*Deidre*

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

Just curious. I left the faith for a time, and would identify myself a few years ago as an atheist. I remember when some Christians would debate me, and some would just share their faith. I'm of the opinion that sharing our faith, and showing a good example of it to everyone, not just atheists...is the better road to take, than to get into heated debates. What do you typically do when you are talking with atheists about your faith? Do you think debating is helpful or do you prefer just sharing your faith, and planting seeds? 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I usually just share my faith, and how much the Lord has changed in my life. 

Guest Robert

A lot of the times I ever "debated" with atheists on facebook, the questions people would ask got escalated into accusations, insults, denials and outright vitriol on the part of the atheists. And these would be questions someone would ask innocently enough, only to have another come in and start railing against everyone involved! Sharing your faith is how I prefer to talk with people, but sometimes you will end up with folks who insist on "fighting" you and coming up with all sorts of "reasons" why "Christianity doesn't work". What I have found works best is simply answering questions folks have, and not getting personal when accusations are made towards you. One thing to keep in mind: while we may not get through to the person we're talking to (online or IRL), someone else listening or watching may pick up on it; I've had several people watching the discussions I've had on FB and other places come to me later and thank me for helping them understand Christianity better.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I agree with Robert and plant seeds, testify as to what God is doing in my life, and answer questions.  It is useless to reply to insults and accusation.  Since we are to bless those who persecute us and pray for those who spitefully use us, I would just firmly smile at the hateful ones, say God bless you to them, and walk away.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

if you could win someone to Christ using a debate, it would be a simple thing to make Christians......   something you have to take on faith really isn't debatable....   debates demand proof, and that we really don't have...    how can you tell someone about a relationship with God when they don't have a relationship and truly don't understand...

Share your faith would be my suggestion also as others have said and let the Holy Spirit work with them.  It is he that really leads people to Christ anyway..

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Content Per Day:  1.66
  • Days Won:  2

I, also, believe that sharing is much better than debating.  When you try to "force feed" your faith on someone it tends to harden them. That's not the end result we want.  

We need to tell them how Jesus has made a difference in our life, love them without being judgemental of their choices and pray for them.

We cannot make anyone change their mind.  Our job is to point people in the direction of Jesus. He will change their heart. :emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

Share your testimony of salvation- share the gospel-- how can any one refute your own salvation experience--- in the case of a heretic the Bible says confront them three times then leave them alone---  arguing or debating may show your intellectual prowess,  but isnt hat a form of pride??-- gospel seed-- then let the Holy Spirit sunshine and water it~~

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I debate Atheists.

But isn't like the debates I see on YouTube, that is for sure.

My debates with Atheists are rather calm for that matter.

It is a little intimidating at first but the outcome of it either helps you, or helps them.

When I would mention the gospel, or if they would comment on my social media accounts slandering God or saying something sarcastic pertaining to Santa Claus or fairytales. I ask them this question that catches them off guard, for 1, and 2, makes them think. Because one thing I've learned with Atheists and Agnostics is that they are logic thinkers.

"What makes you think it's a fairytale?"

"And how do you feel about that? Thinking that God isn't real."

The straight up psychologist approach.

I have gotten back some answers, majority of them kept on slandering that led to blocking.

When the debate started, the Atheist or the Agnostic had questions and for the Christian, well, they had all the answers. Without science involved and using opinions its easy to explain the gospel to them better and teach them some of it. But as I now know, they rely on science for everything and I have came across some very educated atheists that approached certain science topics well. But they couldn't explain "why" God is the creator of all things. 

So, it depends. I'm not much of a debater, due to harassment or cyberbullying that could take place if I ever engaged in a debate. Debates are for Christians that can handle such slander. But if you want to give it a try to see how atheists think, its one heck of a wake up call to see what God is seeing through your eyes.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

I just love all of your replies, I will reply later. You all get to the heart of the matter, thank you!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

But I no longer get into the "Prove To Me God Is Real" debate. As I think it is pointless. If anyone wants to know I will simply share the experiences I have had with God. If they want to believe me that is fine. If not, so be it. 

Edited by LadyKay