• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Over the years especially in the work place, and now nearly everywhere I hear people using foul / filthy language every day. Mostly saying, Holy - this, and holy - that, and holy - something else," the words this, and that, and something else, being very foul / filthy language. Both men and women, and even younger teens, and I know most don't even know their doing it. Its become a habit, a second language.

I'm thinking, could this be blaspheming the Holy Spirit as the Scriptures warn?

Mark 3:28-29, Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: V. 29, But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

When blaspheming the Holy Spirit, God says one hath never forgiveness but is in danger of eternal damnation. To never be forgiven would guarantee eternal damnation.

To call something filthy, holy (****), is that blaspheming the Holy Spirit?

When I overhear strangers speak like this I immediately pray God forgive them for they know not what they are saying.

Thoughts ?

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

In Matt 12 we read:

31“Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32“Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Notice, that Jesus says "Therefore". We should "therefore" look to see what Jesus just said.

In the context of the conversation, the Pharisees said:

24 But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “This man casts out demons only by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons.”

What the Pharisees just did, was to accused Jesus of being in league, with  Satan, in other words, they where saying that Jesus was casting out demons, bye the power of an unholy spirit. Basically, they just said that Jesus was possessed, or influenced. This is therefore blaspheming the Holy Spirit, bye calling Him unholy.

We, in one sense, if we have died not having submitted to Christ, committed a sin, which will never be pardoned, but it is just like all of the other sins that people commit, throughout their lives. We do not lose salvation, because we one day lied, for example, we do not become sinners by sinning. We sin, because we are sinners, it is what we all do, and what we all need to be, forgiven of.

Jesus here, is expressing though, that those who blaspheme God by calling Him unholy, will not be forgiven, not ever, there are eternally lost. All sorts of sins will be forgiven, murder, lying, sexual immorality, thievery, etc. but God has chosen not to forgive people who blaspheme His Spirit.

Here, the Pharisees knew the scriptures. They knew that the prophets, spoke of the Holy One of Israel, the Messiah. They knew he would be born in Bethlehem, would be a teacher of parables, would perform miracles, they even knew that He would be called God amoung men, and they even knew that there would be a sign, that He would be born of a virgin.

They had all the evidence they needed, to figure out He who was standing in there midst, but they refused Him, and called him demonic.

This is, what I believe Jesus was referring to, when He spoke of their blasphemy.

"When I overhear strangers speak like this I immediately pray God forgive them for they know not what they are saying.

Thoughts ? "

So, I would indeed, pray for such people who are acting ignorantly, that their eyes would be open, and that they might be forgiven. However, IF saying those sort of things is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, then you are wasting your breath, for Jesus said that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, will NEVER be forgiven. He could not say it any more strongly, nor with any more certainty, than that.

I personally believe that in this day and age one can't blaspheme the Holy Spirit. At the time that Christ made His statement, it was because the Pharisees were attributing Christ's miracles to Satan or "Beelzebub". Since Christ is no longer living in Israel performing miracles, and there are no longer any Pharisees attributing them to Satan, there is no more blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

My second supposition is that there are many born again Christians who use the phrase Holy........, and since one cannot loose their salvation, it cannot be blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. The only unforgivable sin is the sin of rejecting the free gift of salvation that GOD offers mankind through HIS Son Jesus Christ.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  3

Lets straighten this out..

We have to use LOGIC with this question, as often  scriptures seem "confused" because we are not thinking logically.

So, what is the unpardonable sin?

Well, if we realize that the blood of Jesus cleanses us from ALL sins..............hummmmmmmmm.,...... and that God never remembers them..... Hebrews 8:12

See it?

So, the unpardonable sin is very simple to understand.......its the sin of not being pardoned,...= by choice.

In other words, what is the one sin that cant be forgiven?...........It is the sin of rejecting pardon... of rejecting forgiveness.....as how can you be pardoned, if you reject it?

So, the unpardonable sin, is the sin of not being pardoned.. of not being forgiven, = by choice....and that is "Christ rejection".

The Christ Rejector has committed the unpardonable sin, as they have rejected God's forgiveness, = the ONE SIN that cant be "pardoned".

As how can God pardon you, (forgive you)  if you reject pardon?.... = the one sin that cant be pardoned. = "unpardonable sin". = to REJECT Christ.

This is why Jesus told you that "if you do not believe that He is the Messiah, the Savior....... then "you will DIE in your SINS"...= unpardoned= .. "unpardonable sin".

Edited by Behold

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,011
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  4

Blasphemy is defined as: the act or offense of speaking sacrilegiously about God or sacred things; profane talk.

We know that out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.  Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit stems from a heart condition that is in direct opposition to the work of the Holy Spirit to convict people of their sins which leads to repentance.

As long as someone harbors animosity in their heart toward the things of God, as the Pharisees did, they shut the door to their only hope for forgiveness, the Spirit's conviction.  Its not the words that are unforgivable, its the underlying heart condition that prevents repentance and subsequently the forgiveness of sins.

Unless there is a change of heart, there can be no conviction.  If there is no conviction, there is no repentance.  If there is no repentance there is no forgiveness of sins.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is not a one-time utterance that damns someone to hell.  Its a heart that persists in opposing the things of God.  As long as that condition exists, there can be no forgiveness because there is forgiveness in no one else.

Its my conviction that a believer is incapable of this sin.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  3

23 minutes ago, Last Daze said:

Its my conviction that a believer is incapable of this sin.

Or as someone said......"if you want to blaspheme the Holy Spirit, then go WAY back in time, become a hyper religious jewish "scribe, and actually watch Jesus healing people,..and then tell Jesus to His Face, ...  YOU are doing those miracles by the power of the devil that is IN YOU"....

Simple really, if you have a time machine, and you dont forget  to become a hyper religious scribe before you say all that to Jesus's face..

Edited by Behold

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 7/27/2016 at 5:30 PM, Bluebird said:

If memory serves, blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the unforgivable sin, so I don't think misusing the word holy is it. Not to downplay offensive language though :blink:

My understanding of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is attributing something the accuser knows or should know is from the Lord as being from satan. Note Mark 3: 22-30 where this issue comes up(The "teachers of the law" are called "Torah Teachers" by Messianic Jews. It was their responsibility to understand the things of God well enough to teach them. They very much should have recognized that Jesus Christ had all the standard signs of a Prophet in the Old Testament sense.):

22 And the teachers of the law who came down from Jerusalem said, “He is possessed by Beelzebul! By the prince of demons he is driving out demons.”

23 So Jesus called them over to him and began to speak to them in parables: “How can Satan drive out Satan? 24If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come. 27 In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man’s house. 28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”

30 He said this because they were saying, “He has an impure spirit.”

No it's not... My grandma always use the term " holy cow" when she was shocked or surprised.  I kind of picked it up and have never felt it to be blasphemy. I don't use four letter words but I know some people who are Christians that do.  I figure that is between them and God.  I had two friends who used the famous "f" word.  it flowed out of them like water.  I just simply asked that they not use it around me and they stopped.  

When Christians do use bad language, I will bring it up in a gentle way, but if it continues I just won't be around them.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  57
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is to defy, deny Him when He appeals to you to confess Jesus as your Savior. If you go to your grave defying and denying His call, you are doomed forever, no 2nd chance, no appeal. Doomed for eternity. That's it.

Edited by Dok

Guest shiloh357

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a deliberate attempt to injure the Holy Spirit's reputation.  Blasphemy is the same as slander.

It is unforgivable, not because it is so heinous that God cannot forgive it, but because the person committing the sin is irretrievably wicked and has nothing in him that makes him willing to repent and ask for forgiveness.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,175
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

I have heard that `blaspheming the Holy Spirit,` is also assigning to the Holy Spirit, activity, behaviour that is not of the Holy Spirit. For example the weird manifestations that came out of the so called, `Toronto blessing,` - all demonic.

Marilyn.