IGNORED

Do you debate atheists?

*Deidre*

Guest Robert
50 minutes ago, ChristianGirl7770 said:

<snip>

When the debate started, the Atheist or the Agnostic had questions and for the Christian, well, they had all the answers. Without science involved and using opinions its easy to explain the gospel to them better and teach them some of it. But as I now know, they rely on science for everything and I have came across some very educated atheists that approached certain science topics well. But they couldn't explain "why" God is the creator of all things. 

So, it depends. I'm not much of a debater, due to harassment or cyberbullying that could take place if I ever engaged in a debate. Debates are for Christians that can handle such slander. But if you want to give it a try to see how atheists think, its one heck of a wake up call to see what God is seeing through your eyes.

That sounds like much of the "debates" I've ever found myself in, and it would start with answering other people's questions (as I mentioned earlier).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, *Deidre* said:

What do you typically do when you are talking with atheists about your faith?

Debate is futile.  But one needs to show atheists that their belief is irrational.  Every creation requires a creator. There is nothing humanly or divinely created that just happened to create itself.

I don't get into debates with atheists. Especially online. It seems that they always through out the same old arguments, the same scriptures taken out of context, the same old accusations. It is exactly what Christ meant when he said not to throw pearls before swine. Once I realize that the person isn't interested in learning about Christ and being born again, but only interested in attacking my faith and GOD, I just walk away.

Guest Robert
10 minutes ago, Rick_Parker said:

I don't get into debates with atheists. Especially online. It seems that they always through out the same old arguments, the same scriptures taken out of context, the same old accusations. It is exactly what Christ meant when he said not to throw pearls before swine. Once I realize that the person isn't interested in learning about Christ and being born again, but only interested in attacking my faith and GOD, I just walk away.

Yeah, I've noticed that in a large part of the "debates", it just seems to be an opportunity to "vent their spleen" about God. No answer seems to do for them, and frankly, for the "new atheists", it turns into a feeding frenzy.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Rick_Parker said:

Oh my gosh, yes this. I belong to some atheist forums, joined a few years ago when I was an atheist...and even when I was an atheist, I didn't bash or mock people, I just asked questions. But, I remember there were times when maybe I wasn't so kind. Because atheism created an anger in me or something, not quite sure. So, often times, I see a lot of anger coming forth at me by atheists, when really if they just asked me questions, I'd be glad to answer them. It isn't a bad thing to have a conversation with an atheist, it's more in their delivery of their message. I have met some very nice atheists however, and most of my friends are atheists and they treat me with respect. If we all could be that way always. :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I would share my faith only.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Yes, I will debate Atheists, I do not love them any less that other unbelievers. Maybe it is because as a former atheist, I have a special place in my heart for them, having stood where they stand. Perhaps it is because, on a human level, it was the debate from a Christian, that led me to seek answers.

1 Pet 3:15,16

15 But in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord, always ready for a defense to everyone asking you an account concerning the hope in you; yet with gentleness and fear, 16 having a good conscience, so that in the case that they might speak against you, those reviling your good manner of life in Christ, they shall be ashamed.

Some of my rules -

• Jesus is the center
  • answer questions with reasoned defense
  • get to the real reason for rejecting God (it is NOT intellectual)
  • treat them better than they treat you, Jesus died for them
  • if you do not know an answer, don't fake it
  • be honest
  • follow up
  • quit, if/when they are not interested
  • pray for them as if their soul depended on it
  • provide them with resources
  • keep it friendly - they are not your enemy
  • when you do not know an answer, find out, for them and for the next time you are asked

Guest Robert
7 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Yes, I will debate Atheists, I do not love them any less that other unbelievers. Maybe it is because as a former atheist, I have a special place in my heart for them, having stood where they stand. Perhaps it is because, on a human level, it was the debate from a Christian, that led me to seek answers.

1 Pet 3:15,16

15 But in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord, always ready for a defense to everyone asking you an account concerning the hope in you; yet with gentleness and fear, 16 having a good conscience, so that in the case that they might speak against you, those reviling your good manner of life in Christ, they shall be ashamed.

Some of my rules -

• Jesus is the center
  • answer questions with reasoned defense
  • get to the real reason for rejecting God (it is NOT intellectual)
  • treat them better than they treat you, Jesus died for them
  • if you do not know an answer, don't fake it
  • be honest
  • follow up
  • quit, if/when they are not interested
  • pray for them as if their soul depended on it
  • provide them with resources
  • keep it friendly - they are not your enemy
  • when you do not know an answer, find out, for them and for the next time you are asked

Sounds like much of what I tried to do Mega; I just don't call it "debating" anymore. Answering questions was the biggest thing I did, and if i didn't know, I researched it for them.

Thing is I found though is a lot of them now do not want a logical answer, and they're far more apt to "shout you down" on FB.  But one thing I will say is this: you have GOT to know your scripture, and why you believe. I've seen too many get taken apart because they got called on something in the bible they had no idea of.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

1 hour ago, RobertS said:

I just don't call it "debating" anymore.

Yeah, well I didn't want to get caught up in the subtleties of words, as soon as you do, it turns into a debate.

That was why I went into detail, as to what I do, and how I approach it, the 1 Pet 3 think being a critical aspect.

According to scripture (as I recall in the book of Acts) Paul debated. The notion of reasoning (1 Pet), apologia, is the same term used in Greek that was used in a court of law, a reasoned defense - and the instruction there is to be ready always, not to be surprised.

To me, apologetics, is just a subspecies of evangelism, with it's center focused on the person of Jesus, not the age ot the earth, how many animals fit on the ark, or stupid questions like "can God create a stone so heavy, that He cannot lift it?" Know what I mean?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

16 hours ago, *Deidre* said:

Just curious. I left the faith for a time, and would identify myself a few years ago as an atheist. I remember when some Christians would debate me, and some would just share their faith. I'm of the opinion that sharing our faith, and showing a good example of it to everyone, not just atheists...is the better road to take, than to get into heated debates. What do you typically do when you are talking with atheists about your faith? Do you think debating is helpful or do you prefer just sharing your faith, and planting seeds? 

It depends on the atheist im talking with....... Some are curious, some are just hateful for the sake of being hateful, and some are trying to prove their "intelligent" point of view ..  so, l listen and respond accordingly.

You really need to try to discern what type of person you are dealing with, as some are sincere and some are just immature jerks who are not interested in listening, they just want to bash a believer.  

Usually, i will try to talk to all of them them using Saint Thomas Aquinas's (in esse fieri) strategy, with a little improv added to it.