• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask what was your experience in the past being with a traditional church or visiting one?

Were both traditional churches (Orthodox & Catholic) friendly upon your visit or if you grew up in the church was there drama or other stuff going on around you?

Reason why I'm asking is because I'm from an Orthodox Church and have taken up the curiosity of visiting other churches to hear other believers opinions upon the traditional churches, etc. I have heard many positive and negative things about the two and I would like to hear yours as well. God Bless!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I was raised Catholic.  The first priest at the church I attended was a sex offender, so obviously that wasn't a great experience.  But when the second priest came (I was about 7) he was very welcoming.      

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

When I have visited the Catholic church I have found it more about being devout than welcoming.  Episcopal and Lutheran churches are also traditional.  The former was my husband's church and he called it a country club.  It did not preach the gospel.  The one I attended taught church history for sermons.  It was friendly but did not put a high priority on godliness.   The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod puts a lot of emphasis on bible, and can also be close socially.  

• 2 years later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

I found the Orthodox Church I attended very inviting. Fr. Photios and His church family were very kind. I have been to many Catholic services during my studies (I went attending Catholic Church and studying their theology, doxology, and etc in depth for a season; I did not convert). In my case the Catholic Churches were half and half: One was more Charismatic and the people were sweet, the other had s sense like you better be one of Stepford wives and they seemed skittish. 

Edited by Fidei Defensor

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

On 7/31/2016 at 9:52 AM, ChristianGirl7770 said:

Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask what was your experience in the past being with a traditional church or visiting one?

Were both traditional churches (Orthodox & Catholic) friendly upon your visit or if you grew up in the church was there drama or other stuff going on around you?

Reason why I'm asking is because I'm from an Orthodox Church and have taken up the curiosity of visiting other churches to hear other believers opinions upon the traditional churches, etc. I have heard many positive and negative things about the two and I would like to hear yours as well. God Bless!

Hi, thanks for asking. My concern when visiting traditional churches is whether they teach the gospel:

1) No one is morally perfect except Jesus Christ

2) Jesus died a horrible death by torture, rising from the dead forever, to pay our sin, guilt and shame

3) Trust Jesus for salvation

or a different gospel:

1) Jesus cannot give assurance of salvation

2) We must do many works to hope to someday possibly be saved

3) Trust your best efforts as God has a scale and takes pretty good people to Heaven, pretty much

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,870
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

6 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

Hi, thanks for asking. My concern when visiting traditional churches is whether they teach the gospel:

1) No one is morally perfect except Jesus Christ

2) Jesus died a horrible death by torture, rising from the dead forever, to pay our sin, guilt and shame

3) Trust Jesus for salvation

or a different gospel:

1) Jesus cannot give assurance of salvation

2) We must do many works to hope to someday possibly be saved

3) Trust your best efforts as God has a scale and takes pretty good people to Heaven, pretty much

the last three sound almost Islamic.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

You've addressed a real issue. All religions apart from biblical, born again Christianity are works-based, I save myself, Jesus doesn't save.

Edited by Billiards Ball
  • Thumbs Up 2