• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

38 minutes ago, Reformed Baptist said:

Can you point to any other place in scripture where the idiom 'the hour' is used in this same way to refer to two separate events separated by an age of the earth?

*Hour* is frequently used as a metaphor. Not necessarily of "an age of the earth" but by a considerable lag between events, or extending over several years.

SEVERAL HOURS (the Passion of Christ)

Then they sought to take him: but no man laid hands on him, because his hour was not yet come. (John 7:30)

These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as he taught in the temple: and no man laid hands on him; for his hour was not yet come. (John 8:20)

And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified...Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. (John 12:23,27)

SEVERAL YEARS (TribuLation and Great Tribulation)

Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. (Rev 3:10).

Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. (Rev 14:7).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

On 7/30/2016 at 7:54 PM, Ezra said:

*Hour* is frequently used as a metaphor. Not necessarily of "an age of the earth" but by a considerable lag between events, or extending over several years.

SEVERAL HOURS (the Passion of Christ)

Then they sought to take him: but no man laid hands on him, because his hour was not yet come. (John 7:30)

These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as he taught in the temple: and no man laid hands on him; for his hour was not yet come. (John 8:20)

And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified...Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. (John 12:23,27)

SEVERAL YEARS (TribuLation and Great Tribulation)

Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. (Rev 3:10).

Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. (Rev 14:7).

Thanks for the response, however Ezra all these texts refer to single events, which is not what I asked you establish. The death of Jesus Christ was spread over several hours, but it was still a single event. And whilst I am not going to get into the whole tribulations and great tribulation thing in this thread, even if that is the case the reference is still to a single event  however in 1 John 5:28 you want to make it refer to separate events one that occurs at the end of one age of the earth and one that occurs at the end of another age of the earth  - how is that exegetically tenable?   

Lets return John 5:28 for a second and break the phrases down. 

Command: Do not marvel

Reason: For the hour is coming in which

Topic: all who are in the grave will hear his voice

Subsequent: and come forth 

1st Qualification: those who have done good

2nd Qualification: and those who have done evi

Now, ask yourself this question, if Jesus Christ had wanted to make it as clear as he possibly could that there was only going to be physical resurrection that included both the saved and the unsaved what would be the best way for him to say that, and what would be the best way for John to record his words, is there a better way then:  μὴ θαυμάζετε τοῦτο, ὅτι ἔρχεται ὥρα ἐν ᾗ πάντες οἱ ἐν τοῖς μνημείοις ἀκούσουσιν τῆς φωνῆς αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐκπορεύσονται οἱ τὰ ἀγαθὰ ποιήσαντες εἰς ἀνάστασιν ζωῆς, οἱ δὲ τὰ φαῦλα πράξαντες εἰς ἀνάστασιν κρίσεως.

Consider our language again if I was to say: 'don't be surprised the time is coming when the bus will arrive, the red one for me to get on and the black one for you to get on' how would you understand me? By speaking in the singular (whilst a little awkward in English) I have made it clear that I am speaking about a single event therefore you would expect the buses to arrive at the same time - that is how the Greek works here - it signifies a one event in which the righteous and the unrighteous are raised. 

However, Ezra, I do thank for explaining your understanding  of the text and for your efforts in supporting that understanding but I can't help expressing the point that you seem to desire to go anywhere else in scripture (and yes I know I asked to you on that last point) rather then actually exegete the text in hand. We cannot hind behind the concept of progressive revelation to ignore previous texts, rather what we expect is that newer texts will spread more light on older texts, nor yet do we ignore the fact that the whole bible is God's word and he knows the end from the beginning, therefore it is possible that an older text can shed light on a newer text - indeed we rely upon that in our biblical exegesis, we turn to Gen 1-3 to shed light on the gospels and the reason for the coming of the messiah for example.  

Furthermore, an answer to half a question is not really an answer to the question, whilst I am sure you feel the answer you gave is adequate it neglected the key point, you want to separate the resurrections that Jesus refers to into separate events separated by an age of the earth,  so, you need to establish that the idiom  ὥρα  (singular and no article) can refer to two separate events separated by a period of time, rather then one event that transpires over a period of time (which I fully agree the idiom can refer to)