• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hey everyone!

I have a question.

I have noticed a lot of street preachers in my hometown and also on social media. Does the bible tell us to preach the gospel on street corners or? Because, the only verse I'm aware of is preaching the gospel to all nations. I don't know if that is considered preaching, I've seen lots of crazy stuff happen to street preachers. So, I'm curious if we as Christians are suppose to do that or not, street preach, etc?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

street preaching is one form of witness but not the only-- Paul and Peter did it -- with success usually-- unless they got stoned or beaten for it~~~~~ if a man  feels he is  gifted by the Lord to preach that way he should pursue it -- if not- don't force it

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Our church often holds outdoor services.  Sometimes we go to parks for our Sunday morning service but otherwise we use our outdoor amphitheater.  We also go to parks as teams to do one on one evangelism and distribute tracts as well.  Right now our middle school age grandchildren are in a park handing out tracts and telling people of God's love.  Yes, they get food thrown at them and take a lot of derision.  But in the parable of the feast Jesus tells them to go to the highways and byways and compel people to come after the original guests had rejected the invitations.  

Street preachers sometimes do good, but I have heard some sounding more hateful and condemning.  Some people may respond to this but not me.  But Jesus once said that he who is not against me is for me.  So I should probably pray for both the preacher and the audience.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

22 hours ago, ChristianGirl7770 said:

Hey everyone!

I have a question.

I have noticed a lot of street preachers in my hometown and also on social media. Does the bible tell us to preach the gospel on street corners or? Because, the only verse I'm aware of is preaching the Gospel to all nations. I don't know if that is considered preaching, I've seen lots of crazy stuff happen to street preachers. So, I'm curious if we as Christians are suppose to do that or not, street preach, etc?

Actually I did this when I was in college.  We would just go out in the early evening and just talk to people.  We saw a lot of good things.  I remember one young man,  he was in High School.  We just shared Jesus with him for about ten minutes.  Then without any hesitation and much joy he gave his life to Christ,  If God is in it, it will happen.  

Blessings, RustyAngeL

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

The harvest is white already to harvest but the workers are few pray therefore that the Lord of the harvest send forth laborers.

How shall they hear without a preacher and how shall they preach except they be sent.  Beautiful are the feet of those who bring the good news of the gospel.

One cannot respond to the gospel message by faith without first hearing the gospel.  Going out into the highways and hedges is one way to compel those in the world that are not saved to come to Christ.   Evangelism is a calling and gift from God and it can be and effectual way for others to hear the gospel message responding to the call or rejecting the call of God to come to repentance.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

On July 30, 2016 at 7:23 PM, RustyAngeL said:

Actually I did this when I was in college.  We would just go out in the early evening and just talk to people.  We saw a lot of good things.  I remember one young man,  he was in High School.  We just shared Jesus with him for about ten minutes.  Then without any hesitation and much joy he gave his life to Christ,  If God is in it, it will happen.  

Blessings, RustyAngeL

Rusty, I call that witnessing.  Our youth have done a lot of this in our parks, at the county fair and during hydroplane races that draw big crowds.  Young adults have also done it.  Street preaching that I think of is standing on a street corner with a megaphone or microphone.  Rarely have I heard them say that Jesus loves and came to save sinners so that they can be forgiven.  The gospel I have heard them preach is that they are all sinners and heading for hell, without telling the rest of the story.  Then they passed a bucket for donations.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

It can be quite effective. Especially those who have never seen the inside of a Church. Some may be offended but we will never be offended by God's precious Word. Planting a seed?

• 9 months later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

It depends mostly on the intent of the preacher.

Horizon Christian Fellowship San Diego, Ca. holds an annual outreach to the homeless and under privileged. If memory serves (we've not been there for almost 20 years) it was around Thanksgiving. Places were set up to lock up their belongings while they had a shower, got donated clothes, had medical and dental exams. And it was incredible to behold and to take part in. 

An old Junior High campus the Church bought for Church services and ran a charter school out of became acres of help and outreach. 

In a wide open area a white haired fellow was up on a crate preaching away.

Nobody went near the guy. And he was doing his best impression of a variety of preachers popular at the time.

A woman in tattered clothes with children around her and a stroller with a baby in it rolled her eyes at the sight of the guy and snorted.

People KNOW when others are taking a genuine interest in them or if they are just trying to get attention or to vent their own aspirations to preach or to put another notch in their evangelism holster (so to speak).

I cannot recall who it was, Martin Luther, or who (I've tried Googling to no avail)... a visiting theolog asked Luther's maid how Luther was so successful in his outreach for the lost. The maid said, kneel here at his desk and I'll show you how he does it. The theolog was anxious to hear how Luther prayed and he would forever pray like he did. "Put your elbows up on the desk..." the maid said. He complied. "Fold your hands." Yes yes he was quite ready for it now.

"Put your face in your hands and weep like a baby for all the lost souls going to hell. That's how the master does it."