Sign in to follow this  
Kenji Better Lived Lives

The Challenge

This is just part of my story.

At 20 years old I believed I had life figured out. I knew how to put cash into my pocket and a roof over my head. I was able to do what I wanted whenever and wherever I wished.There was nothing I wanted from church, so in my mind, I didn’t need it. Same with God.

I determined to think positive, work hard and keep moving forward with my ultimate goals always in mind.

The formula was simple: get cash in whatever way possible, and keep it coming.

Why would I need God? I had science.  I knew why the sky was blue and the sun came up every morning. I didn't need to read a book that was thousands of years old and had no relevance to my modern life.

If you were to ask me how the world was created, I would have said the big bang. If you asked me what caused the big bang, I would have answered, “It just happened.”

That was my limited way of thinking because my world was so small.  I had become a criminal at a young age.  Organized crime is not just about committing crimes, it is a way of life that takes over.  Everyone in the life looks at every situation through tinted glass: how can we benefit on a large scale.  Everyone around me did the same.  I cut my hair, shaved and dressed like I was told. Every person I was around was part of the life, or I didn’t consider them a friend.

I wanted to expand and become more successful which means I wanted more cash each week. I asked my capo, Jimmy, to put me with Mark - an older gambler who ran a sports book.  In other words, Mark was a bookie.  I had sold parlay cards and other sports gambling products so I knew the world.  Mark showed me how to set up my book and balance it.  I learned the lingo and the kind of bets gamblers would place.  

The next year I was ready to go out on my own.  My first year I did well because I had older guys like Mark helping me along.  The next year I did even better and I expanded.  Everyone gambles and it does not hurt anyone - this is what I told myself over and over again.  This was a big lie because a person who is addicted to gambling will do anything to feel the thrill. Even when faced with ruin, these people kept gambling.

I soon swallowed up smaller bookies and they began working for me.  The money came easily because I was the house and the house always makes 10% on any bet.  I used the extra cash to loan out and gain more cash through loans.  Gambling is unlike any other business because you are not out any real product, only figures on a sheet of paper.

After twelve years I couldn’t stand my life at all. I wanted out of the life, but I was not willing to go through the uncomfortable period it would take to change.  The criminal's dream is to find something that will bring in the same amount of cash that they are making except the profit becomes legal.  Until I realized that my way of thinking was broken and had to change, I would go no place fast. It wasn’t until my dream became getting out of the life altogether, profit or not, that I would find the answer.

God’s timing is perfect, but I didn’t know that at the time.  The FBI offered me a chance at a fresh start, and that was the turning point. I spent the next 8 years trying to undo what I spent my life before doing.  While I was still a part of the criminal world for the next eight years, I was no longer there as a criminal but as an informant for the FBI.  

God gave me a fresh start, but it took me almost another ten years of trying to start over on my own before I turned to Him.

The challenge for me was to let God guide me instead of trying to find my own way.  It is a process that I am still going through and will be going through for the rest of my life. I know that everything I encounter is part of His plan, and I have to surrender my plans to His. When I look back at my life, I see a lot of mistakes.  I also see God's hand at work. Success, I have learned, is all relative to what you consider successful.  The things our world considers success we learn in the Bible are very different from what early Christians, like Paul, considered most valuable - knowing Christ as our savior.

Philippians 3:7-14 (NIV)

7 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in[a] Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.

I have learned some very hard lessons and all that I have learned about true success has helped me in two ways.  The hard work and positive thinking is still a part of my life.  I learned that I cannot be successful with doing what I feel is right, true success comes from knowing we are flawed and Christ bridged the gap between our flaws and God, offering himself as a sacrifice.  All the success you think you have or aim for will never be enough until you ask God into your life and make knowing and serving Him your definition of success.

• Praise God! 1

:emot-heartbeat:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By fileoflife
      Pslams 27 An Exurberant Declaration Of Faith, Ephesians 6 Is The Suit Of Armor!! I had to come to the End of my self to be Blessed With This Truth......First Step Is Declaring The Goodness Of The LORD, preparing myself for the next Step, Step Two Spiritual War.....I stand on this with every ounce of Truth that Jesus Is!! I can't tell folks enough just how VITAL this is in our Spiritual Warfare, one cannot afford to back down, one must Remain Standing, no matter what! I trust God with all that I am for it is not my goodness that brings the victory, it is HIS..... we, as children of the Most High must TRUST HIM, No Matter What!! To Fear Him is a Literal Blessing Of Vital Importance, It's POWERFUL!!
      February 6,2020 will be 3 years that a diagnosis of Stage 4 NSCLC Metastatic, I was not to have survived the month, my SECRET started 18 months before the diagnosis, got laid off and lost my home and became homeless, 9 days later the left side of my brain paralized and my speech, then the diagnosis....I was in a homeless shelter and was coughing up blood, so I said to the LORD, if I am still doing this come morning I will go to the homeless clinic.... morning came as did the blood, kept my word and went to the clinic, an X-Ray was ordered, while I was waiting for the results I went to the smoking area and sat down at the pinic table facing the East.... it was crazy, NO ONE CAME OUT FOR A SOLID 45 Minutes, it was God and me.....dude, the ground didn't shake, no fire works went off, no bells were ringing, BUT He Showed UP!! 
      This is the talk we had on that day: Abba this just can't be turburculousis, I can't bare that, all these ladies and their babies getting sick because of me, Please don't let it be that....response, Warmth Came Across My Face and I continued.... we's about to find out what it is, well LORD I should say, I'm fixin to find out what You already know, I think its cancer Abba, this is bigger than me, but it ain't Bigger Than You...I ain't askin You to heal me or deliver me, no Sir, I ask for Peace...I will walk through anything You want me too, BUT, I ain't goin through it Without You.....Jesus, don't let it take over my Brain, I couldn't bare not being able to say Your Name or Speak Your Word, I don't care if I don't remember my childrens names or anybody eleses, Your Name, Your Word I must have....response, His was Standing Right Beside me, His Hand on my shoulder.....He Granted me my Request.....
      Many things have happened over these 3 years, MANY....I AM STANDING IN JESUS AS HE STANDS IN THE FATHER, AS KING DAVID IS A MAN AFTER GOD'S OWN HEART!!! Ya'll Jesus told us, it's Gonna Be HARD, BUT, He Paid The Price IN FULL For ALL OF US....Question is, do you believe Him? This diagnosis has been a BLESSING, tears are rolling down my face as I type this, lessons, beauty, grace, WOW, it ALL SAYS " I'm alive IN JESUS ", truth somebody has it worse than me, I count this As Joy, for my LORD calls me His Friend and will take care of me, I'M STILL ALIVE and you can not tell at all that cancer is Present.....I trusted Him as a child and Bless His Sweetness Towards me He kept His Promise.......
      I love ya'll with The Father's Love and am confident that the Race Set Before U, U Already Have The Victory, Just Read These Two Chapters and Allow The Grace To Take Place, it's Beautiful, it's Jesus.......
    • By Behold
      Casting Curses,.... this is an interesting topic.

Witches cast them.
      Unbelievers are under one ...  John 3:36. This is the judgement of God against every Christ rejector, that is created originally by the "curse of the law",....... that "Jesus has removed the curse of the Law", FROM the Born Again, because of the Cross... "Cursed is everyone who HANGS on a TREE"..(Cross).

Also, its all about and related to, the power of the "tongue". As your bible tells you that "life and death" are IN the power of the tongue.... the words you speak.
      The words of Jesus are Truth and Life.
      When Jesus spoke, it was Truth or Life filled words.
      The word of the Gospel, preached and then BELIEVED, becomes a holy seed that can regenerate, thru the Holy Spirit, a dead spirit in a person and cause it/them to be Born Again.

Words are very powerful.

God "spoke" the world into existence THRU the Word.
      Jesus is the "Word", pre-incarnate and "The word made flesh, Incarnate..... and that is why He is acclaimed to be and explained as the Creator in Colossians 1:16
      In John 1:10 you are told that Jesus stood on the world He Created.
      Consider that the baby feet of Jesus, .. the very first time they touched the dirt of the earth, were touching the World that He, as God Incarnate, created when He was still. "The Word was with God", "in the Beginning".

How do you curse yourself, if you are a Born Again Christian?
      By what you say.  
      Your words are the power of your "tongue" creating your destiny. Every word you speak is a seed being sown, and every seed you sow out of your MOUTH, will come back to you, as a harvest.
      Your NT says that you will be judged by the words that you speak, and this means that your own words will become your judge and your destiny, while you are alive, and when they profess the Faith you have In Christ, ..... God then accepts this as "faith is counted as Righteousness"...= to give you the "Righteousness of Christ" and "The Gift of Salvation".

There is also the fact that even tho Jesus "has redeemed us from the curse of the law" on the CROSS so that all judgment due us for our sin that was previously waiting for us in Eternity, before we were saved, has been given to HIM...  YET..His death does not remove this problem..= The law of "sowing and reaping". So, you have 2 things to deal with in your life that are word based and deed based, .......harvests.  
      What you speak is a seed, and what you do is a "sowing and reaping" deed situation.
      If you are in the FAITH,..... if you are really focused on discipleship and serving God and studying to show yourself approved and daily live to please God, very God conscience, then you will watch your mouth and you will control your deeds so that you do not bring upon yourself, their bad fruit as a harvest of pain, sorrow, and worse.

Let me show you how you can get cancer, a heart attack, a stroke, a brain tumor....etc, etc.. just using your own mouth.
      You do it like this....

""""well, you know, my mama had high blood pressure, mental illness, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, a temper problem, blindness, AND I BET I'LL GET IT TOOOOOO""""".

SEE THAT? You just prayed the prayer of FAITH to get SICK, and maybe DIE.
      So......Watch your mouth. Your mouth is a POWER to bring to your life, whatever you speak and BELIEVE.
      Or as Jesus said, "whatsover ye believe , you shall have it".
      "thy Faith hath made you whole".
      And your FAITH can make you SICK.

Saint, ... FAITH can harm you, if you are using it to harm yourself.

Watch your mouth.
      Never curse yourself with it, or the people you love, etc, etc....
    • By Behold
      To answer this, i need to speak plainly....

Never even toy with the idea of dating someone who is not born again, if you are....

If you do, and they are nice, interesting, sexy, smell good, have nice pecs, pretty eyes, long legs, and are fun to be with........you'll fall in love quickly,  which generally means you have fallen in LUST.
      You can call it a "crush" if you like....
      And once you do that regarding an unbeliever, the devil owns you.

Now listen to me. Im going to give you a truth that can save your life...
      Its this.
      When the Devil has you marked for destruction, He will send someone into your life.
      That is 100% of the time.
      He'll tempt you all the time, but when he is aiming for your total destruction.....your life, your witness, your future......he will send a person to you..
      Often its the opposite sex.

Paul says to run from any chance you might fornicate.   Not to resist it, not to debate it, not to pray about it, but to RUN FROM IT>......"flee".
      Paul understands your body and your urges. = Heed him.
      And dating is nearly the same thing, trying to happen..
      Dating requires some self control, usually more then you have....

Enter at your own risk, if all your dating is just "you 2 all alone, most of the time".
    • By Behold
      Here is how to understand the "curse of the Law" and HOW God resolved and eliminated this curse from you.
      God, as Christ...... came here, to fulfill the Law so that we are no longer "cursed" by it.
      And what is this "curse"?  The curse, is that the Law/Commandments can't give you Righteousness.  This is why God said he "found fault" with the 1st Covenant. (Torah)   Hebrews 8:7.
      In other words, the law and commandments, (Torah) (Old Testament) can't give you what God requires you to have, so that He can accept you and save you.  (born again).
      He "found fault" with the Torah, with the Law, with the Commandments. Hebrews 8:7   This is the 1st Covenant. (Torah) (Old Testament)   So, He created the NEW Covenant, the NEW TESTAMENT, as the solution for this "fault" that He recognized as the "Law" "commandments" (Torah) (Old Testament)
      So, what is the eternal issue?  What is the "fault", what is the FAILURE of the TORAH, (old testament)  the Commandments, and the Law?  Why did God have to replace them with Himself on a Cross, to offer GRACE in place of works and law and commandments?
      The reason is.....all the Law can do, all the commandments can do, is JUDGE YOU.   That is what they do.  That is all they can do.    See, the reason you and me and everyone born, is a SINNER, is because the LAW and Commandments, have pronounced us to be failures at keeping them....= TRANSGRESSORS of the Law and Commandments....= YOU ARE A SINNER, as defined by the LAW and COMMANDMENTS, that you have broken.  "all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God".....SAYS THE LAW.......SAYS THE COMMANDMENTS.
      So, that is all the law and commandments can do .....is JUDGE YOU.   So, God "found fault" with this, (Torah) (Law),...Hebrews 8:7   = because you can't be given righteousness by them....So, God created a new Eternal contract with you, that He offers as "the gift of righteousness" , that frees you from the "curse of the law" that has perfectly defined you as a SINNER.   So, to do this, He had to create and did create,  a New Covenant.   God's covenants are BLOOD based.  Sacrifice Based.    As in the Old, you had animal sacrifices, and in the New Covenant you have JESUS"S BLOOD that establishes the NEW TESTAMENT, or New Covenant.   So, this New Testament, is God's 2nd and NEW Covenant that He offers as a REDEMPTION FROM the 1st Covenant, (law and commandments)(old testament)(Torah) that JUDGED you all your life as a sinner.   So, the NEW Covenant, the NEW Testament, is Jesus shedding blood and dying, to release you and to eternally free you forever from the Law  that was judging you as a sinner.
      Jesus Himself took this judgment due YOU, required by the Law,  and died in your place for it.  And because He did this on the Cross, God is able to take THAT FINISHED Redemption, and offer it as the " GIFT of RIGHTEOUSNESS" that replaces the Law, The old testament, 1st Covenant, Torah....... and establishes you as "the righteousness of Christ".....= This is God's SALVATION... Its a Blood Atonement that eliminates the Law's ability to judge you as a sinner, and establishes you AS a "new creation". "IN Christ"... as "born again" into God's family... = As the "righteousness of Christ".    You have been changed if you are born again.  You are now "in Christ", and no longer under the Law, IF you are Born again.
      Redemption, Salvation, = is the Grace of God....Its the mercy of God, where He himself, as Christ, has resolved this issue of the Law being able to judge you as a SINNER.   He has removed this JUDGEMENT..  And in its place is the New Covenant<>New Testament. = The GRACE OF GOD.  "Justification BY Faith".  "The GIFT of Righteousness".
      The "Gospel" is defining HOW He did this......  And "Grace thru faith, without the law, without works", is the Method and REASON.   Literally.
      So, when we say a person is "saved"....they are saved from "the curse of the law" that was defining them as a SINNER.  And they are also saved from HELL, where they were going, because the Law and Commandments had judged them worthy to go there.
      God's Grace has resolved ALL of  this, and this is the Eternal effect of the  Blood Atonement, that is applied to a BELIEVER,  by God, thru FAITH =  when you "believe in Jesus". And are BORN AGAIN.
    • By Behold
      On Christmas Day, we as believers, and a whole lot of the unsaved world celebrate CHRISTmas.
      Thats correct, you can't have Christmas, without CHRIST in the word, tho you would think you can as everywhere you go now, you hear....>"happy holidays", instead of  "Merry CHRISTmas".
      This lightly annoys me, so i always reply...... MERRY CHRISTMAS, whenever i find myself in the presence of a politically corrected dip stick.
      So, try this that im about to show you.... on your family and your friends and your neighbors, as it will be quite an experience for you to enjoy, while they get to partake, also.
      Do this :
      On Christmas eve, or before...... bake a birthday cake, or buy one from your local Walmart or .....similar.
      On Christmas morning, when all are gathered with you, or on Christmas eve, ( or Both) if you are game........show them the cake with one Candle LIT, and have them sing this with you.

"Happy Birthday to you.  
      Happy Birthday to YOU
      Happy Birthday LORD JESUS...... Happy Birthday to YOU".

Try that.
      It'll bless you, and it'll help them to see the LIGHT.

Merry CHRISTmas,

<B><