creativemechanic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

I recently got  spoken to a pair  of older christians expressing their disdain for music at a church. In short- the dont like the fact that the church uses choruses (they use a combination of hymns and choruses) and are adamantlyy in favour of the old hymns exclusivley.  I didnt really bother agruging it knowing how hard it is to convince older people to change an opinion theyre used to, but i find the debate hilarious.

1. Older people say they detest choruses, but younger or newer converts say they prefer choruses as the hymns make the service seem dead.
  2. Older people  forget that whatever songs theyre used to  had to be new at some point.
  3.  some insturments are strictly off limits and seen as wrong, drums guitars etc. and other are ok. Forgetting that biblically lots of instruments were used. The piano (which wasnt invented yet) isnt there. But stringed instuments and i might be wrong drums were allowed

.So whats yr opinion on what music should be played in church.

my stance is this- the music leader  consult God, follow his instructions on it and forget abt the tradition and pandering.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

12 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

I recently got  spoken to a pair  of older christians expressing their disdain for music at a church. In short- the dont like the fact that the church uses choruses (they use a combination of hymns and choruses) and are adamantlyy in favour of the old hymns exclusivley.  I didnt really bother agruging it knowing how hard it is to convince older people to change an opinion theyre used to, but i find the debate hilarious.

1. Older people say they detest choruses, but younger or newer converts say they prefer choruses as the hymns make the service seem dead.
  2. Older people  forget that whatever songs theyre used to  had to be new at some point.
  3.  some insturments are strictly off limits and seen as wrong, drums guitars etc. and other are ok. Forgetting that biblically lots of instruments were used. The piano (which wasnt invented yet) isnt there. But stringed instuments and i might be wrong drums were allowed

my stance is this- the music leader  consult God, follow his instructions on it and forget abt the tradition and pandering.

I have no issue what so ever with what type of music is play in church. What annoys me is when someone does not like a certain type of music personally, and they try to get ride of it by claiming it is sinful somehow.

On a side note: You are never going to be able to please everyone. If you play nothing but hymns, someone would complain about that and what choruses.

Edited by LadyKay

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

That part of your post is excellent. The worship leader should consult the Lord on what to play or not play, what instruments to use or not use. Its uncanny how often the music chosen in my church matches the sermon, even though the pastor and worship leader dont try to coordinate. 

For the rest of the post ....

If a focus is only on the music being played, then are they focused on worshiping the Lord? 

I dont always like the selections of music played but I figure I can listen to what I like at home. Im there to worship the Lord with the members of my church. Worship as a corporate body. 

As for what type of instruments, does it matter? As long as its a "joyful noise" to the Lord, its good.

If a church really wants to placate its members, then play a hymn and a newer chorus. Something for both. 

Btw, while I like hymns, Im an older person who likes some newer music too. Dont label all of us older folks as too stuck in our ways to appreciate the newer choruses.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

This is a difficult subject to conclude on because everyone has their preferences to music. 

And people have beliefs about certain styles or types of songs based on their theology - right or wrong.

If you are a worship leader, the best you can do is be servant to the congregation by being sensitive to their hearts. But with so many different sensitivities going on, the best you can do is create a mixture of things, I guess - if you are capable. (Ha!)

But first and foremost, if you are not worshiping yourself, how can you lead others into worship?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Not everyone in a Church congregation is ever going to be happy.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

5 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

I go to a church where there is hand raising and praise and worship music.  I love it.  I also love the old hymns.  I have a friend who is in a church where it is only old hymns.  She hates the music at my church and has even made fun of it.

I think whatever it takes to bring people in and get them saved is what we need to do.  

I have even become a fan of the band Skillet.  They are a group of good solid born again kids that love seeing people saved.  

So I agree totally with you. 

Blessings, RustyAngeL

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

3 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I have been to a large church back East that has 2 sanctuaries, one downstairs with traditional music for the older folks and the conservative folks like me. They have a second sanctuary upstairs for the contemporary set. Older folks have just as much right to live as young folks. There are a lot of good churches out there, let people choose what suits them.

It's all about praising God and giving Him the glory. 

Guest Robert

Look at it this way: King David's first wife had a problem with the worship he was doing. We're always going to have folks with personal preferences when it comes to worship music.

The thing is: our worship isn't for others, it's for the Lord.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  12/15/1941

I personally do not like the new music or praise music as I believe it is called all though I may be wrong. It tells me that what was good for over 100 plus years is no longer good enough for the young folks. What generation is coming up short on belief systems and  morals? I visited a church that was focused on the younger generation without they would have no congregation.

I guess that I'm just an old timer, but I always found that the old pair of shoes felt better then the new. Have a good day.

Edited by PatrolMan
miss use of a word

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

That's the thing. A big problem is people take- I prefer to mean-what God wants. And act like the music style they don't like is wrong or evil or isn't gonna minister to the hearers. If I took amazing grace and changed the music but left the lyrics some people would think its inappropriate