When the sincere disagree

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I've been thinking recently about  how God calls people in different ways and how God's ways are not our ways.  Can two different people be following God and yet disagree? What does that look like?

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,461
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,742
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

2 hours ago, Endtime_Survivors said:

Can two different people be following God and yet disagree? What does that look like?

I hope that happens all the time on WCF! :)  I disagree with a lot -- however, I don't let that interfere with my love for someone.  Once you are so engaged in a disagreement that your love is lost, it's because Pride has entered into the picture.   Remember what Proverbs says,

Proverbs 13:10  Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom. 

In the Modern KJV,

Proverbs 13:10  Only by pride comes argument, but with those who take advice is wisdom. 

So if you're driven by love -- then you should be able to agree to disagree without any offense being taken.  At least one would hope! ;)

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

3 hours ago, Endtime_Survivors said:

I've been thinking recently about  how God calls people in different ways and how God's ways are not our ways.  Can two different people be following God and yet disagree? What does that look like?

Think about like this, if we were always all in agreement there would be very little need for us to exercise grace. One of the most powerful witnesses we have is the ability to still love another whilst disagreeing about truths that are very precious to us. Now, i think it very sad that we often fail in this and resort to ad-hom and various logical fallacies as we try to defend those precious truths - but that just shows how much more grace we all need. Every disagreement is an opportunity to grow in grace and demonstrate the love of the Lord Jesus.

A second point to consider is that disagreements should take us back to the word of God.  Every time I come across an opinion that I disagree with is an opportunity to have my understanding challenged, I should go to the word of God and allow it to show me the truth, either I will be confirmed in my understanding or I will altar it -  again we not very good at this, sadly we tend to jump to our set of 'proof texts' and if we are not careful all we have achieved is setting scripture against scripture - is it any wonder those in the world don't think the bible makes sense or that it is full of contradictions - we present it like that every time we simply proof text against 'an opponent'. We do much better when we actually interact with the texts others have posted to show how they are compatible with our own position. 

As for the possibility of two people disagreeing, clearly it does happen, when we are talking theology there are several reasons for it, we all approach scripture in a context and with certain presuppositions and understandings - these things all frame our understanding of God's word and influence our interpretations of the text.  We are all under different ministries - listening to people with different presuppositions and understandings - this enforces the understandings we have added to this are those who do not study the bible but like what a certain teacher has to say it means, then there are those who have various agendas that might influence their teaching/understanding  - in short we all start from different places, and we are all under didn't influences as we seek to grow in understanding - the reality is we will arrive in heaven and be surprised by just how little we knew, and probably by how little we got right (salvation is by grace, not understanding after all)

As for how disagreement should look, well as I have implied that is very different from how it often does look - Christians should be able to have frank discussions on points of disagreement where we respect each other enough to interact with their arguments (rather the strawmanning them) and where we demonstrate our love and unity in the essentials of the gospel - to be honest if we can't do that we are better off keeping our mouths shut and not disagreeing (or at least keeping that disagreement to ourselves).    

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  237
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  04/27/1974

3 hours ago, Endtime_Survivors said:

Let's think on why we disagree? What do you think is the reason for disagreements?

• Steward

3 minutes ago, Just a Mirror said:

Let's think on why we disagree? What do you think is the reason for disagreements?

It's because we're fallible humans!  Either that or you've got to learn to agree with me.  ;)  LOL!

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

Now we see only an indistinct image in a mirror, but then we will be face to face. Now what I know is incomplete, but then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. 
(1Co 13:12)

That is right, yet it does not state the problem which is PERSPECTIVE. Most all arguments are based in the offset of two realities which do not share the same perspective, which in turn leads to the problem of DEFINITIONS. Definitions based on Perspectives are the reason for all arguments and wars. Subsequently Pride will always rear its head when your reality is confronted.

6 minutes ago, Yowm said:

1Cor 13:12 says our knowledge is incomplete, which would include what you state.

knowledge (ginosko) In particular γινώσκω, to become acquainted with, to know, is employed in the N. T. of the knowledge of God and Christ, and of the things relating to them or proceeding from them;  ...of the knowledge of divine things, 1 Cor. 13:12; (Thayers)

1 John 2:26These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. 27But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Teaches us ALL things. That is alot...but...

James 4:3Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Now, this verse speaks of worldly goods, but is not knowledge of everything a worldly good?

Therefore one who seeks knowledge of the world without seeking to glorify God with that knowledge, seeks in error.

Knowledge puffs up, 1 Corinthians 8:1Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. 2And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. 3But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

It seems that Loving God trumps all knowledge.

1 Corinthians 4:6Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sake, so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other.

Which leads back to perspective and definitions. We pretty much it seems should not argue with one another, but turn to God for answers or a different perspective that we may come to the truth without hurting one another.

Everything with Love, hard to do, but we must remember.

We must stay humble.

Love you, peace to you all.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

5 hours ago, Endtime_Survivors said:

Ideally all believers must be of one heart, mind, and soul. Unfortunately the flesh is there to prevent this from time to time (1 Cor 1:10). Some Christians will simply not concede that they are mistaken, and must change their minds or their attitudes. Thus there were contentions in Corinth and Paul had to address those.

Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Speak the same thing = agreement in doctrine and practice

No divisions = no denominations

Perfectly joined together = one heart, one soul, one mind

Same mind = same views and opinions

Same judgment = Same assessment about any matter

• Steward

The hope is that in UNITY of LOVE we'll see true revival.  I'm not speaking of UNITY in spite of truth (i.e. ecumenical movement), but a UNITY in LOVE.

1 Thessalonians 3:12-13  And may the Lord make you to increase and abound in love toward one another and toward all, even as we also toward you,  in order to establish your hearts blameless in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

5 hours ago, Endtime_Survivors said:

I think that two people can have disagreements on how they interpret Scripture. Some of it we should not divide over. If the other person is posting false doctrine we need to discuss it with kindness and grace. We can all agree to disagree and still remain brothers and sisters in Christ. There are so many people on Worthy and that is good. We are all going to have different opinions and we need to respect that.