those who had come to the Lord and had begun to trust in the way of Christ, but shrank back and decided. They have only tasted: they did not come ALL the way to salvation.

But can it also be applied to our present time? I worry at times whether or not I've   completely trusted in the Lord. I have days when I believe and have absolutely no doubt. Then there are some days it almost feels like something is hindering my belief, like a brick wall in my path. My grandmother tells me all the time I'm too hard on myself, perhaps she's right. 

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

I am thinking I need to ask a pastor I know who really knows the Greek about the Hebrews Scripture. I will contact him and get you an answer ASAP, I promise. Hang in there, Kelby ((hugs)) In Christ, Bluebird

I asked my friend, and he's going to look into it and e-mail me. I should have an answer not later than the next couple of days.

I appreciate it, and I thank all of you for your help. There is a ton on my mind right now, its like a constant war in my head. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

There is a war.  Satan never likes it when we come to faith in God and he throws all kinds of doubts and temptations your way.  Look at Jesus.  He got baptized and immediately was led into the wilderness to be tempted.  

Eph 6:10  Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of his might.

Eph 6:11  Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Eph 6:12  For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world’s rulers of the darkness of this age, and against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Eph 6:13  Therefore put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and, having done all, to stand.

Eph 6:14  Stand therefore, having the utility belt of truth buckled around your waist, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,

Eph 6:15  and having fitted your feet with the preparation of the Good News of peace;

Eph 6:16  above all, taking up the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the evil one.

Eph 6:17  And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

Eph 6:18  with all prayer and requests, praying at all times in the Spirit, and being watchful to this end in all perseverance and requests for all the saints: