• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/20/1973

I am constantly seeing Christians fighting each other over their beliefs.

Some things are important like abortion and homosexuality, but alot of things are trivial.

Why must Christians argue and back bite each other, It's a real put off to accepting what they say.

Edited by fantasymay

Again, because Satan is the god of this world. He loves religion because it actually separates us from GOD and Christ. Instead of listening to what Christians may say, why not read and understand what the Bible teaches. But, to truly understand the things of GOD, you must know him.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 7/31/2016 at 8:27 AM, Rick_Parker said:

Again, because Satan is the god of this world. He loves religion because it actually separates us from GOD and Christ. Instead of listening to what Christians may say, why not read and understand what the Bible teaches. But, to truly understand the things of GOD, you must know him.

Very good answer Rick.

Religion will always separate us from the love of God and from sharing the Gospel.  Religion has nothing to do with the Gospel. 

We as believers in Jesus walk in a relationship with God through Christ.  It is that walk that impels us to share the Good News that God is reaching down to man not the other way around.

Stop looking at people, look to God, His Word and find your answers there.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

On 7/30/2016 at 6:46 PM, fantasymay said:

I am constantly seeing Christians fighting each other over their beliefs.

Some things are important like abortion and homosexuality, but alot of things are trivial.

Why must Christians argue and back bite each other, It's a real put off to accepting what they say.

In your first sentence you say that you are constantly seeing Christians fighting each other over their beliefs. The first thing that I would say about that is that fighting over beliefs is just something that people do. It has nothing to do with being a Christian, it has to do with being human. Most Christians I know are humans, therefore most Christians fight. However, I would even take issue with your choice of words. You say that Christians fight, I don't think I would use that term - it is a loaded word. In this thread you will note that Rick Parker has made a post. Rick and I disagree frequently on the topic of the timing of the rapture as it relates in sequence with the tribulation. When Rick disagrees with me, I don't take it as an act of aggression, I donot believe he is trying to hurt me, I don't believe he bears me any ill will. When I disagree with him I hope he knows that I harbor no bad feelings about him, and we can have intellectual disagreement without at all being enemies. The fact that people can disagree passionately about things does not mean we are fighting. Fighting is something that you are perceiving is going on, but I disagree with you that debate is the same as fighting. 

Did you notice that what I just did in the paragraph above, was to disagree with your conclusion? Let me ask you: "Do you think that when I disagreed with you that I was fighting with you?" I sure hope not, as all I am doing is offering a different perspective of events. Why would I do that? In this case I am doing that so that perhaps you might look at things through slightly different eyes. I hope that I can offer a way of seeing things that can shine a light to illuminate a topic which can be seen from different viewpoints. I hope that when I do that, your question might give you an understanding or answer that you have not considered but more than that I am responding to your question in a way that can help others understand the same issue.

What you see as "fighting", I see as people having a healthy exchange of ideas. I have learned a lot on these forums from listing to people debating different ideas. If these people were to agree all the time about everything, I feel like I would be robbed of information. If all I wanted was to read and hear people all saying the same ideas, always agreeing with each other, I could certainly do that by joining a religious cult like the Jehovah's Witnesses. They all agree with one another and parrot what the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society tells them to believe and say. I don't really want to be with people who do not have the freedom to express what they really think, nor do I want to belong to an organization that tells me what I need to think.

The mind is a precious thing. The freedom to think and to express our thoughts one with another is also a precious thing. To disagree with one another is not a bad thing, it just shows that we are not all perfect in understanding everything that we believe. When we exchange ideas, it gives us the opportunity to help shape one another through greater understanding. A large part of the problem is not that we disagree, is not that we are passionate, is not that we can express ourselves freely, . . . the problem is in how we treat each other. We can disagree with each other and be motivated by wanting to help people learn and understand things. If I have a mistaken belief and my brother believes that I am mistaken and then does nothing to correct me, that might seem like harmony but is also leaving me in my ignorance and I don't think that is loving. I believe that we can passionately disagree with each other and yet do it in love.

When I see a community of believers engaging one another in that way, I don't see it as fighting I see it as an expression of concern. I love the fact that my brother Rick Parker cares enough about me and cares enough about the truth to disagree with me when he thinks I'm wrong and to expose what he believes to be my errors in an expression of his concern both for me and for others of the church who might be misled by what I say. When debate is missing, I see that as a sign that people do not care to correct one another and I see it as a sign of people who have given up the right to express their thoughts. When that happens I suspect that there are ways in which that is really just hypocrisy, and also a form of dishonesty.

I think debate is a healthy thing when the motivation of the heart is right, when it is done respectfully, and when we can set aside our own pride and be willing to hear each other and to be humble enough to listen to one another and be willing to accept correction when necessary.

Taking your idea that disagreement, or as you phrased it: "fighting", is a negative thing, is interesting to consider. What if 2000 years ago someone were to say: "You know, when you disagree like that, it is a real turnoff, it makes me not want to listen to what you have to say!"

I guess that Jesus could have just bit his tongue, and not disagreed with the Pharisees. Do you think we would be better off if we were to sacrifice the expression of the truth in the interest of harmony? I don't think so. 

In 1 Cor 11:19, Paul wrote:

"For there must also be factions among you, so that those who are approved may become evident among you."

Now certainly, debates can get out of hand and turn into actual fighting. People can feel hurt and attacked when people disagree if it is not done in a respectful and loving manner. Sometimes, these disagreements turn into infighting that can cause true division. I take positions that differ from the positions of my own pastor and of course he also takes positions the disagree with my positions. Every Sunday, I go and listen to him preach because he has so many good things to say that I learn from him. I don't always agree, but I do always learn. When we disagree and tell each other of how we disagree we are not enemies I think we are closer friends. The fact that we can disagree with each other in my mind is an evidence that we are comfortable with each other enough to share our thoughts with each other even when we do disagree.

Sometimes, disagreements will lead to things like denominations. I suppose there is some sense in which denominations are dividing the body of Christ. However I also appreciate the fact that denominations exist because it means that I can find a place where I can have fellowship with believers of like minds and practice and it makes the whole church experience more pleasant. Personally, I think that denominations are a good thing. I think it is good that we can have choices. If we didn't have them then Martin Luther would not have been able to protest the Catholic Church, and perhaps the Roman Catholic Church would still today be having a practice where they collected fees to get people out of purgatory or to grant temporary permission to sin. I think God for the many differences and debates that have allowed us to pursue our worship of God and practice of our faith in a way that allows us to freely worship Him as we are convicted to.   (  More on denominations here  )

Perhaps, if any of us are uncomfortable with observing debate, we should about the type of threads where debates occur. Perhaps, some of us, have too combative a nature, too much  pride, too little respect, and too thin a skin, to engage in debate. Each person should examine themselves in this respect.

I hope you found this post to be at least a little bit helpful.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

8 hours ago, Yowm said:

First of all, not all that claim the name...are.

Second, on Judgment Day, standing before God, the excuse that "I didn't believe what your bible said about your Son because the 'christians' acted such and such' is not gonna fly. It's between you and God.

Amen, There in that place at that moment, there will be no excuses. You will be on your own as far as what you did with Jesus.  That is going to be the main question, giving an excuse as Yowm said will not fly.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

On 7/30/2016 at 7:46 PM, fantasymay said:

I am constantly seeing Christians fighting each other over their beliefs...

The term *fighting* is incorrect. Disputing, questioning, refuting, reproving, and correcting are all necessary for spiritual growth. 

Since there are false brethren, false teachers and false prophets constantly sowing seeds of spiritual confusion, it is the duty and the responsibility of every Christian to refute  the lies of Satan.  Nobody likes conflict, but who is the source of conflicts -- that is the issue.

Christians who take their beliefs seriously are generally in agreement, particularly about fundamentals of the faith.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings fantasymay

Boy that Omegaman talks a lot,that why I fight with him all the time,I'm just kidding! Actually,I agree with Mega 100%

Fighting is something that you are perceiving is going on, but I disagree with you that debate is the same as fighting. 

It's funny that I am Italian,Italians are always yelling about this & that at each other ,it's just because we are a "passionate " people and we are even more passionate for "family".....other people would say,"Gee,your family always fights  with each other" & we would look at each other & say"Huh? Fighting? We NEVER fight each other!"

Well,that's sort of how I see Christians,as Mega mentioned about thinking differently & still caring for one another,debating is not fighting,love is never absent ...Christians(true Christians) are the Body of Christ,we are Gods Family,Brothers & Sisters......brothers & sisters are always at each other but they would lay down their life for each other......and yes,we are human

I've been here on WCF for a few years now ,I can't possibly agree with everyone all the time but I can't recall ever having a fight with anyone,I just don't fight and I rarely get into debate,I just don't like it.....stick around here awhile & you will see,the people that like to "argue",for argument's sake,don't really stay around very long and they won't really find anyone here to entertain that nonsense....they even try to bait us,lol or they try to twist our words into something that they are not and claim"poor me,the Christians are ganging up on me".....trust me,we've seen them all & you know what? We still love em.....love them to LIFE!

Ephesians 6:12King James Version (KJV)

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

God Bless you fantasymay,we hope you find something wonderful here......like Jesus:emot-heartbeat:                With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

For once I completely agree with Omegaman :P.   Every person is worthy of compassion irregardless of their beliefs.  All beliefs based on Holy Scripture are worthy of careful investigation to see if these things are so.  Even when we disagree true Christians love and care deeply for one another.  True Christians base their faith on the God revealed in the the Bible through Jesus Christ.  We believe that Christ's death on the cross paid for our shortcomings, failures and imperfections.  

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Because their goal is to be politically correct. No one is correct, only Jesus has the final say.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

20 hours ago, ChristianGirl7770 said:

Because their goal is to be politically correct. No one is correct, only Jesus has the final say.

Not sure what you mean. The words of Jesus and God are in Scripture.  Whoever applies and interprets them according to Scripture is *correct*.  Otherwise everyone is at sea.  And Christians really have no interest in political correctness.  That's for the left-liberals.