• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

What is Idolatry and wanting things. Like I want a new computer real bad lol. Is that putting it before God. How do you know if you don't love things more then God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

5 minutes ago, tigger398 said:

How do you know if you don't love things more then God.

For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. (1 John 3:20,21).

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Idolatry and material possessions are two different things. Idolatry is the worship of something. Having possessions is just having something we want. There is a big difference in what we want and what we need. If I had that kind of extra money around I would ask myself if all my bills are paid. If all my debts are paid off. That would come first. I would ask myself if my kids and my husband really need anything worse than I need that computer. Especially if the existing computer I have works just fine. I would then ask for the computer for a Christmas,birthday or anniversary gift. The obsession of having a lot of "stuff" can be dangerous for the Christian.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Tig

Someone once told me that if there are any possessions that you cannot let go of then they possess you.....pretty simple ,huh?

When it comes to wanting a new computer there are a couple of things to consider,do you want a new computer because you just like some fancy new look,up to date,more uses.....why do you want a "new" one? Is yours giving you problems,is it affordable to buy a new one,practical.......Tig,firstly,computers have almost become a necessity in this day & age but they are still a luxury in my eyes,it fits into the "wants" column vs, the 'needs"......I never had a computer before I started at Worthy & believe me,before I bought it I asked God for his help in the decision because I see it as a "want".......I simply ask God this way"Father,you know the desires I have....if they are not what they ought to be please remove them & change the desires of my heart as they must be for YOU & to do Your Will"......When God is FIRST in your life He adds much besides spiritual Gifts & blessings,He also makes a Way for us to have things & possessions when our hearts are in the right place,,,,,to give Him Glory!

He Will Reveal your heart to you if you really want to take a look...........Praise the Lord!                        With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

57 minutes ago, tigger398 said:

What is Idolatry and wanting things. Like I want a new computer real bad lol. Is that putting it before God. How do you know if you don't love things more then God.

can you afford it?    Will it stop your regular giving to Gods work?   There isn't really anything wrong with wanting something if you can afford it.  Really nothing wrong if you have to sacrifice for it......   but don't sacrifice what's Gods to get it.

Do you worship it? Do you bow down before it and expect supernatural things from it? Do you offer prayers to it? That is the biblical definition of idolatry. Not to love something, but to worship it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

14 hours ago, tigger398 said:

How do you know if you love that woman you see in the office more then you love you wife? 

Maybe by seeing that when you are with your wife you are thinking about the woman at the office, or maybe by the way you try more and more time with the woman at the office - do you see where I am going with this? 

The thing our hearts and minds dwell on is the thing(s) we love most. 

However, lets be careful as well we have a proper understanding of the first commandment, when God says,  Exodus 20:3 "You shall have no other gods before Me." One has to consider the pagan practices of the time, think about the incident at the temple of Dagon with the Ark. A victorious army would carry off the idols of those they had conquered and put them in their own temples 'before' there own gods as if those idols were now forced to worship their gods. When God says "You shall have no other gods before Me." he is not simply saying 'you shall not have anything in front of me in your life' he is actually saying 'you shall not have anything in my presence at all'

So go back to my illustration of the marriage - how do I know when that woman in the office is 'before my wife' well it is as soon as I look at her like I might look at my wife, or as soon as I begin to think about her as I might think about my wife. 

In regards to a computer then if you are thinking do I love having anew computer more then i love God maybe it is time to repent. 

Guest Robert
13 minutes ago, Reformed Baptist said:

How do you know if you love that woman you see in the office more then you love you wife? 

Psst.....tigger 398's a woman.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

12 minutes ago, RobertS said:

Psst.....tigger 398's a woman.

I know, that is why i worded it as I did - it is a hypothetical illustration :D

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

Sometimes I tell God what I want. I have told God that I want a 3 bedroom house in the country. I told God I want a new jeep. I told God I wanted a washer and drying and actually got them. Still waiting on the house and the new jeep though. I know this does not answer your question. But I think God knows we want stuff. And it makes me feel better to just tell God about it.

Edited by LadyKay