• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hey everyone,

Recently on my church adventure, I came across something that was rather out in the open that led me into deep thought but I need feedback.

Are we, Christians, considered to be saints or disciples of Christ?

I was at a local church I visit ever so often on my church journey and a pastor during his bible study sermon mentioned that we are all saints due to our belief in Jesus Christ. I wonder what your opinions are? Please give feedback. Thanks & God Bless!

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

Both.

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,460
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,738
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Shalom Christian Girl,

So glad to see you around.  The question you ask, I don't think has to be answered as an either / or, but rather two distinct titles that are given to those who follow Jesus.

In the ancient times, you would have a Rabbi, and his "talmudim" or his "disciples" and they would study under a Rabbi learning all of his teachings or sayings.  For example, when we think of the Sermon on the Mount, many think this was given one time -- but in all reality, it probably was the main teaching of Jesus and was given dozens, if not hundreds of times.  So his "disciples" were called to learn the teachings of their rabbi.  So a disciple in a sense from the ancient Hebraic understanding is one who studies the teachings of their rabbi and follows them so the emphasis of a disciple is learning.

A saint on the other hand, is one that is "holy" or that is "set apart".  It comes from the Greek word -- Hagios which means Holy and the emphasis of being a "saint" is holiness.

In reality, we should be both a "disciple" or one that is always learning from our Rabbi (Yeshua - Jesus) and a "Saint", one that is separated and holy for His name's sake.

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

When we continue to study and keep the words of Jesus we become His disciples.   A couple of the things that we learn is that God sets apart for Himself all who have repented and come to saving knowledge of Christ.  And we also learn that we should separate ourselves from the world's values and "put on" Christ, adopting His values and attitudes.  We learn that friendship with the world's habits and ideals is being an enemy of God.

Rom 12:1  WEB  Therefore I urge you, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service.

Rom 12:2  Don’t be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, well-pleasing, and perfect will of God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Eph 1:1

1st Corin 1:2

Colos 1:2

once we repent of sin and follow Jesus we are saints

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Christiangirl

I think George really gave you a very good explanation of why we(Christians) are BOTH,he defined them wonderfully.....I am confident your question has been answered & clarified for you                      God Bless you & Keep you,Praise Jesus!                          With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

On 8/4/2016 at 10:15 AM, ChristianGirl7770 said:

Are we, Christians, considered to be saints or disciples of Christ?

We are considered to be saints by God and required to become disciples of Christ.

23 hours ago, Ezra said:

We are considered to be saints by God and required to become disciples of Christ.

1.) What is the specific authority that has created us to be Saints in God's eternal perspective?

2.) Once , "Saint" is established  by this authority, ... then what happens if the Saint becomes a backslider instead of a "good disciple"...=  while at the same time being a Saint?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, Behold said:

1.) What is the specific authority that has created us to be Saints in God's eternal perspective?

The gift of the Holy Ghost is given to every sinner who repents and believes (Acts 2:38).  To have the indwelling Holy Spirit is to be sanctified positionally, and thus called "saint" or sanctified one. The moment a person becomes a child of God, he becomes a saint of God.

2 hours ago, Behold said:

2.) Once , "Saint" is established  by this authority, ... then what happens if the Saint becomes a backslider instead of a "good disciple"...=  while at the same time being a Saint?

A backslider is convicted, admonished, rebuked, chastised, handed over to Satan to be afflicted, and (if unrepentant) removed prematurely from the earth. See Acts 5 for an example.  That person is still saved, still a sinning saint, and still a child of God. 

Simon Peter denied Christ three times, repented, and was fully restored. Simon the Sorcerer, on the other hand, was a pretender, and was consigned to Hell.

1 minute ago, Ezra said:

The gift of the Holy Ghost is given to every sinner who repents and believes (Acts 2:38).  To have the indwelling Holy Spirit is to be sanctified positionally, and thus called "saint" or sanctified one. The moment a person becomes a child of God, he becomes a saint of God.

A backslider is convicted, admonished, rebuked, chastised, handed over to Satan to be afflicted, and (if unrepentant) removed prematurely from the earth. See Acts 5 for an example.  That person is still saved, still a sinning saint, and still a child of God. 

Simon Peter denied Christ three times, repented, and was fully restored. Simon the Sorcerer, on the other hand, was a pretender, and was consigned to Hell.

Jesus is also our sanctification as well as our eternal life ... 1st Corinthians 1:30 .. 1st Jn 5

Our authority comes from God who gives us "power (and the right)  to become the Sons of God". John 1:12

Backsliders who are saved, are absolutely eternally secure, as the Blood Atonement once applied, cant be remitted by deed, thought, or word......Such is the wonder of the Grace of God.